Kindle 3g on Carnival

LoveByrds

I am sitting on the Carnival Sensation staring over at the Disney Dream and RC Freedom of the seas. It is a gorgoues allbeit hot day. And my kindle is working online perfectly. Is this possible my way of being online and surpasing expensive fees???

I will let you know :)

Nope... you're still in port and the satellite com system owned by Cellular At Sea isn't even turned on. You'll probably have a 3G signal for seven or eight miles before you're out of range... maybe farther but then you'll go into roaming... pricey roaming...

:)

If you plan on being online its going to be an expensive Cruise.......so put your Kindle away and go grab a DOD and have a wonderful cruise...then let us know how things went when you get home........ :)

Since the 3G/Edge service through the Kindle is free... I don't think that it would cost you anything.

However, I am also not sure if it can be accessible through the Cellular At Sea service.

You are correct on both accounts. There will be no roaming charges however you may or may not be able to connect to the ships cell services (there have been reports on various lines that it was possible though).

On our last cruise I was not able to actually connect and buy books until we got to the next port...I was pretty much stuck with the books I had already purchased and downloaded. (Thankfully I had bought a few before leaving our embarkation port.)

I've been trying to decide between and Kindle and Nook and have a question, with the Kindle 3g, internet is free? I'm referring to when I'm at home, I understand at sea that's a different issue. I can't seem to decide and now reading above about free 3g internet with Kindle that might be the deciding factor. thanks and not meaning to hijack your thread! Have a great cruise!:D

I've been trying to decide between and Kindle and Nook and have a question, with the Kindle 3g, internet is free? I'm referring to when I'm at home, I understand at sea that's a different issue. I can't seem to decide and now reading above about free 3g internet with Kindle that might be the deciding factor. thanks and not meaning to hijack your thread! Have a great cruise!:D

Yes the 3g is included in the price.

I love my kindle3 and as long as you have a cell phone service signal the kindle3 will work for the internet. I bought a book out on a boat while my husband was snorkling off the coast of St Thomas island in the Caribbean. As long as the cell signal is available there is no charge. After the signal is gone you have the option of signing up for the wifi the ship offers and that is a charge. Most of the time I download enough books to last through the vacation. Amazon has almost 50,000. free books you can download also. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, do any of you know if the Nook offers free internet on 3g also? I've been leaning toward the Nook only b/c I can get free books on loan from library. I do know that Kindle is working on the "library" issue also but I cruise at the very beginning of Oct and am anxious to get one now!

thanks!

I have a Nook 3G. My internet is free. I LOVE being able to download library books to my Nook. One of the reasons why I chose the Nook over the Kindle is because I can check out library books out now. Not have to wait until the "deal is finalized". I have read most of the best sellers via the library. Saved tons of money to apply towards my "next cruise fund" :)

On my last two cruises I was able to post to my Facebook account using my Kindle - while lazing on the deck enjoying a DOD! I could also check my email. No charge for making my friends back home jealous!!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Nope... you're still in port and the satellite com system owned by Cellular At Sea isn't even turned on. You'll probably have a 3G signal for seven or eight miles before you're out of range... maybe farther but then you'll go into roaming... pricey roaming...

:)

Sorry, but not true. Enjoyed free e-mail, newspapers and google searches via my Kindle on both our July Miracle cruise and on the HAL Veendam we just returned from. No need to sign into the ship's accounts. Even out at sea I was able to e-mail for free and search for free without any password!

Darn it. I didn't think to bring my Kindle on my cruise last week. Would have been great to get free internet.

While at port, my smart phone saw wireless service. I tried connecting to it until it asked for name and cabin number which I didn't go further as I was afraid of being charged to my S&S account. I'll definitely bring my Kindle on the December trip.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Darn it. I didn't think to bring my Kindle on my cruise last week. Would have been great to get free internet.

While at port, my smart phone saw wireless service. I tried connecting to it until it asked for name and cabin number which I didn't go further as I was afraid of being charged to my S&S account. I'll definitely bring my Kindle on the December trip.

Just be patient, it's slow, but from what other people were saying, so was the ship's internet! LOL

Just got a Kindle3 today. How do you check your email on it? My understanding was that the internet access is only good for downloading books and nothing else. Am I just confused (which is completely possible as I am such a newbie to this)?

I've taken my Kindle with 3G on a few cruises and you can only use the internet while in port or at least when you're close enough to a port to have a signal. It doesn't work while you are at sea. It is free when you can access it.

I don't have the newest Kindle but to get to the internet I have to go to menu, turn the wireless on, go to home, back to menu, and choose experimental.

Soon as I posted the question, I went searching on the Kindle and found that exact info. But thank you so very much for answering so quickly! This just might be one of the BEST purchases I have ever made. I was so against them for so long because I wanted pages to turn. Now I am SOLD on the benefits. Lurve it!:D

I love my Kindle, I got the internet on a train between Vienna and Prague last year. The thing is amazing. You can check email and look up the weather. I have not had much success with CC though it doesn't load properly. any tricks to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update-sorry it took so long my account wouldn't let me see previous posts and i couldn't find it till now!

Post #2 was absolutely right, i was able to be online for a few miles out of the Cape Canaveral port (facebooking goodby to my bf) but from there on out i was not able to access the web. I tried everyday, and only had luck in one of the ports-but don't remember what port it was.

We were too busy having fun! :D

It was great to be able to take my Kindle with me everywhere and be able to read in lines or on the deck looking over the gorgeous seas.

I have a Kindle 3g, and LOVE it!! i have downloaded over 140 free books from Amazon.com.

I also tried, while I was out to sea, to get a signal, I saw the Kindle's little mind spinning, then the Carnival's sign in page came up. Poooh!!

I haven't tried to access the internet at home, as I use my computer, but I should learn how to do it, so I can take it to ports with me.

Melanie

Archived