Should I try Royal Caribbean?

Xystence

I have been on both lines--more similar than different. Food for me has been better on Carnival, Rooms larger on Carnival, decor I like RCCL better but I don't cruise for the decor, buffet lines a little shorter on RCCl. I found embarkation easier on RCCL so all in all pretty much same and you can find prices comparable. I would try RCCl if you find a ship and itinerary and price that you like If you like Carnival you will most likely like RCCl. I tend to go on Carnival more as I have a few perks there but wouldn't hesitate to sail RCCL.

Our family has been mostly Carnival fans over the years. We did try Royal in 2008 (Adventure of the Seas) for a change. I looked up my review of that cruise and found some of these notes that I made:

Smooth embarkation, uncomfortable sofa, difficult to navigate floors as many dont go through (makes shore excursions a pain), didn't get hustled for photos as much, the food was unimaginitive and rather bland; not bad but less appealling than any other cruse we had been on; entertainment better than most.

In the end was the fact that when we got back we were not jumping on the computer to research our next cruise . . .

I would do Royal again, but not my first choice in these times.

lol you really like food huh..its so subjective

Subjective, yes, but based on experience. We go to good, great, and bad restaurants on land too. Just about 4 years ago, I had Carnival's food ranked above RCCLs as theirs had gone bland. While they put more effort into it, Carnival has gone the other way to save costs and go super mass market (diluting their brand in the process)

Also on the wine packages, you will get better quality wines on the lowest package of RCCL than Carnival ( no screw tops either). The middle level packages are about the same.

By all means, shop around and see what kind of deals you can get elsewhere. You'll never know if you'll like something else (or not) unless you try it. I go with whichever cruiseline has the best deal for the destination I want. My favorites are Princess, Carnival and RCCL and IMO they are more similar than they are different.

I am looking for a Carnival fans point of view mostly here. I have sailed on over 10 Carnival Cruises and occasionally I get the sense of feeling a lot of the same. Although I feel like the difference in money between these two lines is just not worth the difference and I just need to change up things I am doing with Carnival.

I am looking for opinions on those who have tried both lines and have any information to share. I posted a similar post to this on the Royal forums but I got so many posts about how awesome royal is and so on. I am looking for just an honest answer on whether the additional money (Which seems like a lot to me) is worth it.

I also noticed that Carnival's ports seem much more varied, and most of Royal's all go to the same place.

Thanks for anyones opinions!

I frequently cruise both lines. One of the main reasons for such is exactly what you just mentioned - avoiding sameness.

In answer to your question, YES!!! If not RCI, then another line. After being on many cruises of the same line and experiencing the same thing over and over and over, trying another line is like going on that very first cruise all over again. It is very refreshing to do so.

My advice is, ignore all the stuff about this line sucks at this, this line sucks at that. They are all good at what they do and all excel in different areas.

If going on RCI, and I can't ephasize this enough, choose your ship wisely. Unlike CCL, RCI's ship classes are vastly different from one another. You said entertainment isn't a big deal and you like to relax. In that case, I recommend trying a Radiance Class ship, or maybe even a Vision Class ship.

That said, if you don't go to shows because you just don't like the quality, Oasis Class is definitely worth a try and definitely worth the price. They also have a Comedy Club. Voyager and Freedom Classes are also good for another alternative show - the ice shows - a must see.

And as for food - it's all the same quality. However, if you choose to eat in a specialty restaurant, RCI's are top notch compared to other lines.

I have sailed both and have also sailed on NCL, Disney, Celebrity, etc...

I have to agree with others that they are more the same than different. I don't think the ships are "Better", I just think they are decorated differently. Oasis and Allure have some cool features but if you aren't into those things it isn't worth paying the price difference just to see them...

I think if you really want to try something different I would go with NCL or Celebrity. NCL with all of its restaurants make it pretty cool and Celebrity is a step above RCCL, NCL and CCL. I wouldn't sail Disney again without my kids so unless you are bringing kids they aren't worth the price difference.

I have to tell you, I am more about the ports than the ship, I have stopped sailing NCL because we get the same ports continuosly and they aren't very good ones...some of the other lines offer more itineraries from more ports...

And in my opinion, between RCCL, NCL and CCL, I think the food in the MDR is better on CCL. Although the food on Celebrity was better than them all...

I think variety is good, but honesty if you are looking for different I would try Celebrity or Princess or HAL...

I am looking for a Carnival fans point of view mostly here. I have sailed on over 10 Carnival Cruises and occasionally I get the sense of feeling a lot of the same. Although I feel like the difference in money between these two lines is just not worth the difference and I just need to change up things I am doing with Carnival.

I am looking for opinions on those who have tried both lines and have any information to share. I posted a similar post to this on the Royal forums but I got so many posts about how awesome royal is and so on. I am looking for just an honest answer on whether the additional money (Which seems like a lot to me) is worth it.

I also noticed that Carnival's ports seem much more varied, and most of Royal's all go to the same place.

Thanks for anyones opinions!

I tried and wish now I didn't. I paid more and got less. Royal has worse food, boring nightlife and things I can do a block from my house. Rock climbing wall, ice rink ect... Who wants that on a cruise when you can do that at home. Royal should charge less than Carnival for the boredom you will ensue. Stick to a cruiseline that knows how to have "FUN";)

I frequently cruise both lines. One of the main reasons for such is exactly what you just mentioned - avoiding sameness.

In answer to your question, YES!!! If not RCI, then another line. After being on many cruises of the same line and experiencing the same thing over and over and over, trying another line is like going on that very first cruise all over again. It is very refreshing to do so.

I agree with you 100%! As mentioned above, when we sailed on RCCL this year, it was after 9 consecutive Carnival cruises, and honestly, I had lost the excitement about cruising. Sailing on a different cruise line made everthing new and refreshing.

And it was nothing against Carnival. I think I would've felt the same way had I taken so many consecutive cruises on ANY cruise line.

Our family has been mostly Carnival fans over the years. We did try Royal in 2008 (Adventure of the Seas) for a change. I looked up my review of that cruise and found some of these notes that I made:

Smooth embarkation, uncomfortable sofa, difficult to navigate floors as many dont go through (makes shore excursions a pain), didn't get hustled for photos as much, the food was unimaginitive and rather bland; not bad but less appealling than any other cruse we had been on; entertainment better than most.

In the end was the fact that when we got back we were not jumping on the computer to research our next cruise . . .

I would do Royal again, but not my first choice in these times.

I have to respond to your statement that on the Adventure it was difficult to navagate as many floors don't go through. That is wrong, every floor is continuous, all go through. That was the problem I found with Carnival, many of the floors don't go through and you need to go up a deck, over, then down a deck to get from point a to point b, no straight line there! Just wanted to clarify that point.

I have to respond to your statement that on the Adventure it was difficult to navagate as many floors don't go through. That is wrong, every floor is continuous, all go through. That was the problem I found with Carnival, many of the floors don't go through and you need to go up a deck, over, then down a deck to get from point a to point b, no straight line there! Just wanted to clarify that point.

you are incorrect. the ice rink prevents passage on the lower decks.

2 floors are affected.

and 2 floors are affected on carnival for the galley/restaurants.

II am looking for opinions on those who have tried both lines and have any information to share. I posted a similar post to this on the Royal forums but I got so many posts about how awesome royal is and so on. I am looking for just an honest answer on whether the additional money (Which seems like a lot to me) is worth it.

Isn't that what you want to hear if you are considering them? Not being snarky, so please don't take me that way. I read the thread on the RCI board and it seemed very fair and full of information - much of it from people who know both lines. Was there something about the answers you didn't like? :confused:

Everyone here makes all very good points. I do find the Carnival shows in my opinion are very poor, I thought the only show I saw on the Legend 2 weeks ago was absolutely horrible.

I know there are many different options on Royal's ships for shows and what not. I know I do enjoy Carnival, and typically just hang out a lot. So that might be where I stay, but I do think its worth a shot for me to try a Royal cruise, one with all the bells and whistles so I can compare why Royal is so great for those bigger ships.

My biggest thought right now is that Carnival seems to have a lot of different itineraries that go out of Florida, and they are all very different and neat. All of royals all seem pretty much the same.

Isn't that what you want to hear if you are considering them? Not being snarky, so please don't take me that way. I read the thread on the RCI board and it seemed very fair and full of information - much of it from people who know both lines. Was there something about the answers you didn't like? :confused:

I am not saying the answers were not fair by any means, I am saying that all of the answers called royal the best because of the shows and such. Which I do not really do at this point, so with that knowledge am wondering another opinion.

Thats all.

My biggest thought right now is that Carnival seems to have a lot of different itineraries that go out of Florida, and they are all very different and neat. All of royals all seem pretty much the same.

Royal just doesnt have as many ships to keep in Florida year round, plus their biggest ships cant go everywhere, so yeah there are limitations with Royal.

Royal just doesnt have as many ships to keep in Florida year round, plus their biggest ships cant go everywhere, so yeah there are limitations with Royal.

Ya maybe thats the issue. I just wish that since one of the Oasis class ships does one route, I wish the Allure did something else instead of the same thing. I want to try them really bad, the ports just bore me now.. lol

I've sailed both lines as well. I didn't see a lot of difference, but there were a few. We liked RCCL's pool areas better. The food I would have to say I didn't see a whole lot of difference EXCEPT when you eat at the buffet (at least the ship we were on) you were seated at a nice table with nice linen's, your waiter brought you your drink, and then told you to help yourself to the buffet. They also had a pasta station set up seperately which was nice, and a carving station as well. It made eating at the buffet really special. After the 1st night they remembered what you wanted to drink. We really appreciated that.

I would definately sail them again if the price was right. We have done more Carnival than any other, we've also done NCL. But you should definately try different lines. They are all special.

Since you've never stepped foot on RCL, your opinion is not valid

An opinion is not a fact and therefore has no validation...everyone has one and maybe because they have never sailed RCCL there opinion is not warranted in this discussion, but myself having sailed them a few different times, happens to agree with them...you don't always get much more for your buck.

Partially true. CCL only has one more ship than RCI. RCI is just heavy on the European market during the summer. In the winter, they have plenty of ships here.

Also, they have some pretty good itineraries out of PR.

I might need to look at the options that go out of PR to see. Does anyone know anything about cruises to Alaska?

We are thinking of taking a cruise to Alaska next year and are wondering if there is a preferred line for this. Which route is the best to take, my girlfriend wants to know whats the details about a train there she has heard about, and what month is the best to go!

Thank everyone for so much help!

Our last cruise as on RC and we liked it very much. For a while we were unsure as to which line we liked more and even now, aren't 100% sure. Royal's food was a bit too upscale for my liking. I'm a very picky eater who mainly eats pasta and chicken. But we found the ship itself to be a lot more geared to the cruiser who loves watching the waves go by. Love the ceiling to floor windows and their chair set ups! We also liked casual dining more. Loads of options and we never once waited in a line. It's worth the extra money, I'd say, as long as you aren't breaking the bank!

I might need to look at the options that go out of PR to see. Does anyone know anything about cruises to Alaska?

We are thinking of taking a cruise to Alaska next year and are wondering if there is a preferred line for this. Which route is the best to take, my girlfriend wants to know whats the details about a train there she has heard about, and what month is the best to go!

For an Alaskan itinerary, I personally think Princess and HAL do the best job (any ship), or RCI Radiance Class. Itineraries are similar. Doing the train Cruise Tour, expect to double the price of your cruise. If you have the time though, it is worth it.

Archived