Business air cost LAX to SYD March 29

TurboArrow

Has anyone out there made their own air arrangements in business class for the South Pacific sailing on Regatta March 29? We are checking fares and they are a bit steep but much better than O's $6700 add on. Any tips for a "best deal" website? Also, if you DID make your own arrangements, how much air credit did O give you back? Thanks for any advice.

Has anyone out there made their own air arrangements in business class for the South Pacific sailing on Regatta March 29? We are checking fares and they are a bit steep but much better than O's $6700 add on. Any tips for a "best deal" website? Also, if you DID make your own arrangements, how much air credit did O give you back? Thanks for any advice.

We are the cruise before yours, Auckland to Sydney. Oceania gave us $1000 each air credit. We used FF miles to fly business class round trip and that was 125K miles each. Hope that helps and I hope you find a good fare.

Virgin Australia is showing 5800 for a non stop flight. China southern is 2750 with a 2hr layover in Guangzhou. Air Pacific is 3400 with a layover in Nandi.

We receiverd a 1750 credit (for 2) for our trip to barcelona. The crdit for OZ should be better.

When we flew from LAX to Auckland (back from Sydney) in January 2008 we used premium economy on Air New Zealand which was quite comfortable. We had the same amenities as business (i.e., food, drink, etc.) but not the flat bed seats. However, I rather preferred our very plush tilt back seats. And there was scads of room between rows so it was no problem for the occupant of the window seat to get out without disturbing the aisle seat occupant.

For such a long flight I also wouldn't consider flying coach. But premium economy was very comfortable.

Mura

Air New Zealand has one of the better premium economy sections.

The one area where Oceania lags very far behind other cruise lines is in business class upgrades. Oceania and Regent are copying so much from each other (i.e. the scam called a free hotel room before your cruise) I wish O would copy Regent's very generous business class upgrade cost.

As a *alliance redemption Air NZ is a great deal for J class. We flew AC from YYZ to LAX and then Air NZ from LAX to Auckland - very nice indeed!

Air NZ service, in my experience, is only second to Emirates.

The one area where Oceania lags very far behind other cruise lines is in business class upgrades. Oceania and Regent are copying so much from each other (i.e. the scam called a free hotel room before your cruise) I wish O would copy Regent's very generous business class upgrade cost.

Virgin Australia is showing 5800 for a non stop flight. China southern is 2750 with a 2hr layover in Guangzhou. Air Pacific is 3400 with a layover in Nandi.

Earl Rosebery, Wow - those are good prices for business class. We don't tend to see them here in Oz. Virgin Australia currently offers a "promotional business class fare" SYD - LAX at $AUD 8,713 ($US9,020) tax included.

However Qantas does have a business class promotion at the moment here in Australia for $AUD 5,599 ($US 5796) incl taxes per person SYD - LAX, for a couple. Maybe they will offer it in the US? It's only available for a few days here.

We have travelled a lot between the US and Australia in all classes of travel. First Class is nicest :D - but agree with the others that Air NZ premium economy is excellent. Have recently used Virgin Australia's premium economy from Brisbane to LAX nonstop and it also is very good.

I wouldn't call it a scam but an option. Just as you can decline the "free air" and get a credit, you can decline the hotel room + transfer to ship and get a credit - I believe it's $500. Your choice.

When we flew from LAX to Auckland (back from Sydney) in January 2008 we used premium economy on Air New Zealand which was quite comfortable. We had the same amenities as business (i.e., food, drink, etc.) but not the flat bed seats. However, I rather preferred our very plush tilt back seats. And there was scads of room between rows so it was no problem for the occupant of the window seat to get out without disturbing the aisle seat occupant.

For such a long flight I also wouldn't consider flying coach. But premium economy was very comfortable.

Mura

We did an air deviation for our upcoming SYD-AKL cruise. The air credit was $1300 and the flights I wanted [uA non-stop LAX-SYD and Air NZ non-stop AKL-LAX] were pricing out at about $2100 if I bought my own air. I got those same flights from O for the $100 deviation fee. We get Economy Plus on United for free. O offered us Premium Economy on our return on Air NZ for $800 p.p. and we took it.

I agree that it isn't a scam. I also agree that O's business fares are way out of line.

But there are people who will pay it, just as there are people who will pay for the cruiseline's pre- or post-cruise hotel stays, which are equally -- or in my opinion even more so -- out of line.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. When I can book the same hotel for less than half the cost, I know what I do! And if I can book my own business air for less money, I know what I do.

If money is no object and you value "your" time too much to "waste" it looking for a cheaper fare, I suspect I know what "you" will do, too.

Both options are valid.

Maybe it's not a scam for those of us who post on CC and are very tuned in to all the options. For most people who are not, they see "free hotel room" and actually think they are getting it for free, not realizing that their cruise fare has been adjusted upward to cover the cost of the hotel. Oceania buys those hotel rooms in bulk so a room probably costs them $100 or less. They make a lot of money on those hotel rooms which they are supposedly giving away.

A year or so back Hawaiian Air had very good business class price SYD/PHX with good connection in Honolulu. Service and the experience was quite acceptable for us and way beyond what would occur in economy. Since we live in AZ this worked particularly well. This definitely was better than Oceania air options.

Ralph

Archived