Gratuities

shintaro

Shintaro-

There is an automatic service charge applied to your onboard statement. A service charge of 7 Euro a day for all Europe/Med. sailings. The service charge for the Caribbean is $12.00 USD per day. This amount can be minimized or maximized, but must be done while you are onboard the ship, just visit the Accounting Dept.

*Please note the amounts are subject to change depending on the itinerary.

I have not sailed on this line as of yet we're still in the planning stages of our vacation. However I've been looking at all the different websites for the lines and found-

From the MSC website:

"For your convenience MSC Cruises will automatically add a daily Hotel Service Charge to your shipboard account, based on your chosen itinerary and the number of days for which the services are actually provided. The Hotel Service charge serves to ensure we maintain the highest quality standards of service to our guests. The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind and cannot be modified. However, should you wish to remove any of the daily Hotel Service Charge in the unlikely event that you do not receive satisfactory service, you may do so by contacting the Guest Relations Manager on board."

My personal thinking-

Whos to say the "unsatisfactory service" complaint isn't just to get the charges taken off the bill for whatever reason.

Also from reading many posts on this issue with many cruiselines lines it seems Americans can take it off if they want to without giving a reason but people from most other countries are forced to pay it if they want to or not.

"

My personal thinking-

Whos to say the "unsatisfactory service" complaint isn't just to get the charges taken off the bill for whatever reason.

Also from reading many posts on this issue with many cruiselines lines it seems Americans can take it off if they want to without giving a reason but people from most other countries are forced to pay it if they want to or not.

I've got to agree with your comment about complaints and from what I have read a lot of the complaints are more about comparisons with other services on other ships.

We also had a rumour on our cruise (sailing with a bus load of Aussies) that Aussies didnt need to pay. We chose to pay ours because it seemed fairer than tipping the one who serves you. The gratuities we were told are shared among all the staff. So even those behind the scenes get tips (i'm thinking kitchen staff, laundry staff etc...) and the ship was kept immaculate but hey do you go and tip the person you see cleaning ??? I think not. Anyway lots of Aussies had their charges reversed but personally I didnt think this was fair. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone!

Our guest's who book with the MSC USA office are given the availability to remove the service charge should they feel the need to do so. The laws are different for each country.

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

Hi Everyone!

Our guest's who book with the MSC USA office are given the availability to remove the service charge should they feel the need to do so. The laws are different for each country.

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

Why are non-USA bookings discriminated against by MSC? As a UK resident, booked via USA, why should I have this choice when others do not?

Hi Everyone!

Thank you,

MSC Cruises USA

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I am a US resident going on a European cruise. Can I have the service charge removed or can you only do that if you are cruising in the US? On other cruise lines we have had the option of getting envelopes and giving our gratituties right to the people we feel deserved that. On most of our cruises I have found that everyone works very hard and we just do the service charge and the give extra is someone has gone above and beyond.

I suspect MSC USA means that consumer law in the US is different so they have to allow people booking with them to remove gratuities. However I'd be interested in the clarification of this.

For example if I as a UK resident book a cruise via a US TA, is it US or European legislation that applies?

I suspect MSC USA means that consumer law in the US is different so they have to allow people booking with them to remove gratuities. However I'd be interested in the clarification of this.

For example if I as a UK resident book a cruise via a US TA, is it US or European legislation that applies?

Maybe I could be the guinea pig!!;)

I think the comment from MSC USA may be worded like it is because the writer can only speak for their own office. From what I have observed on the two cruises I was on everyone could have their charges reversed - but it is not something I would recommend because the staff are truly deserving of this extra income. I do know that some Australians and a Norweigan couple that we spoke to on our cruise had their charges reversed. We Austalians had all booked through MSC Australia and were cruising in the MED. I dont know where the Norweigans had booked. I prefer to have the charges than to try and work out who deserves tipping and how much ??? :eek: lol, thats a big one for an Aussie, we dont know how to tip :eek: and I think it fairer because from my understanding the tips are spread wider than the few people you see doing your cabin or serving you at dinner.

The ship is spotless, they deserve your tips. The dining staff and others behind the scenes serve you and they deserve your tips. They clean your cabin and they also deserve your tips. The behind the scene people that make sure your cruise is nice deserve your tips. If you think you want to adjust them to hand out your own tips it does not work well that way. The staff must report this and they know if you have taken the auto tips off. Then they are still pooled and divided. This puts the employee at risk also. Only if you leave the auto on and then give them extra can they keep it.

Every cruise line tips unless you are on some of the luxury ones that are included. To cruise with the notion of not tipping is not right to those that serve you. It is an added expense which the traveler should and needs to budget for.

Archived