Explorer: Parking and Luggage Question

Fred C

I'm planning on driving to Cape Liberty and want to know if I drop off the luggage BEFORE I

park the car or do I park first. Is there a shuttle that takes me back to the ship or is it within walking distance? Also when the ship returns is there a shuttle back to the parking lot? Thank You.

I'm planning on driving to Cape Liberty and want to know if I drop off the luggage BEFORE I

park the car or do I park first. Is there a shuttle that takes me back to the ship or is it within walking distance? Also when the ship returns is there a shuttle back to the parking lot? Thank You.

You can walk right over from the parking lot. Drop your luggage and family first.

(I will see if I can find my pictures of the area and post them)

Guest maddycat

You drop off your luggage and then park your car. You can either take the shuttle back to the check-in area or walk. It's very close. When the ship returns you walk back to your car.

For further information about Cape Liberty Cruise Port read the east coast departures board:

East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved! - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Yes - let's be clear. The bus shuttle from the terminal to the ship is required - everyone must take it. They can't have folks wandering across the "tarmac" to the ship - too dangerous because of the trucks coming in to deliver supplies. The parking lot bus shuttle is optional. Actually, I've never seen it. I've always been able to park too close to the terminal to ever need it.

I've never been there, but I've read many reports on here to be careful where you park, as there is apparently a maintenance facility nearby (drydock maybe?), and people have been know to get paint spray on their cars from that. I'm sure some others experienced in that area have more info.

yes there is a drydock...and you never know when they will be doing any painting of ships.....BUT the drydock company will pay for repairs...

basically it depends on the wind....

i have seen the shuttle for the parking area, but never used it....)haven't ever parked there for a cruise..)

Just back on Aug 13 from nine nights, my car was fine. No overspray issues at all. The easiest thing to do when you return, if your willing to spend a few dollars on tips: When you get back to the terminal collect your luggage find a porter and they will bring everything right to your car. They'll load the luggage for you and you are on your way home. Simple and very easy.

Yes - let's be clear. The bus shuttle from the terminal to the ship is required - everyone must take it. They can't have folks wandering across the "tarmac" to the ship - too dangerous because of the trucks coming in to deliver supplies. The parking lot bus shuttle is optional. Actually, I've never seen it. I've always been able to park too close to the terminal to ever need it.

Is there a special bus for anyone in an electric scooter. Do they use handicap buses?

Thanks

The bus shuttles from the terminal to the pier are handicapped accessible. The buses have a ramp that unfolds so that wheelchairs and scooters can get on.

I don't know about the parking lot shuttle. You should probably get the porters to unload the scooter at the drop off zone. The handicapped parking is right next to the end of the terminal area, so when you disembark it would be possible to go directly to your car if you have a way to load the scooter.

We've always unloaded DW's scooter at the drop-off point and she went on her merry way. I have always had the help to the porters with little or no prompting. I then park the car in the H/C parking area next to the terminal and walked next door to meet her and get on the ship. All the shuttle buses are equipped with ramps and the drivers and port personnel are very able and willing to assist or just guide you as the case may dictate. A note: You are required to take the very short ride to the ship as it is a very busy port area with significant vehicle traffic at times.

Have a great and safe cruise.

Archived