Altun ha or lamanai

wolfegizmo

We are trying to decide between the two excursions with royal caribbean.

Has anyone taken either with Rccl?

I read that the road to altun ha is very rocky and bouncy. (I can't take a 4x4 ride)

My husband can't do extensive walking uphill or for long periods of time. Is the path to get into lamanai hard to navigate?

Any advice is appreciated?

lamanai is about a mile and 1/2 walk. it's a slow walk, but it can get muddy. you need to be able to walk over roots, wood steps, rock steps, uneven ground. we had people walking in flip fllops, one with a cane, one with new knees...everyone made it around. you, also, need to be able to step up, in and out of the boat.

lamanai is amazing, but it can be hot and humid. the howler monkey, jungle and boat ride is a not miss for those that can do it.

1787727140_beautifulday.jpg.342a2ba0a19ca6dd775b8fa1d1a2a374.jpg

1149117277_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.296c514adcc31aee6868bcd72248a1b6.jpg

1982635343_ballcourtwithcenterstone.jpg.cd3c1da97678e10744d06aecb10d556a.jpg

1651129228_returntorestarea.jpg.1fd1c4dccd1d376b12e2abe265781a4f.jpg

We did the Altun Ha tour. Since I had a teenage girl (first time out of country), an active pre-schooler, and a 75-yr old mother, I didn't want to risk an overly long tour. You need to consider the line for tendering into and out of port as well. On the Legend, we waited over an hour before getting on our tender so were short on time to begin with.

The roads to Altun Ha out of Belize City is what I would call - rural highways. The last part of it is bumpy, but only on the old-highway portion. It's really not that long and no worse than driving on the gravel-exposed sections of roads under construction or the pothole-filled highways around NYC.:D For me, the small amount of discomfort was worth seeing the ruins. It's small but well-maintained with beautiful surroundings. Be warned that if you go in August - it is HOT in the sun and lots of mosquitos if you go into the shade.

Our semi-private guide (shared with another couple in our van) from Cavetubing.bz was a local with Mayan heritage, and pointed out vegetation and terraine along the way. We even stopped to observe an iguana sitting on the wall of a private property.

• 3 weeks later...
Altun Ha River Wallace tour was 7 hrs long and excrutiating. 2 1/2 hr boat ride, 30 min. for lunch you buy (don't get the chicken) 45 min. bus ride. It was hotter than anything. I'd never suggest that tour.

I think we get that you didn't like it. However - must the same thing be posted on every single thread about Altun Ha? I'm not getting any further in making a decision from your review....what were the ruins like? I already know about the boat ride, bus ride, etc. - I want to know about what I'm actually going to see!

Just wanted to know if anyone has gone to Altun through Carnival. How was the experience?

I think it may be better to go through the cruiseline when going on

such a long excursion. Since my husband just had knee surgery, we thought we would go with a shorter excursion. We don't just want to sit by the pool.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Archived