Katakolon-Olympia: are there tour guides on the site?

kotman

We're there in October. Are there any local tour guides for hire? And if not then can someone suggest somebody? Or any group excursion (besides ship's)?

(The private tours provide you with the driver- we don't need it- the train I expect will work fine for us, - and to hire driver+guide seems to be to much- it is only 2 of us...)

I'd suggest join the Roll Call for your cruise. Fellow cruisers may share with you

I am there in October too on Noordam...

I think its Bus 10 euro rather than train...

At moment I am not overly concerned to see the Olympia site. Altho Museum looks to have some interesting stuff. May just hang around town.

PS I did web search and there was a Taxi Driver called George offering various tours...

We're there in October. Are there any local tour guides for hire? And if not then can someone suggest somebody? Or any group excursion (besides ship's)?

(The private tours provide you with the driver- we don't need it- the train I expect will work fine for us, - and to hire driver+guide seems to be to much- it is only 2 of us...)

We were in Katakolon last month and we used George Letsios. He has a beautiful Mercedes sedan. We asked him to hire a guide for us and she was fabulous. Her name is Saskia.

George is passionate about his country and really does a nice, informative tour. He took us to a great place for lunch.

You may want to go on your *Roll Call and find another couple to share the cost of the excursion.

We give George and Saskia our highest recommendation. His contact information is below.

GEORGE LETSIOS

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/taxikatakolon

Mobile Phone:+30-6944579917

Websites: www.taxikatakolon.com ,www.taxikatakolon.gr

E-mails: georgetaxitours@gmail.com , george@taxikatakolon.gr

Enjoy your visit to Greece!

* to find your Roll Call on Cruise Critic, you need to go to the tab for your cruise line, your ship, your departure date. If you have any difficulty finding your roll call, post the information here and someone can help you.

Have two or three back-up plans. The train is sporadic, wasn't running when we were there. By the time we got to the train station and found that out, all the taxi's at the pier were long gone, and I hadn't read about the $10 bus.

So we just stayed in Katakolon and shopped/browsed, then went back to the ship for lunch.

We went on the ship's tour to Olympia, but I think the train would work just fine. At the entrance to the ruins, I remember a couple of guys hanging around offering guide services. Not sure how good they would be, but the ruins are fabulous, and actually they are the type of place where you could just wander on your own with a good guide book and probably be fine. Also don't miss the museum by the ruins where a lot of the smaller excavated stuff is. And the town is very nice. We did some fun shopping--bought olives and dried herbs.

We booked a tour with Geo Travel for our upcoming October cruise. This was suggested by another traveler in this forum. The tour costs 10 euro per person and they take to to Olympia in a bus. Here is the information they sent me:

After dissembark you have to come straight in our office 50m away of the exit of the port on the main road to buy your tickets. You will take the bus in frond of the office.

The duration of the tour is 3h. Departure from Katakolon, pass trhough the small village of Agios Ioannis and after 1/2 h of transfer you will be in the town of Olympia.

There you can visit the museum or the Archeological Site or if you wish you can have some free time in the new town of Olympia, where you will find a lot of tourist shops and cafeterias. Then you take the bus to return to Katakolon.

Entry to the sights is not included in the price. Their website is http://www.geo-travel.gr/ and their e-mail info@geo-travel.gr

Can't comment on their quality of service as I haven't found anyone that has used them yet but for the price I would basically be happy to have them take me to Olympia and back.

• 3 weeks later...
We booked a tour with Geo Travel for our upcoming October cruise. This was suggested by another traveler in this forum. The tour costs 10 euro per person and they take to to Olympia in a bus. Here is the information they sent me:

After dissembark you have to come straight in our office 50m away of the exit of the port on the main road to buy your tickets. You will take the bus in frond of the office.

The duration of the tour is 3h. Departure from Katakolon, pass trhough the small village of Agios Ioannis and after 1/2 h of transfer you will be in the town of Olympia.

There you can visit the museum or the Archeological Site or if you wish you can have some free time in the new town of Olympia, where you will find a lot of tourist shops and cafeterias. Then you take the bus to return to Katakolon.

Entry to the sights is not included in the price. Their website is http://www.geo-travel.gr/ and their e-mail info@geo-travel.gr

Can't comment on their quality of service as I haven't found anyone that has used them yet but for the price I would basically be happy to have them take me to Olympia and back.

Thanks, Paula!

I'm considering taking them, but if I can use train it would be even better...They also told me that there are guides at ruins and they charge 10E. On the other hand if we want to hire guide thru them (i.e. geo-travel) it will cost more unless it will be big (20+ people) group.

BTW, are you on Princess Sep 25?

Looking forward to hearing back from anyone who has used Geo Travel. We'll be there in early November and this looks like our best bet. There's another bus service, katakolon-express.com, which is mentioned in Rick Steves' book, but that costs twice as much.

We will be there in November, also. Do we need to reserve a spot on the bus, or can we purchase a ticket the day we are in Katakolon?

You do not need to prepay for the ticket....I guess it will be possible to purchase it on the spot- depending on number of people that reserved in advance and the size of the bus...

We did reserved and if we decide not to use, so we won't. However, at this point it seems very reasonable- 10E p/p, r/t (the train would be half price, but it seems unpredictability regarding return time), leaving at 9:15-9:30am, MAYBE will provide some info while traveling there...In short, there is nothing to loose by making reservation.

Not sure you need a guide for the ruins in Olympia. The town itself is very pedestrian and compact. The guide map for the Ancient Ruins is quite good.

In my view it is much more interesting when someone is explaining and providing historical context of what you see. This way it is easier to remember....Of course, a lot depends on the guide...

We used a Rick Steves guide and thought it provided the perfect amount of information. I really don't think that the guide they provide you at the site gives enough information to keep most people's interest (especially after visiting sites like Pompeii). Just my .02.

By the way, we used George (George's Taxi Tours) and thought he was worth every penny (er, euro!). He is not a licensed guide so could not come into the site with us, but did give us the Rick Steves guide to use.

We used a Rick Steves guide and thought it provided the perfect amount of information. I really don't think that the guide they provide you at the site gives enough information to keep most people's interest (especially after visiting sites like Pompeii). Just my .02.

By the way, we used George (George's Taxi Tours) and thought he was worth every penny (er, euro!). He is not a licensed guide so could not come into the site with us, but did give us the Rick Steves guide to use.

Glad to hear that, we are using George in November

Thanks, Paula!

I'm considering taking them, but if I can use train it would be even better...They also told me that there are guides at ruins and they charge 10E. On the other hand if we want to hire guide thru them (i.e. geo-travel) it will cost more unless it will be big (20+ people) group.

BTW, are you on Princess Sep 25?

Hi sorry for the delay..no, we're on Norwegian Jade sailing Oct 1st.:)

I'll come back and write about the Geo Travel experience when I get back so any of those interested in this service will get some feedback.

Regarding the guided tours, since Geo Travel doesn't seem to include them, I'll take some info with me on my Ipad (Rick Steves sounds like a good option)

I agree that you don't really need a guide at the ruins of Olympia. When you buy a ticket, they give you a map and guide. The place really is a pile of rocks. Not like Ephesus where a lot of buildings are restored.

Hi there,

When you buy a ticket, they DONT give you a map.Just your ticket.

Archived