More info on plans of new owner

milepig

All heard onboard the Wind Spirit during the LeHavre/Lisbon cruise.

New owners are investing 12 Million dollars - 6 on the Surf, 3 each on the Star and Spirit.

Most to go to "cosmetic things" - redecorating lounge/cabins etc.

Plans are to go with a more "nautical" theme (according to our guest services person). This seems to us to be a huge mistake, and WindStar isn't the normal cruise line - better to us to go with a more upscale boutique hotel look, but then they didn't ask us.

Star and Spirit to each go out of service for 5 weeks soon - Surf will be done 1/2 at a time, the first half during their normal upcoming drydock.

BTW - the Spirit is looking really, really tired, and we had very poor service with only 75 onboard - crew mostly stood around talking to each other, at breakfast we pretty much had to get up and get our own coffee!!

I reluctantly checked "no" on the survey to the question "would you recommend Windstar to others." They seem like they're on autopilot at the moment, (not that I blame them with so much uncertainty),and I'm going to give them some time to sort things out before committing to another cruise with them.

We were on the Surf a couple of weeks ago. Heard basically the same as you about investing in the ships. They also feel they need to grow the fleet in order to become really profitable.

From what the crew said, most of the Surf cruises are running at 85 plus percent full. Ours, however, was only 50%. Probably due to the itinerary (Athens to Rome) and being the last part of July (very hot). As for service, it was almost too good. Being only 50% full, the crew spent the time talking to the passengers and were always trying to do something for you. This, of course, may have been due to some of the crew recognizing us from past cruises.

As for the future "theme" I tend to agree with a nautical theme rather than an upscale boutique hotel type theme. With older ships they need to not try and compete with the Seabourn, SeaDream etc. cruise lines. They are unique and need to play to the strength of the "sailing" feel of the ships.

We are 6x past cruisers on Windstar, and are considering a transatlantic booking for 2012. Does anyone know the timetable for the refurbishing of each ship?

It looks like the Surf will be out of operation from Nov 12 to Dec 10 this year. Normal dry dock is two weeks so it looks like there's scope for an additional two weeks of work while she transits the Atlantic as that is a non-passenger sailing this autumn.

HTH,

Mands

It looks like the Surf will be out of operation from Nov 12 to Dec 10 this year. Normal dry dock is two weeks so it looks like there's scope for an additional two weeks of work while she transits the Atlantic as that is a non-passenger sailing this autumn.

HTH,

Mands

If what we were told is true, there will be an additional extended absence of the Surf. What we heard was they're planning to do it half at a time, with the Star and Spirit getting the full job all at once.

It looks like I didn't mention it in my first post, but the captain also told us that new sails are being fabricated in South Africa.

If what we were told is true, there will be an additional extended absence of the Surf. What we heard was they're planning to do it half at a time, with the Star and Spirit getting the full job all at once.

It looks like I didn't mention it in my first post, but the captain also told us that new sails are being fabricated in South Africa.

Looks like there's another three weeks in May and June that's unaccounted for. Perhaps the second half will be then? Looks too long to be charters.

Mands

Looks like there's another three weeks in May and June that's unaccounted for. Perhaps the second half will be then? Looks too long to be charters.

Mands

The Surf is chartered from May 20 through June 16--actually four weeks. One charter company but four somewhat unique sailings. I'm back-to-back on two of the chartered weeks.

The Surf is chartered from May 20 through June 16--actually four weeks. One charter company but four somewhat unique sailings. I'm back-to-back on two of the chartered weeks.

<Cheeky>

All the recent charters seem to be either Foodie or Swingers/ClothesOptional .... curious minds and all that :)

</Cheeky>

Mands

Being incredibly naughty as I can see that there's a lovely Food & Drink charter on the date you've mentioned

• 3 weeks later...

As I just booked the Surf's November 5-12 cruise (Barcelona to Lisbon), sounds like the ship will be going out for its refit immediately after we finish. Wonder how this will affect the quality of our cruising experience. Any ideas?

As I just booked the Surf's November 5-12 cruise (Barcelona to Lisbon), sounds like the ship will be going out for its refit immediately after we finish. Wonder how this will affect the quality of our cruising experience. Any ideas?

We booked for October of 2012 and I have the same concerns. The rooms will have been completely redone by then but nothing will have been done to the public areas. It is my experience over many years of cruising that the period just before a major dry dock means that lots of things (large and small) that should be repaired are put off with the knowledge that a major refurb is coming. I do not imagine it will be different on Surf and we are considering changing our dates accordingly.

The ship is already looking worn in the public spaces based on the opinions of most reviewers and another year of use will not improve that.

Does anyone have any information on the charters...May,June2012?

Those with delicate sensitivities may wish to consider carefully before they follow some of the links :)

Mands

• May 20 2012 - Chaine des Rotisseurs Mediterranean Gala, details here

• June 2 2012 - Sokol Blosser, details here

• June 9 2012 - Winemaker Food & Wine Cruise, details here

• July 21 2012 - Lifestyle Mediterranean cruise, Au Naturel, details here

• 2 weeks later...

I've never sailed on Windstar but was considering a cruise this December. When I found out about the need for dry dock, I decided against it. Then I found out they would be doing a dry dock on all 3 vessels. I'm very happy they are doing the dry docks. When it is all complete, we will try Windstar. Maybe it'll help attract new customers like us. :o

Archived