Older Teens/Young Adults

LoveSt.Thomas

Hey everyone, I've posted this in the Celebrity board but I don't think I got any answers so I thought I might get more responses on this board.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has been on a Celebrity cruise for New Years with anyone between 18-20 yo? If so was there a lot of others that age? Did your child have a hard time making friends?

We booked a New Years cruise and we're taking our 19 yo daughter. She's cruised numerous times before and on our previous 11 day Millennium she lucked out and made a lot of friends and had a great time.

Or has anyone cruised with someone in this age group recently?

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions!

I don't really have an answer to your question because my kids are 14 and 10, but you might try your question over again on the Celebrity board with the same title you used here. I think the title you used on the Celebrity board probably led people to think you were just looking for your Roll Call. Good luck getting some feedback.

There will be some in that age group, but unfortunately, I've thought for a long time that it's an age group that's pretty much ignored by cruise lines as far as activities are concerned. Too old for the club things and too young for alcohol. Holiday cruises are always crowded, so you can rest assured there will be some in her age group.

We went this past January so she was 18, and it was also around New Years, but since it was a longer cruise we thought it'd be an older crowd, and it was, but there were lots of teenagers on board. There was a group of 15-20 of them that all stuck together I believe. I mean they ranged from about 14/15 to about 20 something. She doesn't mind hanging out with the 16-18 yo or the 21+ crowd so I'm sure she'll find more on a S. Caribbean sailing out of San Juan, esp. on New Years. Thanks for the replies!

i've gone on a number of cruises between the ages of 18-20 and have to say that it is a bit of an awkward age to be on a cruise ship....but that doesn't mean your daughter won't have fun. On almost all of them, they have an 18-20 meet and greet which I attended with my brother who is only 15 months older than me. I also make facebook groups/events before the actual cruise in order to try and meet others around my age. Having been successful in the past with that, I suggest she considers that as well.

Also, I go with my bro to the night club pretty much every night, so that's where a large number of people around my age (now 23) go to. If your daughter likes to frequent the night club, I'm sure she will meet plenty of people, especially on a new years cruise.

i've gone on a number of cruises between the ages of 18-20 and have to say that it is a bit of an awkward age to be on a cruise ship....but that doesn't mean your daughter won't have fun. On almost all of them, they have an 18-20 meet and greet which I attended with my brother who is only 15 months older than me. I also make facebook groups/events before the actual cruise in order to try and meet others around my age. Having been successful in the past with that, I suggest she considers that as well.

Also, I go with my bro to the night club pretty much every night, so that's where a large number of people around my age (now 23) go to. If your daughter likes to frequent the night club, I'm sure she will meet plenty of people, especially on a new years cruise.

She's been on 2 cruises since she turned 18, and she had a great time on them. One on Royal and she was on the Serenade, and went to the night club nightly and it was great, and tons of fun. Then on our longer cruise this past Jan., which was an 11 night cruise, she met friends just by hanging out around the pool and since there weren't many of them they weren't hard to find.

I'll definitely pass on the information about Facebook. Does the Summit and or Equinox have a night club? We're considering changing itineraries again, to a Jan 2nd cruise, so not exactly New Year's but close enough.

Thanks again.

There will be some in that age group, but unfortunately, I've thought for a long time that it's an age group that's pretty much ignored by cruise lines as far as activities are concerned. Too old for the club things and too young for alcohol. Holiday cruises are always crowded, so you can rest assured there will be some in her age group.

Even though they're too young for alcohol on most cruise lines, they can still do every activity and go to every venue onboard. There are many people who do not drink alcohol, yet they are able to have fantastic cruises. I guess alcohol does make-or-break a cruise for many young adults. I find that sad.

beachchick

• 1 month later...

We're always surprised how different each cruise is. My daughters have always made friends, and had fun, but it's never quite the same as the previous cruises.

I think your daughter will be fine over New Years - everyone else will be looking to make connections as well.

I can offer my personal experiences, if that's any help?

I first cruised on celebrity when I was 14. There were a handful of other kids my age but, unfortunately, we were cruising not long after 9/11 and, so, there had been a lot of cancellations. Still, there were kids about and I got along well with them. The kids club was a wee bit lame but once we made friends, we kind of did our own thing.

I cruised again with celebrity when I was 18. This time around, I spent most of my time with my partner and my family, as I was soon to be moving away from home (overseas!! :o) and so I wanted to make the most of it. My brother, however, was 16 at the time and we just about never saw him. He was constantly off with friends his own age, enjoying the amenities of the boat and doing his own thing.

Provided your kids are well behaved and have respect for the other people onboard, they'll get on just fine. Just be prepared to never see them outside of dinner and ports!

Archived