Booking Cruise by Phone or Internet?

perkydebrajean

Find the best deal, NCL or TA and book. Don't forget to look for OBC from TAs as NCL will not match this. I would book online if you don't need anything special that the system doesn't do. My last two cruise I used a future cruise credit so I had to call to use the credit. Enjoy your cruise.

Going on my first cruise next June and was wondering if you book your cruise through NCL, would it be best to call them and talk to them or do it entirely on the internet, or just go through a local travel agent?

If your going to go through NCL I would phone them, then they can look up any pertinent promotion codes.....some can be combined and you really can't do that on the internet.

A local TA is could be a help as well, since many will assist you with cabin location and help you find the cruise that is right for you.....checking different dates and ships and may find a time that is a bit cheaper.

Since it's a first cruise it's probably not best to use an internet TA, since your probably going to have a bunch of questions and they typically are hard to get in touch with for that.

I use an NCL Personal Cruise Consultant.....they can (usually) get you the best deal and it's so nice to talk to the same person every time!

In my experience, I have found my PCC to be helpful with discounts and promotions.....and adjust your balance in the event of a price drop.....(or if just have a question) :D

I would call NCL and get assigned to a Cruise Consultant for your first booking.

It's nice to have someone inside who will work for you on future cruises and help with the rookie questions.

I personally am not impressed at all with our PCC. She did not tell me about the American Express promotion, despite promising us she'd check "all promotions to make sure she got us the best rate possible" (and no, we did not get any other offer either). We gave her two different credit cards for two different reservations (one an AmEx - see previous comment) and she ended up running both of them on the same card. She never called to remind us of final payment. I see no value in the work she did - I would have been better off booking online myself. We booked a suite and a balcony - I think she just wanted to get the commission and run.

I had a great PCC until he was placed in another job as a trainer. I sent a couple of emails that were never returned until I finally got a call from another PCC that I had been transferred to. I didn't really care for him and when I wanted to upgrade to a PH I called the number listed on their website and was assigned to yet another PCC who took care of the cabin change. I would still call NCL directly to book another cruise because I like being able to contact them directly if I want to change cabins etc.

Going on my first cruise next June and was wondering if you book your cruise through NCL, would it be best to call them and talk to them or do it entirely on the internet, or just go through a local travel agent?

Just to show you big brother is watching, I was toying with the idea of booking a cruise and had created an account with NCL in order to get e-mails from them. One night I logged on, looked around, logged off. 30 minutes later a PCC called. I told him I found this creepy. He did say this "feature" could be turned off on my account.

Anyway, I did end up booking and he tried different scenarios to get me the best discount. He also steered me to a lower priced cabin that was right next to the higher priced "midship" balconies in order to save even more. His knowledge of the layout of the ship and available options was a big help...

First time cruiser? Hopefully a TA can work with you to match you with the most suitable cruiseline and itinerary so that you will not be disappointed or suprised. They can look at every aspect rof your vacation rather than just selling one line or just taking your money and leaving you to sort out everything. Have fun booking your first cruise and see you at the cruise addiction anonymous meetings :)

A cruise is a significant investment both in time and money. As such taking advise from a competent professional will make the best use of your resources and he/she will be there in the background to support you during your vacation.

If your going to go through NCL I would phone them, then they can look up any pertinent promotion codes.....some can be combined and you really can't do that on the internet.

A local TA is could be a help as well, since many will assist you with cabin location and help you find the cruise that is right for you.....checking different dates and ships and may find a time that is a bit cheaper.

Since it's a first cruise it's probably not best to use an internet TA, since your probably going to have a bunch of questions and they typically are hard to get in touch with for that.

Agreed

What ever cruiseline and itinerary you decide on, spend time researching back pages of the cruiseline board and the ports of call boards. You will gain invaluable information about the ship, ship activities, location of your cabin, and ports you have chosen. Don't be afraid to ask questions on the boards. Also, be sure to join the roll call for your cruise.

Like Billet said, total immersion in the boards will both nurture your future addiction:D and make your cruise smooth and enjoyable with hopefully no unhappy surprises.

Thanks all!

I actually talked to a representitive from NCL last night and have officially booked my first cruise! I've been trolling the message boards for a couple of weeks now reading as much as I could in regards to the cruise lines, ships and ports. And by the time I talked to Lyla with NCL last night, I already knew where we wanted to go and an idea of the room I was interested in.

She was extremely helpful and as sweet as she can be. She let me know about the promotions currently going on which included half price deposits, and we also get a $300 OBC, and she is also checking to see if the AARP discount can be combined with the OBC offer. The AARP discount is only $144 so if it can't be combined then I'm definitely taking the $300. She told me that she will be sending me emails and if I ever see a special going on to be sure and call her if she doesn't call me first to see if it can be combined or if it would be better than what we currently have.

She seemed to be totally honest and not trying to take my money and run. She even told me that most of the time it's cheaper to book your plane flights and hotels on your own instead of combining it through them. So that made me feel good to know that she wasn't trying to sell me a combination package.

She told me that she's going to have a cake waiting for us in our room because I had mentioned that this is a graduation present for my daughter and we also leave for our cruise on my birthday.

I was happy with the service I recieved from her.

Thanks all!

I actually talked to a representitive from NCL last night and have officially booked my first cruise! I've been trolling the message boards for a couple of weeks now reading as much as I could in regards to the cruise lines, ships and ports. And by the time I talked to Lyla with NCL last night, I already knew where we wanted to go and an idea of the room I was interested in.

She was extremely helpful and as sweet as she can be. She let me know about the promotions currently going on which included half price deposits, and we also get a $300 OBC, and she is also checking to see if the AARP discount can be combined with the OBC offer. The AARP discount is only $144 so if it can't be combined then I'm definitely taking the $300. She told me that she will be sending me emails and if I ever see a special going on to be sure and call her if she doesn't call me first to see if it can be combined or if it would be better than what we currently have.

She seemed to be totally honest and not trying to take my money and run. She even told me that most of the time it's cheaper to book your plane flights and hotels on your own instead of combining it through them. So that made me feel good to know that she wasn't trying to sell me a combination package.

She told me that she's going to have a cake waiting for us in our room because I had mentioned that this is a graduation present for my daughter and we also leave for our cruise on my birthday.

I was happy with the service I recieved from her.

I'm happy you booked, and feel comfortable with the person you booked with....that's important for your first few cruises. Welcome to the cruising addiction :)

Definitely keep an eye on pricing, at least once a week I go to the NCL website and go through a fake booking of the cruises I have booked to see what the prices are....and call in when ever I see a better promotion than I have or the prices have lowered. Occasionally I have found higher categories have decreased in price and I've moved up. The NCL PCCs don't mind checking prices if you just call and ask...:)

Archived