Statendam H category -- Comments/ Upgrades

JeffreyLA

I am on the Statendam for a repositioning cruise of 4/20 from San Diego to Vancouver and have booked an H category outside cabin.

No one told me - and the descriptions did not say - that it has a porthole and not a window. I did book a guarantee so here are my questions:

1) Has anyone been in an H category outside cabin on the Statendam? How was it?

2) What about upgrades? Any experiences that might be applicable? Again this is a repositioning cruise on 4/20. Is the fact that it is a 4 day repositioning cruise in my favour?

3) What if they upgrade me and would prefer to go down a category if I don't like th cabin --can I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey

I stayed in 'G' and 'H' category cabins on Statendam and Veendam.

Found them roomy, and plenty of light comes in thru the 2 portholes.

But if you downgrade, there's nowhere to go but an inside cabin.

I'd keep the portholes ... you'll have a view at least.

Enjoy your cruise!

:)

I am trying figure out what Promo #20 means. It says "buy an Outside for the price of a lower Outside". I take that to mean if I book Cat. G I will get Cat. E for the price of a Cat. G cabin.

Hi Jeffrey

I stayed in 'G' and 'H' category cabins on Statendam and Veendam.

Found them roomy, and plenty of light comes in thru the 2 portholes.

But if you downgrade, there's nowhere to go but an inside cabin.

I'd keep the portholes ... you'll have a view at least.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info.

When were you on the Statendam? What kind of shape is she in. I hear there are new beds -- have the cabins been redone? Any opinions on the public rooms?

Hmmmm

I was on Statendam 12 years ago, so really can't say.

However, on the Oosterdam last month, the new beds were in place. It's like sleeping on a cloud!

I think you'll like the ship. Nice size, and a smooth ride.

Have a great time!

I am trying figure out what Promo #20 means. It says "buy an Outside for the price of a lower Outside". I take that to mean if I book Cat. G I will get Cat. E for the price of a Cat. G cabin.

Yes, without looking at the categories, I would say that's exactly what that means. We've taken two cruises with HAL, and both times we booked when they offered a 7-category upgrade deal: "buy an outside for the price of an inside." Both times we bought an H guarantee (porthole room) for the price of an MM.

JeffreyLA, I can't answer your H porthole question because we both times we ended up with an upgrade: once to a D (group of six traveling together) and once to an E (group of eight). Both times our cruise was booked solid and I've read on these boards that your chances of an upgrade are greater when the ship is full. We also booked directly with HAL both times. Some people on these boards have surmised that can help your chances of getting an upgrade, but who knows how the upgrade fairy really operates...

Good luck and great cruising to all!

Thanks for all the replies. We actually found a deal for a B category (Guarantee) Verandah stateroom and opted for that. The price as too good to pass up and only $100 each more than the H category.

So who knows if we will get any upgrade and what it will be but I think one can be more than happy in a B Verandah!

Cheers!!

Jeffrey-We were in a B Verandah-#135 and it was great. Roomy, for a ship cabin, with plenty of storage space-more than we needed. We have been in an S, K, and D before and I think the B is the best value.

Gary

Archived