Best local food, restaurant

revrick3

Going to Roatan in Oct. looking for good seafood at a reasonable price. I tend to enjoy the local sites where there is just great food. I dont need the glitse of tourism. What are some of your recomendations. Love lobster and all seafood. thanks in advance.

There are a lot of places with seafood, this however is not typical local fare for most. Most of the places are geared toward tourists, local meals are rice, beans,plantains, chicken, beef, and if fish it is usually whole someting or other or barracuda. If you want real local food at a great price you may want to try Haydees which is west of Coxen Hole

I don't find Roatan to be like so many other places on the planet.. in Vietnam you eat Vietnamese food, in Italy you eat Italian and so on.

Roatan was a mish mash of people (Hondurans from the mainland, Garifuna and descendants from the British Caymans) way before the tourists showed up so the idea of an individual local food is difficult hard to local.

While the locals of the mainland eat rice, beans and plantains I see more locals on the island eat pizza, fried chicken and pasta.

With all that said... there is a new Gio's in Flowers Bay, it is a far less tourist area than many. They claim to be the King Crab House. :) Google will get you reviews in you choose.

As an alternative Baleadas are inexpensive and can be filled with about anything. They are also very yummy. Many a place in Coxen Hole offer these.

I see more locals on the island eat pizza, fried chicken and pasta.

This is likely the case in places such as West End and West Bay that have been catering to tourism for a long time and have a much greater expat influence but this is certainly not the norm for the majority of the Island

I don't know between the lunch counter at Warren's in Coxen Hole selling fried chicken and the chicken joint in French Harbor..seems to me.... there is a fair amount of it around. Never mind the pizza joint that has been next to the Sun Station in Coxen Hole for ages and ages. By the by I have never eaten at any of those places. :)

I am just saying the local food type places that one doesn't have to look for in places like South East Asia and others are not so easy to find on the island.

Heck, try to find a pizza joint in Laos... I never looked but I can't imagine there being many around. Thought they do enjoy Hoagies has street food. It's that french influence.

I don't know between the lunch counter at Warren's in Coxen Hole selling fried chicken and the chicken joint in French Harbor..seems to me.... there is a fair amount of it around. Never mind the pizza joint that has been next to the Sun Station in Coxen Hole for ages and ages. By the by I have never eaten at any of those places. :)

No one ever suggested there was not pizza, chicken and such and the few places you listed do certainly sell some but if you now list all the places that serve rice, beans , plantains and bananas I am sure the list will be far greater. :)

Going to Roatan in Oct. looking for good seafood at a reasonable price. I tend to enjoy the local sites where there is just great food. I dont need the glitse of tourism. What are some of your recomendations. Love lobster and all seafood. thanks in advance.

If you're in West Bay, try Celeste's, across the road from Bannarama's entrance. Beleadas, Honduran empandas, filled with various choices of resh seafood or chicken, are the specialty.

This may not be considered a "local" place to eat but our experience there was fantastic and I would go there anytime I was in Roatan. We ate at the Half Moon Bay Restaurant in West End. What a fabulous experience. We had two lobster tails, salad, a baked potato $20.00. Very good. Also had a Pina Colada which was the best I've ever had and I've had many. The food was good - not great - but good. However, the service was fantastic and the view was to die for. We sat out on the patio. The floor was wood planks. Underneath our feet was water splashing up from the ocean. Fabulous! When we looked to the left we saw the fabulous oceanview, when we looked to the right we saw a fabulous bay view with small boats sailing, the shoreline with some shops, etc. I really can't remmeber quite an experience like this on my trips to the Caribbean. Sometimes when life is stressful I think of this experience and remind myself that so many never get anything like this. I hope someday to return to Roatan and I will rush to book a Victor Bodden tour with Tex and have him take us to the Half Moon Bay Restaurant.:):):):):)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still looking for a local place to eat look at this post from a different thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26028670&postcount=483

Here's part of what they said: "...took us to Bertie's, and the owner, Bertie, is one of the best chefs on Roatan. The restaurant has an open-air style with no air conditioning, but it was nice and cool inside. Bertie came out to greet us, and the restaurant staff was very friendly. The garlic grouper was amazing. It was served with rice and beans and plantains. The portions are enormous, by the way"

I really like this thread. I am going to Roatan next month and did not want to do an excursion because I have heard how beautiful it is. I want to go to a place with really good food that I can just had a drink or 10 at and not be stuck in a toursit trap. Two of the places ranked really high on Tripadvisor are Besos and Sundowners. Has anyone tried these?

I don't know what you mean by "not stuck in a tourist trap" being the tourist/dive industry is what keeps Roatan on the map. West End and West Bay are going to have a tourist kinda feel no matter where you are.

What I consider really good food is very hard to find on the island and then I don't want to pay the price. That does not mean there is not some good food about, it just means if good food is your primary interest you may well be disappointed.

With that said have a look at this thread about Sundowners. In addition their web site offers cruise ship specials...tough to get away from the tourists with that kind of advertisement. :)

You could search the TA Roatan forums for mentions of Besos. I have a vague memory of it being mentioned.

Truly, what ever choice you make, the island is beautiful.

I don't know what you mean by "not stuck in a tourist trap" being the tourist/dive industry is what keeps Roatan on the map. West End and West Bay are going to have a tourist kinda feel no matter where you are.

What I consider really good food is very hard to find on the island and then I don't want to pay the price. That does not mean there is not some good food about, it just means if good food is your primary interest you may well be disappointed.

With that said have a look at this thread about Sundowners. In addition their web site offers cruise ship specials...tough to get away from the tourists with that kind of advertisement. :)

You could search the TA Roatan forums for mentions of Besos. I have a vague memory of it being mentioned.

By tourist traps I mean Senor Frogs, Margaritaville type places.

I have no idea what Senor Frogs, Margaritaville is so I think you are safe. :)

Mind you, most of Sundowners clients are expats or tourists, for that matter my guess would be a fair number of the people in and around West End are expats from some place. All those 20-30 something guys attracted by the world class diving.

I was looking for something else and came across the approximate location of Besos... you could give both places a go, they are just of opposite sides of the triangle in West End..very close to each other. Have food at Besos and drinks at Sundowers on Half Moon Bay Beach.

I completely agree with you Sanddiver but dwolfe asked specifically

"Two of the places ranked really high on Tripadvisor are Besos and Sundowners. Has anyone tried these?"

From my perspective local food is a tough thing on the island.. while it is part of Honduras and there are Hondurans from the mainland about....because so many of the people are descendants from the British Caymans... all the food is not going to be beans and rice.

From what I understand the island at one point was completely English speaking. The Hondurans from the mainland starting coming over cause the world class diving was attracting people and money. That means jobs.

If one is a foodie looking for local Honduran food..one may be far better off with a trip over to the mainland. Roatan was a mish mash of different cultures way before the expats should up.

Now, this does not mean Honduran food is not available.

Imagine my surprise when I was offered a Hoagie from street vendors in Laos...(yeah, my history was a bit rusty, part of the reason I travel) because of the French influence, Hoagies as street food... ya can't tell me they are not local food...just other than what Westerners think the Laos should be eating.

This would be my humble .02. :D

I have no idea what Senor Frogs, Margaritaville is so I think you are safe. :)

...<snip>....

Then you are lucky indeed. Set foot in one for 30 seconds and you will forever improve your memories of other places you've visited. ;)

Plenty of people swear by them, which is just fine with me.

Interesting, during the two hours or so we stayed out on the patio of the restaurant at Half Moon Bay Resort we never felt like it had a "touristy" feel. We loved it and felt like we were having an amazing experience.

By tourist traps I mean Senor Frogs, Margaritaville type places.

Well, back in 2009 I didn't see any of these types of places which is one reason we really loved Roatan. Be developed yes, but not like places like Grand Cayman, etc. Gorgeous island without Senor Frogs - yippee:D:D:D

• 1 month later...
How far of a walk on the beach from Tabyana to Sundowner's?

Tabyana is the far end of West Bay Beach.. Sundowners is the OTHER end of West End... as a guess.. 50 minutes.

and as alternative... Water taxi to West End, then it is about a 5 minute walk to the left with your back to the sea.

I'm coming to Tabyana on the carnival excursion. Looking for an outdoor restaurant on the beach with good food, music and drinks.

Can you recommend a place within walking distance of Tabyana? I know there are quite a few places but would like a recommendation on which one for us.

Been to Roatan many times and eaten at various restaurants around the island. Best meal we've ever eaten on Roatan was last year through Rony's Tours. It was Rony's mother's restaurant in Coxen Hole. She cooks in the kitchen of her family home and serves her diners on the front porch of the house.

Freshest and best coconut shrimp I've eaten anywhere. DH had a spiced shrimp dish, both served with spiced rice, beans and plantains. The plates were loaded with shrimp.

I don't normally like plantains but these tasted very good to me.

Our entire bill for both dinners was well under $20.

Dianne

"I'm coming to Tabyana on the carnival excursion. Looking for an outdoor restaurant on the beach with good food, music and drinks.

Can you recommend a place within walking distance of Tabyana? I know there are quite a few places but would like a recommendation on which one for us." end quote

I don't find the food on the island to be anything to write home about but if you seek music and drinks..Bananarama is the choice to make.

Wait, is there not food, music and drinks at Tabyana?

Hmm as a option...drinks and music at Bananarama then walk over to West Bay Lodge and have a world famous Baleada at Celeste's.

Or walk up the beach to Bite on the Beach for food.

Options a plenty.

The whole of West Bay beach is walk-able.

I was just looking for a good place for food, drinks and atmosphere, outside restaurant. Ok, who makes the BEST drinks? I'm sure I could eat, drink and be merry at Tabyana, but if Bananarama or Bite on the Beach is better, I'd rather take a short walk at lunchtime and do that. Since I'm paying I don't HAVE to eat at Tabyana.

All the restaurants are open air to the elements. Think beach bar with food.

How about you take a short walk at lunch time and make a choice that way. Have a seat and a drink at Bananrama..if you are happy stay put if not walk up the beach a bit farther and give it another go... easy peasy. This way, you don't have to take my word for it..

By the by there was a new place being built near Foster's people were starting to talk about when I got back this year... have no idea what the name is.

I think a bit of a beach pub crawl in in order..then come back and let us know what ya leanred.

I have an allergy to booze so I can't help ya at all with best drinks. :)

Archived