java cafe

hearts12

Our experience dates back a few years, but what we found was "sometimes" the cookies were free and other times they would not give them to you, saying that those were reserved for paying guests...they would be free, but you had to buy a specialty (espresso-based) coffee.

The cookies and most of the same pastries are available in the buffet for free.

The pastries are supposed to be free. Never asked for one so I can't tell you for sure. With regard to the coffee: This seems to be a mixed situation. Every time I've asked for a regular (i.e. non-espresso coffee) at at Java Cafe, they've used the espresso machine to make me an "Americano" and charged me for it. I've stopped going to the Java Cafe at all.

is regular coffee free and the pastries free on the java cafe?

i thought you had to pay for them

On the Jewel all the pastries in the glass display case are free for the asking. No purchase required.

Sometimes just walking by we spotted something good and just asked for it.

I even received 'regular' coffee for my thermal mug when I happened to mention that I was on my way to the buffet for coffee. They filled my mug for free.

Most every day (sometimes twice a day) I ordered their Caramel Macchiato because it was so delicious. ($4 large & well worth it).

We spent some time at the Java Cafe about half way through the cruise till the end. I asked the servers how it worked. They told me that the coffees you ordered from the menu were at a cost(2.50 to 3.50$). Pastries were free whether you bought a coffee or not. They have a table always set up to the side of the service counter and the coffee from coffee urns there was free. The Java cafe is also a full service bar as well.

The pastries were good. The iced coffee was good. My only comment was that I ordered and "iced Cappuccino" one day and got a "coolada" like beverage. The next day I ordered the same thing and got an iced coffee. Not that its a bad thing, but I think there was a language barrier issue. Not on my part....on theirs. It was all good and a great place to spend a little time and people watch.

Nora

• 3 years later...

So there is for sure a full bar at the Java Cafe? is the Atrium bar and Java Cafe the same bar?? looks like it on deck plan. Im planning a pub crawl and booze is mandatory! Lol!

Edited by JodiCruise

So there is for sure a full bar at the Java Cafe? is the Atrium bar and Java Cafe the same bar?? looks like it on deck plan. Im planning a pub crawl and booze is mandatory! Lol!

This thread is four years old :rolleyes:

HOWEVER if you are on the EPIC there is a bar near the Atrium Cafe (if its not called Carlo's yet).

Going on th Dawn next month. We sailed on the Dawn in 2011 and I don't recall the Java Cafe..oops. I hope they have decaf iced coffee. Do they have a coffee card like they do on Princess?? Anyone know?? Last 2 times we sailed Princess in 2010 and 2011 we had coffee cards. Thanks!!

Going on th Dawn next month. We sailed on the Dawn in 2011 and I don't recall the Java Cafe..oops. I hope they have decaf iced coffee. Do they have a coffee card like they do on Princess?? Anyone know?? Last 2 times we sailed Princess in 2010 and 2011 we had coffee cards. Thanks!!

They don't have a coffee card. I wish they did!