Best way of booking a cruise?

Since you revised your question, I can answer...we prefer to book directly with the cruise line and have control of the reservation. We found it very distressing the one time we used one of the sponsoring agencies of these forums and found they didn't return calls, etc. after they got the booking. The disadvantages outweighed the advantages.

Ya I can see that making a lot of sense. It's really hard for me to directly compare prices between lines. I am really wanting to try Royal after sailing Carnival for 14 years but to my research that are incredibly more expensive or am I just seeing things?

Pricing depends on the ship, sailing, time of year, etc. If you are flexible, you can get some great deals on RCI. In some instances, Carnival will always be cheaper, especially if you are comparing their oldest ships to ships to Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships for RCI.

I don't mind using a TA because I've found one that communicates very well and offers onboard credits for bookings. So far I am up over a thousand dollars in OBC from my TA from all of my cruises ... and that is OBC simply from booking with him. True, I have lost some of my "control" over my reservation, but with price drops after final payment no longer accepted, I just haven't had the need to be controlling as I have in the past.

Most folks who cruise Carnival regularly report that similar 7 day itineraries In similar accomodations are priced higher for RCI ships. On this board people often respond that you do have to compare ships of similar ages; newer ships on both lines are often priced highr than older ships.

Good luck with your research!

We have never sailed Carnival so I can't speak from experience, but we have talked to many who have sailed both lines. They seem to agree that any price difference is "worth it".

Silentbob does make some good points about agents these days. Not honoring price drops after final payment does make a difference. This makes it not quite so important to be able to reach your agent--for whatever reason.

I see that you have sailed RCI ships that are older and/or are no longer in the fleet. You should try one of the Freedom class ships or Oasis or Allure and then make your own decision. I'm betting you will decide that you get your money's worth. Regardless, come back and let us know.

I started on carnival and they will always have a special place in my heart, seeing is it was my "first";) however, I don't see myself going back. We even gave HAL a couple of tries and won't do that again either, RCCL is our preferred cruise line however, we did like the solstice class of celebrity and will be back on her.And we may someday try NCL or Princess But we will always return to our RCCL.

Use a TA, ask around and find one that offers a little insentive for booking with them. A great TA will be very receptive to you and your family's needs and will do all the research for the best price and amenities for you. Many good agents will give or get you an OBC if they can. Good luck!

Book on board! They give you shipboard credit. Just book anything way into the future, then you can change everything about the reservation except: the reservation number, 1 guest. Also, booking directly with RCCL will give you the most control of the reservation. If another agent is offering some sort of value add discount, you can always swap from RCCL to an agent.

This was all such great information. I co not think I really need control over the booking per say. I am really for whether direct booking or TA booking will get me the most of everything. I spend so much time searching for what I want, the idea of telling someone what I want and letting them work it and getting back to me just sounds relaxing lol. Not to mention the possibility of OBC.

Such great info, love this board lol.

Archived