Marina Cruise November 2nd

Boatie

My husband and I are first time cruisers on the Marina,and new to the Oceania line.We have been loyal to smaller ships Seabourn, Silver Seas, and Regent lines...So this is something new.

How are the restaurants? What do you reccommend? We are in an OS so we get a few options. Also looking for guides in Israel.

Thanks, Boatie

I'm sure you will get a lot of perspectives, and the food is one of the amenities Oceania rightfully (IMHO) trumpets. Depends on your tastes, but with four specialty staurants, you have a great blend of options.

Our favorite was Red Ginger, Polo Grill is consistently very good as a steakhouse and some love Toscana. Reviews for Jacques has been spotty, but we ate there twice and thoroughly enjoyed the experience each time. Since you are in an OS, you can have dinner from any of the restaurants served course-by-course in your suite. If the weather is good, it is hard to beat a filet or lobster on the veranda...ask your butler, and enjoy the experience.

The Terrace Cafe on Marina, for us, was pretty crowded in the mornings, so you might want to go to the main dining room, or just order something to eat at your leisure in your suite as you are prepping for the day's excursions. If you are aboard at lunch, the Waves Grill on the pool deck is great for an upscale casual meal, too. Once again, for us, the Terrace Cafe seemed crowded during lunch on sea days, so we sought a spot near Waves and had a pleasant time.

We did a dinner in La Reserve, and enjoyed the company and ambiance. The wines were fine, but the food (once again IMO) wasn't much different than that in their other venues. The wine made it worth the price, but if you prefer to order your own vino, or don't drink that much, you won't miss it too much.

In the OS, you will get canapé, and the exec lounge also has snacks. Fortunately, the fitness center is one of the better ones around, so you can gracefully lose the battle of the bulge a little more slowly if you wish.

Regards, Bob H

We're going to be in a VS on the cruise just before yours (leaving the ship Nov 2) and have already booked La Reserve and one night each in Jacques and Red Ginger.

We haven't been on Marina before but on the "R" ships we preferred Polo to Toscana (most of the time we skip them but not always) and the Grand Dining Room to both. The specialty restaurants have pretty much "set" menus so the GDR has more variety. And we gave found the average level in the GDR very high. (Not all agree with us!)

For breakfast we used to always go to the Terrace, but these days we usually go to the GDR. (Again, I'm talking about the "R" ships, not Marina in terms of our experience.) The food is excellent and we don't eat as much! The buffet is just too tempting to keep on filling our plates.

We'll try Polo and Toscana at least once on Marina just to see how they compare to the "R" ships versions. I personally love the huge prime rib in Polo, but it's a LOT of food!

And I'm looking forward to ordering dinner in the cabin from one of the specialty restaurants ...

Have a great time. But how could you not in an OS?

Mura

Thanks so much for the newsy email. We have never been on a ship this size and always knew our way around the Seabourn and Silver Seas. Also the paying for alcohol and tipping policies will be a different experience. But how great not to have cigarette smoke floating by your veranda and the odor in the halls. My big complaint on the Silver Seas and Seabourn was the amount of smokng on board.

We will take your advice.

Thanks ,Boatie

Also the paying for alcohol and tipping policies will be a different experience. But how great not to have cigarette smoke floating by your veranda and the odor in the halls. ,Boatie

A small price to pay for avoiding the smoke IMO

You can take your own wine or alcohol for use in your cabin ...maybe you have a suite then you will have a bar set up included

You will find your way around quickly & fun to explore if you do get lost :D

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

We have contacted www.guidedtoursisrael.com to reserve three tours. Two from Ashdod and one from Haifa. They are looking for more passengers to join the tour to form a small group from our ship. We do have a confirmation number however, we are not confirmed, just on a wait list.

We are booked on the following:

Nov. 7 Masada and Dead Sea

Nov. 8th

Jerusalem and Bethlehem

Nov. 9th North of Israel "Galilee"

I am also researching tours in Kudashi. I will post what I have learned. I am waiting for some answers to my emails.

If you would like to contact me directly my email address is Jonisangel@aol.com

We have contacted www.guidedtoursisrael.com to reserve three tours. Two from Ashdod and one from Haifa. They are looking for more passengers to join the tour to form a small group from our ship. We do have a confirmation number however, we are not confirmed, just on a wait list.

You should post tour shares in the Roll Call for your cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

click on the ship then the sailing date & post there

That is the best way to find your fellow ship mates

Archived