Where to stay the night before?

mitchg123

We're going on our first cruise on Mariner of the Seas Dec. 11, out of Port Canaveral. We plan of flying in to Orlando the day before. Is it better to stay in Orlando, or book a hotel right by the port and travel there that evening?

You are going to end up paying for transportation from the airport to the pier if you stay at a hotel right at the airport. Here is a link to one right in the airport.

http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

Now if you go over to the coast the day before the cruise you will be paying for transportation from the airport to whatever hotel you decide to stay at and then pay again for transportation from that hotel to the pier.

It would seem like it would be cheaper to just pay one transportation cost from the airport to the pier rather than two.

It may be some hotels and motels over by Port Canaveral have special deals that include free transportation from their lodging to the ship but if they don't you will be paying for transportation twice using that option.

IMHO.

PS I just checked the Radison link above it does say it offers a free shuttle from there to the port which sort of refutes my arguement. Pick the hotel that suits your style the best.

Have a great next cruise.

Most of the hotels on Cocoa Beach provide free transportation to the port. And, for that matter, many of them allow you to leave your car there for the week free. Not an issue if you're flying in. We stayed at the Courtyard Cocoa Beach. It is RIGHT ON the beach and walking distance to MANY restaurants and the Ron-Jon Surf Shop, which is a must-see. And not any more $ than the Radisson. We skipped the free shuttle because it only came one time, at noon, and we wanted to go earlier. The cab ride was 5-10 minutes and $7 for two people. The Radisson is nice and it's right next to the port but I would stay on the beach for the same price. Don't stay in Orlando. The traffic is usually horrible. If you don't want to go to a theme park, get out of there as soon as you land.

Mitch123,

Check out this site.....

http://www.lastminutetravel.com/PageHotelSearchResults.aspx?dontPerformSearch=1&ResultCompleted=1 (I put in a Dec. date)

Once you have entered Cocoa Beach and your correct date then click on the 2nd "Off The Record/Last Minute Exclusive" for $74.00. This is the Hilton on Cocoa Beach ..... If you want to double check then, after clicking on on the hightlighted ~ more info link .... you can run your mouse over the "Hotel search" results on your taskbar and it will show you that it is the Hilton (if you don't see Hilton at first then slide your mouse over something else on your taskbar line and then come back to the "Hotel Search" in your taskbar and walla there it is!)

I think this is suppose to be a secret 'cuz they don't tell you the hotel/resort until after you book, but I just happened to notice the other night and have since booked our 3-day after cruise stay on the beach!

Barb

Counting down to the Glory on 7/9/2005

We used the lastminute travel/easyclicktravel link to book our night's stay at the Hilton. It was about $50/cheaper than the lowest rate at the Radisson which I couldn't pass up. We're parking our rental car at the port, but you could always arrange for a cab or local transfer company to take you from the hotel to the port.

Hi there, i am from south africa and cruised 2003 from port canaveral on mariner, had a long delay in new york due to hurricane charlie and we were terrified of missing cruise , due to orlando airport being closed, luckily it opened that evening and we flew to orlando, went directly to Radisson at the port 9only arrived at midnight!)who kept our gorgeous room and when woke up the next morning could see our Ship, what a terrific sight, great breakfast and they took us free of charge to the port, put your name on their list when you check in , as lots of cruisers stay there, I booked on internet on roomsavers.com and often use that website. Cruising on july 1 2005 from new york on Voyager and will not have to worry about airports and bad weather !! I agree it is best to stay as close to port as poss. night before, makes for relaxing night specially larger groups, we are 8 people in our group. happy cruising!

Thank you for the advice - I think we will stay near the ship, it seems to make the most sense.

Another suggestion. Go to the pre-post hotel section on this CC board. There is a wealth of info there regarding hotels near the pier.

Marilyn

Archived