Carnival - No babies in Splash Pools!

dlsteve67

Just got an email back from Carnival Cruise Lines. I asked them if Carnival Glory had a Splash Pool (with water jets) to let our 22 month old girl to play in (a kiddie type pool). Their answer was no children in swim diapers allowed in any pools. I've attached their response below...

Are there any cruise lines that have an area for toddlers in swim diapers? I can't see this as correct since there are lots of public pools in the USA that have tot swims.

new_talisma_header.gif

Hello Steve.

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/WaterWorks/spray parks. Note: This includes the Kiddie Pools.

If there is anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Cordially,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Found this posted on the Disney website.

Question Are there swimming pools for kids? Answer There are 2 Guest pools on board for kids. The largest, Goofy's Pool, invites families to play together. Mickey's Pool is reserved just for the little ones. There are no lifeguards permanently stationed at the pools, so kids should only swim with parental supervision. Spas near the pools are available for the use of Guests over the age of 16 only. The U.S. Public Health Service requires that all children be toilet trained before entering shipboard pools and spas. Young children who are not toilet trained are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near Mickey's Pool, designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.

Some ships do have designated areas for those who may have "accidents"....

Pools on the ship can't have the levels of sanitizing chemicals that land-based pools do, so having babies in diapers (or anyone, for that matter)...even "swimmies" can contaminate the water. While swimmies may hold in any solids, the water still flows through the diaper and can make other's ill. That's why only specially filtered areas are allowed to have the diapered set in them!

Yes, we talk about this ALL the time here on the family board. :D We could have saved you an email to Carnival. ;)

The ONLY ships that allow NON-Potty trained kids in diapers are the following - NO EXCEPTIONS - in a SMALL Baby Splash Area/Zone

ALL DISNEY SHIPS

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas.

You can bring an small inflatable pool on Carnival. You are preaching to the choir, this is a daily discussion around here. :) Carnival SHOULD have some splash areas on their new ships. They do NOT.

• 2 weeks later...

Along those lines...how does one fill/empty an inflatable pool that they bring along? We'll be cruising on Carnival in December; taking both (adult) kids and our 16 month old grandson. He loves the water and has already started swim lessons, so I can't imagine he's going to like not being able to go in the pool(s). We bought a small pool for the balcony, but I'm trying to figure out how it's all going to work. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

We used the pool on deck in a nook between the pool and the fountain on Conquest. This worked great because it was in the shade, out of the way, and there was a floor drain there. I positioned the pool so I could just compress the edge with my foot and the water drained right down.

I borrowed a beer bucket from the pool bar to fill the pool from the actual pool. May not be entirely sanitary, but the bucket was probably cleaner when I gave it back. I'd think you could do the same on the balcony.

Draining on a balcony: I guess you scoop the water back out. Can't dump it all since it would wind up on the balconies below. I guess the last little bit could be slowly dumped into the drainage channel. Others here will have more expertise since we haven't gone that route yet.

Along those lines...how does one fill/empty an inflatable pool that they bring along? We'll be cruising on Carnival in December; taking both (adult) kids and our 16 month old grandson. He loves the water and has already started swim lessons, so I can't imagine he's going to like not being able to go in the pool(s). We bought a small pool for the balcony, but I'm trying to figure out how it's all going to work. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

We used an empty beer bucket to ferry water from the hot tub to the baby's pool (on deck) and from the shower to the pool (on the balcony).

Were you on the Miracle last November (southern Caribbean)? If not, there was a couple with adorable red headed twins who looked just like yours! :)

Did they have 2 exhausted looking adults chasing after them all week?

If so, that'd be us! :D

Did they have 2 exhausted looking adults chasing after them all week?

If so, that'd be us! :D

Aww come on...you never looked THAT exhausted! And I remember that every time we saw you, people were fawning over the kids! They were definitely a big hit with both passengers and crew. Good times!

Mikestag - I have to say again, I LOVE those pictures. Those babies are just way too cute and those memories are priceless! :D

Well, thank you again! It looks like you done pretty well yourself. ;)

A bonus pic:

2022040280101336718S425x425Q85.jpg

I've got a bunch of these rotating as the background on my monitors at work. It just makes me smile when some of these pop up.

Aww come on...you never looked THAT exhausted! And I remember that every time we saw you, people were fawning over the kids! They were definitely a big hit with both passengers and crew. Good times!

Yeah, given the constant vigilance require to keep them from winding up in the pool or something, we didn't notice all that much until we looked at the pictures and saw so many people watching them. The crew mentioned that there were triplets on board a few weeks prior, apparently with a triple stroller. :eek:

I guess we weren't too exhausted since we're used to it, but it wasn't quite the relaxing vacation we'd have liked. The flight is what really got us. We had been booked on Splendour and had short direct flights to/from LAX. When we got cancelled and booked Miracle ~11 days out, we got a 4.5 hour connecting flight from DEN on the way out and 5 hours on the way back. And this with 2 toddlers who had just learned to walk. I'm glad we were able to make arrangements at all and they did as well as could be expected, but it was still rough.

I do think we should have sent Carnival a bill though: I believe they checked to make sure that every single Christmas ornament on that ship was properly fastened to something. :rolleyes:

Well, thank you again! It looks like you done pretty well yourself. ;)

I've got a bunch of these rotating as the background on my monitors at work. It just makes me smile when some of these pop up.

Yeah well mine are out of the baby stage and now I am in the "Moms a Chauffeur" stage. I miss the toothless baby grins. Now I have toothless grins but they are followed by wails of "Moommmmm, we are going to be LATE for cheerleading!" {sigh} :o

ENJOY IT!!!! :D:D:D

Question for Mikesteg, did carnival give you a hard time at all about bringing your own kiddie pool and filling it up? It's a great idea! The LO need somewhere to splash too.

When we took our 18 mon old, there was a fountain like thing near the pool and we let him walk around edge. Also, while everyone was in port, we went up to the small splash pool and let our LO in since there was no one else in sight.

• 3 weeks later...

So my family is looking to take our next cruise...I was pregnant on our last cruise on the Carnival Miracle, and now we have a 14 month old.

My sister's baby had a great time in the baby pool while we were on the Miracle, it was a great little area with lots of babies. I had never heard any of these crazy rules about no babies, swim diapers included and it wasn't enforced on the Miracle.

We are looking into a Carnival Freedom cruise, but when I started looking into baby pool info I found all of these posts. Is this really enforced?

Anyone know what the baby pool options are on the Carnival Freedom?

I sooo had my mind set on this, but the no swimming rules could be a deal breaker!

So my family is looking to take our next cruise...I was pregnant on our last cruise on the Carnival Miracle, and now we have a 14 month old.

My sister's baby had a great time in the baby pool while we were on the Miracle, it was a great little area with lots of babies. I had never heard any of these crazy rules about no babies, swim diapers included and it wasn't enforced on the Miracle.

We are looking into a Carnival Freedom cruise, but when I started looking into baby pool info I found all of these posts. Is this really enforced?

Anyone know what the baby pool options are on the Carnival Freedom?

I sooo had my mind set on this, but the no swimming rules could be a deal breaker!

So you now know that "officially" babies aren't suppose to be in Carnival baby pools because they don't have the safety measures in place to protect your child. And you are asking us if its still ok to do it anyway?

No words :rolleyes:

Here's another thread to read...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476915

By any chance do you recall where you purchased this baby pool and/or what model it is?

Sorry, no. I believe we bought it at Walmart and it was just the basic <$10 2-ring pool. That was ~16 months ago and we're on about our 4th pool now, so don't spend too much on it.

Now is the time to buy if you need it soon. You might catch something on clearance (so buy 2 or 3 :D )

Soon... if not already... you won't be able to find one until spring.

Question for Mikesteg, did carnival give you a hard time at all about bringing your own kiddie pool and filling it up? It's a great idea! The LO need somewhere to splash too.

When we took our 18 mon old, there was a fountain like thing near the pool and we let him walk around edge. Also, while everyone was in port, we went up to the small splash pool and let our LO in since there was no one else in sight.

Carnival gave us no problem at all. If fact, I borrowed a beer bucket from the bar to fill it up. ;) That said, we did find a 'nook' which people didn't tend to walk though, and we did this on port days so the pool deck was mostly empty. I don't think Carnival would have a problem anyway, since these are the same folks who fail to enforce the diaper rule to begin with. I'd be more concerned on a sea day that someone would walk right over them, even though we weren't in the flow of traffic.

In fact, as we were using the pool there was a mom who had a whole herd of children using the main pool, at least one of which was in diapers. She asked why we were using our own pool... and then just kept on chatting with DW. :rolleyes:

Archived