Hotels/Areas in London to stay precruise?

Babie

I'll be sailing out of Barcelona in late October, but I'm extending the trip with a few days in London then a few days in Paris before finally making my way to Barcelona for a 16 night Transatlantic cruise.

Can any of you give me specific areas of London that would be centrally located, or at least really near public transit so I can see as much as possible in about 5-6 days time?

I know this isn't the exact place to ask about this and I apologize, but any help would be appreciated.

My main interests include the usual tourist "hot spots". (feel free to share any local secrets you may know!)

Thanx a ton for any help/advice!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Lower+Sloane+St%2FA3216&daddr=51.485378,-0.1373913+to:51.49463,-0.1238+to:51.51609,-0.11951+to:51.52081,-0.1233+to:51.5197,-0.1334+to:51.5169689,-0.1460593+to:51.51525,-0.15649+to:51.51494,-0.17316+to:51.51068,-0.17185+to:Sloane+St%2FA3216&hl=en&sll=51.514725,-0.136642&sspn=0.040701,0.10025&geocode=FZ21EQMdmZj9_w%3BFcKaEQMdUef9_ymJHEgB4wR2SDHhf52qLa4OEw%3BFea-EQMdaBz-_ykrHRMQwgR2SDExtwg5xoUREw%3BFboSEgMdKi3-_yk9EMM7NRt2SDGhUv84xoUREw%3BFSolEgMdXB7-_yl7gUapNht2SDFBxP84xoUREw%3BFdQgEgMd6Pb9_ymtmjg7LBt2SDHBPo6qLa4OEw%3BFSgWEgMddcX9_ylrDJyH1Bp2SDGwKgc3xoUREw%3BFXIPEgMdtpz9_ykfBEEozRp2SDFRgZc2xoUREw%3BFTwOEgMdmFv9_ymt_swtsxp2SDHxff84xoUREw%3BFZj9EQMdtmD9_ymFdMs4TAV2SDGR3VM5xoUREw%3BFVK3EQMd3pf9_w&mra=dpe&mrsp=5&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9&vpsrc=0&z=13

Somewhere vaguely within the blue line would be best, though don't treat that as hard-and-fast.

Central London has many many places of interest spread within perhaps a mile of the north bank of the river & 1/4 mile of its south bank, so nowhere is close to everywhere. For instance, Harrods & the South Kensington museum complex to the west, and the Tower of London & Tower Bridge to the east, didn't even make it to my blue line.

So close to a tube station is quite important - especially if you stay somewhere outside the blue line. And close to a ho-ho route is useful.

Also consider the convenience of transport to your airport/s. Victoria has perhaps the best connections.

There are a very few undesirable areas for visitors to stay, but the number of hotels gives an indication of perfectly acceptable areas.

Tube routes

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Don't use this map for above-ground orientation, it's schematic and can be very misleading. Useful only for tube journey-planning.

Ho-ho bus routes

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/tour-information/tour-routes.htm

or

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=maps

The London Toolkit (google it) is an exceptionally useful site for a general background, but bear in mind that transfer companies etc recommended on the site are those who advertise with them

JB :)

When in london, make sure you buy an Oyster card. These cost £3 and you load it with money. It is then swiped everytime you go on tube or bus. It works out a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets.

Make sure you visit the theatre! The shows are amazing. Some theatres sell day tickets a a cheaper price for that days show. Also ticket booths in Leicester square.

Make sure you visit Covent garden, and Camden town both very different but amazing. x

If your looking for some where decent but not too expensive try Premier Inn, Holiday express, or travel lodge. Iv stayed in premier inn on york rd next to Kings cross. The place is great. Rooms and food! Plus its only a short walk to the main tube station.

Iv also stayed in most Marriot hotels in London, they offer nice accomadation especially the up market Court house on the south bank, which is near Big Ben.

Try looking on Late rooms for a good deal.

Archived