nikon coolpix L120

whiteduv65

ok got my new camera but i have tried to find a UV protector for it for alaska cant seem to find the size anyone have any ideas?

Like most superzooms, the L120 doesn't have filter threads. To use a filter, you have to get a threaded adapter that slips over the end of the lens barrel. Be aware that with many of these, they slip over the outer housing and only work at wide angle due to the length of the lens when fully extended. Some fit the smaller barrel extension for telephoto, but will pop off as the lens retracts if you forget to remove it before the camera is turned off. Or worse, if the adapter clamps on the extended lens too tightly, it can damage the zoom mechanism as the lens tries to retract. If you plan to get an adapter, my suggestion would be to get one that accommodates the wide angle range of the camera and put a polarizer on it for scenery.

IMHO, it is usually unnecessary to use a protective filter unless you are in fairly severe conditions where dust and sand are a threat to the front element. Since superzooms aren't well protected against the elements because of the extreme extension of the lens mechanism, any situation that truly demands a front filter would place the entire camera at risk. Reasonable care in blowing or brushing dust off the lens before cleaning and using lens tissues, a microfiber cloth or even a Lens Pen will prevent scratching the coatings.

Personally, I have never been a fan of putting another piece of glass between the camera and the subject unless it is absolutely necessary.

Just my opinion.

Dave

i have tried to find a UV protector for it for alaska cant seem to find the size anyone have any ideas?

Should you find an adapter for your Nikon, you might get a Neutral Density filter as well - it will be needed in the snow/ice conditions in Alaska, specially icebergs/glaciers etc.

As an aside, I have a Panasonic FZ100 and had a UV filter on it when it got dropped - thank God for the filter otherwise the lens would have gotten smashed!

Archived