Vancouver airport-long lines, long waits

the2ofus

Had we known better.... we would not have chosen that itinerary. She can pay now to change her ticket and reserve the later flight, or give it a try and and if she doesn't make it "pay" the fees to reroute her if that will be her fate. She might as well give it a shot at this point. ???

We have found that the time getting through YVR can vary greatly from one trip to another. So we can't go by how long it took someone else, or even by how long it took us ourselves the last trip at the same time of day with the same number of ships in port.

Had we known better.... we would not have chosen that itinerary. She can pay now to change her ticket and reserve the later flight, or give it a try and and if she doesn't make it "pay" the fees to reroute her if that will be her fate. She might as well give it a shot at this point. ???

The logic is sound.... go for it and I wish her the very best.:)

Thanks Putter and all if you here that are routing for her!

The rest of my group will be doing an overnight in Vancouver, followed by an overnight in Seattle, with a.m. Flights out on Tuesday.

Poor thing, she is rushing back because she max'ed all her 2011 vacation time.

Let's hope she makes it......:)

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone here know if Princess has transfers from Vancouver to Seattle airport. If so, appx what time would Princess get you to Seatac. Thinking of flying home from there:)

As I recall they do but they are expensive. You may care to look into the Quick Shuttle transfer. They operate some express shuttles from Canada Place to SEATAC during the cruise season and arrive at about 1:30 pm.

http://www.quickcoach.com/

Our flight is at 12:15pm on Mon Sept 19. I thought 2 hrs early would be fine, now I am wondering if that will be early enough.

Your flight time should be just fine, it would appear that there is only the Sapphire Princess in port (I will be on her). However, I would try to get an early time for disembarkation and once thru customs get a cab right a way or walk the 2.5 blocks over to Waterfront Station and catch the Canada line out to YVR. 2 to 2.5 hrs should be lots of time.

Your flight time should be just fine, it would appear that there is only the Sapphire Princess in port (I will be on her). However, I would try to get an early time for disembarkation and once thru customs get a cab right a way or walk the 2.5 blocks over to Waterfront Station and catch the Canada line out to YVR. 2 to 2.5 hrs should be lots of time.

We will have gotten off the Zaandam on Sun and stay Sunday nite at the Delta Suites. We were going to take the sky train (I think that is what it is called looks like there is a stop about 2blks from the hotel), to get to the airport which I think takes about 25 min? So would allowing 1 hour to get to the airport be enough? Or take a taxi which would be easier, and go for a last walk early in the morning before heading to the airport?

We will have gotten off the Zaandam on Sun and stay Sunday nite at the Delta Suites. We were going to take the sky train (I think that is what it is called looks like there is a stop about 2blks from the hotel), to get to the airport which I think takes about 25 min? So would allowing 1 hour to get to the airport be enough? Or take a taxi which would be easier, and go for a last walk early in the morning before heading to the airport?

A full hour would be tons of time. Taxi is always easier but there is a difference in cost .... 2 people on on the Canada Line will be $7.50 vs about $35 with a cab.

I just got of the Diamond Princess this morning. Was in the 1st group of self disembarkation and carried off my luggage. Group was called at 6:30 and by 6:50 I had walked over to the Canada Line waterfront station. Waited about 10 minutes for a train and left at 7am, arrived at the airport at 725am

After checkin, security and customs I was waiting at the gate by 805am.

Even at this early hour it took 15-20 minutes thru customs and I'm sure it was much longer later. I'd recommend getting off early and beating the rush, then relax in the airport for your flight

An hour will be more than enough. It's about 2 blocks to Waterfront station (on W.Cordova), and then maybe another block underground to the platform. At the YVR end it's literally across the street. Allow for a 10 min walk to Waterfront/buy tickets ($3.75/ea for 2zone) 5 mins for a train to arrive, and 25 to get to YVR, and you're at 40 mins. Not sure what time you're headed to the airport, but monday morning rush hour will make the taxi take at least 40 minutes, and probably rack the fare up to a little over $40

An hour will be more than enough. It's about 2 blocks to Waterfront station (on W.Cordova), and then maybe another block underground to the platform. At the YVR end it's literally across the street. Allow for a 10 min walk to Waterfront/buy tickets ($3.75/ea for 2zone) 5 mins for a train to arrive, and 25 to get to YVR, and you're at 40 mins. Not sure what time you're headed to the airport, but monday morning rush hour will make the taxi take at least 40 minutes, and probably rack the fare up to a little over $40

Just a reminder to make sure you get on the Canada Line that says it goes to YVR and not to Bridgeport. You will notice on the overhead announcement board that every other train is going to YVR.

Viv

Just a reminder to make sure you get on the Canada Line that says it goes to YVR and not to Bridgeport. You will notice on the overhead announcement board that every other train is going to YVR.

Viv

Good point. The line heading to the airport splits just before the airport, only every other train (approx) heads to the airport, but are clearly marked (and announced) "YVR Airport". The one you don't want is "Richmond - Bridghouse"

Good point. The line heading to the airport splits just before the airport, only every other train (approx) heads to the airport, but are clearly marked (and announced) "YVR Airport". The one you don't want is "Richmond - Bridghouse"

Thank you for your gentle correction. Brighouse, not Bridgeport. Brighouse used to be one of the two racetracks in Richmond. My family had racehorses, and we have some old winners' circle pictures taken there in the 1930s.

Viv

After our RC cruise, we will be back in Vancouver on a Friday (4/2012) at 7 a.m. Our flight leaves at 11.30 a.m. Will we be running short of time?

I am not sure of your date, April is quite early for a cruise ship in Vancouver but if that is the case, if you get off the ship with one of the first groups (better yet self-disembark) and get a cab or walk the 2.5 blocks over to Waterfront Station and catch the Canada Line to YVR you should be OK with that flight time.

Thank you for your gentle correction. Brighouse, not Bridgeport. Brighouse used to be one of the two racetracks in Richmond. My family had racehorses, and we have some old winners' circle pictures taken there in the 1930s.

Viv

That's what happens when you're so used to typing Bridgeport... Yes, it's BRIGHOUSE, and that's the trains people don't want.

After our RC cruise, we will be back in Vancouver on a Friday (4/2012) at 7 a.m. Our flight leaves at 11.30 a.m. Will we be running short of time?

You should be fine. The biggest question is how many ships in port that day, and that information probably isn't readily available. Fast way, especially weekday mornings, is to use Skytrain back to the airport. 3 block walk from Canada Place to Waterfront, and 24 min on the train. $3.75/ea

what a tip, thanks. I will arrive in May not April. Do you know the website in which I find out the # of ships that day and in which pier my ship will be? I forgot the name of the site

Likely in the February/March time frame the Metro Port of Vancouver have finalized the cruise ship schedule and it will be published on this site but it is not available until that time.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

We will be booking airfare from Vancouver to Boston this coming week. We will be getting off the Coral on a Monday and heading straight to the airport. What would be the earliest flight you would book? As others have mentioned, all the flights to the East Coast are on the early side.

I am hoping that since it is a Monday it will not be as crowded, but don't know that for sure. Also, there will be 9 of us - 4 are kids (between 8-13), so that may slow us a little, but hopefully not too much.

Would you suggest that we hire a car since we have a larger group? Would that speed anything up?

Thanks.

Archived