daytime activities on transatlantic cruises

mysweetness

hi everyone

this is my first post...although I've been cruising for years and reading this forum for years, too.

I'm thinking of taking my first transtlantic cruise, and aside from the ususal fare, I am wondering what my day-time options will be.

It may not be very warm , so inside stuff may be required.

I am looking into the Equinox 14-day for next April.

thanks in advance:)

First, a warm welcome to Cruise Critic. I've been on several TA's and will be doing the Connie in November. Might also be on the April 16th Equinox. Don't worry, there's lots to do. They usually have 2 or 3 guest lecturers. One usually discusses some aspect of the destinations. Another is from the Smithsonian. On the Equinox last year we were fortunate to have Shirley Jones (Oklahoma, Partiridge Family, etc.). She lectured 3 times and ended each with a song. Last cruise features maritime historian, Joh-Maxtone Graham. This year we have an expert in aviation. I've always enjoyed the lectures. They also have a additional number of cooking shows and demonstrations. Of course the usually bingo, arts and crafts and pool (when possible) activities. I also enjoy having time to just relax and read. I've found that I had to make choices since often there were two progams I wanted to see at the same time. Let me warn you, a TA can become addicting. Perhaps we'll meet on the Equinox. I've sailed her a number of times and have enjoyed each sailing.

thank you Orator.

I've never been on the Equinox, and one of the deciding factors for me is the indoor Solarium.

did that work out well in the cooler weather ?

I would love if someone had a daily paper ( planner ) of any transatlantic Celebrity

cruise.

thank you Orator.

I've never been on the Equinox, and one of the deciding factors for me is the indoor Solarium.

did that work out well in the cooler weather ?

I would love if someone had a daily paper ( planner ) of any transatlantic Celebrity

cruise.

The Solarium works very well. I sometimes go there to read. You can have a bite to eat at the Aqua Spa Cafe. Sorry, I don't have the dailies, but someone else might. If you haven't booked yet you might look into Aqua Class. If you are not aware of Aqua Class and Blu just do a thread search and you'll find enough reading to keep you busy for quite some time.

I have copies of the daily bulletin from two TA's, the Constellation in 2008 and the Equinox in 2009. Sorry nothing is more current. The following link goes to a page of links to info that I have available for download and that will get you to those copies of the daily newsletters.

http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/cruiselinks.htm

You will love the Solarium. The pool is heated; and, it is a great exercise venue. Also, if you book AQ you will have access to the Persian Gardens, where the steam room is very efficacious both for the skin and sinuses.

Jack, we did 2 Solstice TA's, and the pool in the Solarium wasn't heated. Has that changed?

I'm sailing with Orator on Connie in November. This will be our second TA. We sailed Connie eastbound in April 2007. We had a wonderful lecture series from a retired US diplomat. He lectured in the main theater and by the end of the crossing it was full for every lecture.

I too found that there were more things to do than I could fit on my dance card. I am also looking forward to a chance to rest, as I work a bazillion hours a week. I'm in the wine business and I will be coming off our harvest season, two months of 12+ hour days. Ditto, be careful, as TAs are addicting.

Liz

If it is a popular TA, there are also many activities planned by people on the roll call -- cabin crawls, pub crawls, slot tournament, wine tasting, Sail-away, exercise groups, card groups, Nook/Kindle groups, and the list can go on.

Check the roll call for the cruise you are looking at and see if there is an active group and website.

I'm sailing with Orator on Connie in November. This will be our second TA. We sailed Connie eastbound in April 2007. We had a wonderful lecture series from a retired US diplomat. He lectured in the main theater and by the end of the crossing it was full for every lecture.

I too found that there were more things to do than I could fit on my dance card. I am also looking forward to a chance to rest, as I work a bazillion hours a week. I'm in the wine business and I will be coming off our harvest season, two months of 12+ hour days. Ditto, be careful, as TAs are addicting.

Liz

I look forward to seeing you. Looks like we'll have quite an active and fun group. I've been on several TAs with many of them. TAs are addicting :)

thanks, sounds great .. sign me up !

As a newbie, how do I actually check the roll call ?

Go to the top of this page and click on "Celebrity Roll Call Forums". You will see a list of ships. Click on yours. You will then see a listing of threads. Click on yours. Hope this helps.

I hope the pools are heated...the Solarium will be my getaway place if the weather is cool but I still want to enjoy the sun .

Can anyone else give my some fun and different onboard activities to look forward to ?

thanks

The pool in the Solstice class solarium is not heated. The "solarium" is an adult only area with two hot tubs and a small pool - the area is covered so it can be used in all weather and the pool probably doesn't get as cold as the outdoor ones. On our TA we had three different lecturers in addition to a series done by the ship's officers explaining ship operations. For our TA there was a series on Cosmology, one on transportation crossing the Atlantic through the centuries and an entertainment journalist who discussed and then screened old (as in 30s-50s) movies. There were also extra afternoon performances by some of the headliners from the evening entertainment. We were so busy with these and roll call activities that we hardly had time to crack a book.

I have to say that I've spent my last 2 west TA's at the outside pool, in a bathing suit in the sun, at about a day out:)

I hope I'm just as lucky with my upcoming TA:)

dmk...love your dancing graphics.

I hope we have as much luck with the weather as you did. I would love to be at the outdoor pool ...but I suspect it'll be cool outside.

did you enjoy the s-class on Celebrity ?

I've never been but I've been doing my homework and it all sounds pretty great.

dmk...love your dancing graphics.

I hope we have as much luck with the weather as you did. I would love to be at the outdoor pool ...but I suspect it'll be cool outside.

did you enjoy the s-class on Celebrity ?

I've never been but I've been doing my homework and it all sounds pretty great.

Hi:)

It is good to plan for cool weather. Especially for sightseeing before you cross the Atlantic.

But I kid you not the weather both times was anywhere from 78 to 80 degrees. We had a few days when the seas had no waves...totally flat! The sailors used to call them the doldrums.

The S class ships are beautiful. It has great spaces. It has clean modern lines.The Martini Bar is lovely and so is the Molecular Bar.The shopping, however leaves a lot to be desired. The shops are expensive and there are no exciting sales.

I also enjoy the M Class ships. At this point, it wouldn't matter to me which class ship I was on.

Hope this helps.

p.s. These were southern crossings.

Archived