China in July/August.

goody1

Hi,

My wife and I are considering doing the Viking Roof of the World Tour in late July/early August next year.

We are looking for advice from cruisers who have been there at this time of the year. I appreciate it will be pretty hot and humid, but how bad is it? We are experienced cruisers, however this will be our first river cruise. We have no option to vary the dates due to her job.

Thanks very much.

Hi,

My wife and I are considering doing the Viking Roof of the World Tour in late July/early August next year.

We are looking for advice from cruisers who have been there at this time of the year. I appreciate it will be pretty hot and humid, but how bad is it? We are experienced cruisers, however this will be our first river cruise. We have no option to vary the dates due to her job.

Thanks very much.

We just got back 8/4/11 from the Viking Imperial Jewels of China trip. It was EXTREMELY hot and humid. Generally, I much prefer heat to cold - but it was at times unbearable. I've been to Disney World in Florida in August when it is extremely hot and humid, but China was hotter and more humid. However, if it means anything, New Jersey was also having an extreme hot spell at the same time as when we were on the trip.

Aside from that, the trip was absolutely amazing and I would not have missed it, even with the heat.

We are going on August 29th and expecting hot weather. We have a question about the water. Are you limited to one bottle (2l) each day in the cabin? how much did they charge for bottles when you leave the boat and for non alcholic drinks on the boat. Thanks.

We are going on August 29th and expecting hot weather. We have a question about the water. Are you limited to one bottle (2l) each day in the cabin? how much did they charge for bottles when you leave the boat and for non alcholic drinks on the boat. Thanks.

No limits on bottled water, not on the Emerald or in your hotels. If you want more, just call housekeeping. By day two on the boat, our cabin steward knew we liked to have a lot of water around, and made sure we were fully stocked. Between drinking the water and using the water to brush our teeth, we went through many, many bottles a day, and that was in May.

There will be bottles of water on the buses as well, though they were never cold (and in one town, the bottled water tasted like petroleum).

Soda on the Emerald was free at meals.

Ours wasn't. I think it was $2.50/can. Only water, iced ta and coffee were free.

That's bizarre. In May, when I ordered a Sprite or Coke at lunch, our server brought me a glass of soda; no can and no charge. (There were charges for soda at the bars...)

We just got back 8/4/11 from the Viking Imperial Jewels of China trip. It was EXTREMELY hot and humid. Generally, I much prefer heat to cold - but it was at times unbearable. I've been to Disney World in Florida in August when it is extremely hot and humid, but China was hotter and more humid. However, if it means anything, New Jersey was also having an extreme hot spell at the same time as when we were on the trip.

Aside from that, the trip was absolutely amazing and I would not have missed it, even with the heat.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Although I believe it would be a fantastic trip, I think the heat/humidity in July as well as possible altitude sickness in Tibet would be an issue. This kind of trip is for when we are retired, albeit 11 years away, allowing us to go at a different type of the year.

Archived