Box Wine - What was the verdict?

crayonri

Hi All,

Has anyone carried on boxed wine? any problems? :confused:we're doing on the Summit Sunday and wanted to bring wine, but not sure if it's better to go bottled or boxed... also, bottled - can you bring the larger size bottle?

This has been discussed numerous times...a search on "wine" will find numerous opinions and feedback.

in general, i doubt you will find someone to give you a commitment on this, as there isn't a written policy on boxed wine or size of bottles.

if you read the previous threads on this, it is dependent on that particular cruise/staff and apparently the mood they are in. you will find people with experience bringing boxes on board without issue and someone else will have had their box of wine impounded (and getting it back post-cruise seems to be a gamble too).

so in the end, it's what risk do you want to take? gamble and bring the box(es) or stick to the known rule and bring 2 standard bottles? until Celebrity publishes an written policy as part of cruise contract, either way.

We often take box wine on our longer cruises (including Celebrity). We have found that the "Black Box" wines are pretty good for a vin ordinaire. Normally we pack the box in our luggage (the boxes and interior bag are very strong) and have never had a problem with any cruise line (we would no longer try this on RCI because of their ridiculous policy).

Hank

We've decided to take 2 bottles... just too much of a chance with the boxed wine.

I have taken boxed wine on the Eclipse twice once in checked luggage and once in carry on and never had a problem.

Carole

We often take box wine on our longer cruises (including Celebrity). We have found that the "Black Box" wines are pretty good for a vin ordinaire. Normally we pack the box in our luggage (the boxes and interior bag are very strong) and have never had a problem with any cruise line (we would no longer try this on RCI because of their ridiculous policy).

Hank

Brought the Black Box on RCI this past March - no problems there either.

Oh pleeeease!!! Lighten up.

Well said.

It's a cruise. It's a holiday.

I normally find that grumble bums that like to tell others how to live and cruise more often than not make a habit of it in most of their comments on these boards.

It's tiresome, boring and rude.

Well said.

I normally find that grumble bums that like to tell others how to live and cruise more often than not make a habit of it in most of their comments on these boards.

Agreed. Get a life, Ned.

Well said.

exactly!!!

Well, whenever a thread like this starts there are 2 verdicts.

1. Yes, it works very nicely (I have done it a few times)

2. People who do it are cheap, low-life wine drinkers!;)

I want to be a cheap, low-life wine drinker.Where doI sign up?

Well said.

I'm sorry, but what is truly tiresome and rude is the number of posts from folks who are looking for ways to get around the stated policies on a wide variety of topics.

I have no desire to tell people what to do or how to live, but I abhor cheats and rule-breakers, and occasionally I need to vent as it becomes more and more prevalent.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Rgds, Ned (a beverage package customer)

I don't understand the need to save such a small amount of money when you are spending 1500 plus per person for your holiday

We'll be taking our box with us for our cruise in Oct. It's not really a money saving issue, as we have the prem. drink pkg, it's more about convenience. DH will usually be ready for dinner before I am, he'll have a glass of wine on the balcony while he's waiting for me, we've also got a few 12-13 hour port days, on those days, we'll probably board the ship around 7:30, head straight to the buffet, then back to our cabin, shower, & have a glass of wine on the balcony.

If we didn't have our box of wine in the room, we could just go to a bar, & take a glass back to the room, on our drink pkg of course, so really, we're saving Celebrity some money here:)

Archived