buoyancy control vest at Princess Cays

tpwolfe

Did you required to wear a buoyancy control vest at Princess Cays to Snorkel? If you are can you rent them on the island?

Those are not bc's, just inflatable vests. BC's are for diving. Last time I was there they did not require it. If something has changed, I am not aware of it.

Did you required to wear a buoyancy control vest at Princess Cays to Snorkel? If you are can you rent them on the island?

no, they are not required

All right call me confused as I'm getting conflicting information. I just spoke with a Princess representative who specifically said that inflatable vests are REQUIRED for snorkeling on Princess Cays. Apparently the reason this requirement is in place is due to liability issues. In other words, since its their private island they would be held liable should someone drown not wearing a vest. Doesn't matter whether or not you wear one on any island not owned by Princess since on those islands they are not held liable, just on Princess Cays it does, or so she says.

I guess as to who is right or wrong on this I should defer to PCL. So.........

My next question would be the same as tpwolfe: Can these inflatable vests be rented on the island? And if so, can I rent them separately or do I have to rent the entire snorkel, fins, mask ensemble as well? We have our own snorkel gear and would only need the vests.

Anyone know? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, we would so love to be able to snorkel on Princess cays!

No there is no rules on that

Thanks for the reply. But that's still conflicting information, you're saying one thing and Princess is telling me something different. Do you work for Princess by chance? If not, then I tend to believe an actual Princess representative on this one (no offense intended), as they are the ones who have to deal with insurance and legal issues, not the passengers.

Plus that still doesn't answer my question: Can I rent a snorkel vest by itself on the island??? Anyone know?

If they "require" a vest I'm sure they would rent them. But honestly, I don't know. I have snorkled there, with my own gear, and have never seen the personal flotation device police on patrol. Remember that in salt water your body is much more bouyant. But I did see groups of snorklers with the vests on and obviously, they didn't bring them from home. You will be able to get one I'm sure but if you can't...jump on in, what could go wrong?

Oh one more thing. Remember it's not really their private island. It is Eleuthera and last time I checked' date=' the Bahamians play it fast and loose with the rules.[/quote']

Thanks. My DH did speak again today with another Princess representative, and this individual did go check the official policy on this and came back with the same answer: YES, INFLATION DEVICES ARE REQUIRED to be able to snorkel on Princess Cays. I would imagine you are correct there aren't 'snorkel police' going around to insure this policy isn't violated, but you never know there might be a first time. And if there is a first time, and if they would decide to start fining people for violating the rules, rest assured that my DH and I would be the first ones this would happen to! Sigh.....

On the upside I did find out that you can rent the inflatable vests by themselves. Whoo hoo! :D

Here is the link for anyone else interested in this issue:

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=RSD-975&t=C&exType=S

Note: They are $9 rental fee per vest, and are good for the entire day.

Thanks. My DH did speak again today with another Princess representative, and this individual did go check the official policy on this and came back with the same answer: YES, INFLATION DEVICES ARE REQUIRED to be able to snorkel on Princess Cays. I would imagine you are correct there aren't 'snorkel police' going around to insure this policy isn't violated, but you never know there might be a first time. And if there is a first time, and if they would decide to start fining people for violating the rules, rest assured that my DH and I would be the first ones this would happen to! Sigh.....

On the upside I did find out that you can rent the inflatable vests by themselves. Whoo hoo! :D

Here is the link for anyone else interested in this issue:

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=RSD-975&t=C&exType=S

Note: They are $9 rental fee per vest, and are good for the entire day.

I snorkeled there a few months ago and it was never enforced. They were enforcing people from going out too far in the water. Also, if they enforced these vests, they should not charge for them.

I snorkeled there a few months ago and it was never enforced. They were enforcing people from going out too far in the water. Also, if they enforced these vests, they should not charge for them.

No surprise there that some of the policy rules aren't being strictly enforced. But it still is official policy according to 2 different Princess representatives we have spoken with over the phone. And like I said earlier if we decided to just go with the flow ignoring their rules, we would be the first ones they would suddenly decide to start enforcing it with! We just have that kind of luck it seems like. So better to be safe than sorry I always say.

I definitely agree that a required policy should be provided free of charge - but it is what it is. DH and I have said many times that it seems like the cruise lines nickel and dime you to death once you get onboard, so I guess inflatable vest rentals is just more extra cash for them.

I'm just hoping they don't at some point decide to start charging some sort of fee for even bringing your own equipment, or suddenly deciding that all personal equipment must pass some sort of snorkel police inspection - Sheez. I have to have my own mask - its a prescription mask and I can't see a darn thing without it - snorkel rental is not an option for me! :)

Hi Seamist. I checked out the link that you provided and to me it looks like the vest is required if you sign up for their tour. This makes sense to me. It is a tour guided (probably quite loosely guided) by Princess that you sign up and pay for. What the link doesn't say is that all snorklers must have a vest. I think the vest rule only applies to those folks who insist on paying for this "excursion." If you have your own mask, fins and snorkle then why not find yourself a spot with your husband and do your own thing minus the restrictive, nerdy looking vest. There will be lots of people in close proximity. Now, if you are not confident in the water then that is a different story; get the vest.

On the vest, so I go out to swim with a mask and snorkel and you see many good swimmers do that, they dont wear a vest, nor should it be required. I do however agree, if you are part of a tour,or something like that then for liability issues then you would be required to wear on.

I go there to swim, snorkel etc but not wearing a vest

Pete

Hi Seamist. What the link doesn't say is that all snorklers must have a vest. I think the vest rule only applies to those folks who insist on paying for this "excursion."

The link doesn't say it, but 2 different Princess representatives did. My DH specifically asked the 2nd one if those WITH THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT SNORKELING ON THEIR OWN WITHOUT BOOKING AN EXCURSION would still need a vest, and she said, "That's a good question!" - went and checked the policy and came back and said yes.

I'm sorry, but I just can't make it any clearer than this. Some of you may not want to accept it but facts are facts. You will need a snorkel vest to snorkel on Princess Cays whether you do it on your own, book an excursion, or have your mask/fins/snorkel.

Will they always enforce it???? Probably not. If they do suddenly decide to start enforcing it, what will happen? A slap on the wrist? Fines? Who knows! But why take the risk? Just quit arguing about it, rent the darn thing, buy one to go with the rest of your equipment, or don't snorkel!

Personally we are looking into buying some to go along with the rest of our snorkel gear. This way we just never have to worry about it ever again. Problem solved.

Seamist I understand your positon but still question the validity of the vest issue. I swim in a pool from time to time with a mask and snorkel, instead of my normal swimming (a mile or so and change it up) . and I do the same when going to the beach in NE. Now I get to Princess cays and go out for a swim, which I do on very port, put on my mask and snorkel and swim away, is a vest required, I think not.

But I will add I have seem some terrible terrible swimmers out there and even when they put the vest on, in most cases it just sits there, not inflated. Not sure of the value added, other than for a way to get some additional cash and insurance reasons.

You brought up excellent points, IMHO I can see it if part of a tour but otherwise to quote you "Just quit arguing about it, rent the darn thing, buy one to go with the rest of your equipment, or don't snorkel!" I think in reverse, why rent it and just snorkel , personal preference

Press on

Pete

After Camp Jejeune and FMF training I was in Pensacola at the Navy Hospital for nearly two years. Then in late 1979 I got the USS Suribachi (AE-21) as an independent duty Corpsman until my term of service expired. Did a Med Cruise the winter of 1981. Man, I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

After FMF training at Camp Lejeune I was stationed at Pensacola Naval Hospital until late 1979. After that I got the USS Suribachi (AE-21). Did a Med Cruise the winter of 1981. Man, I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Meanwhile, back to the OP's question: :p

Of course a Princess rep will tell you a vest is required. It's a liability issue.

You can snorkel from shore without a vest. No one will admonish you.

However, as previously alluded to, guided and boat snorkels are a whole 'nuther issue. The boat "captain", the really good ones, might require that you wear a vest.

Archived