Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

I have seen very few starfish near the beach but I did find a spot closer to the Iguana Wall... again if I had the ability to paint and load from google earth I would. There is a spot father out it looks sorta like a backwards three..

Going to attempt this backwards 3. You let me know if I get it right.

I'm not sure if this is it and if it is, if you mean the inner or outer of the 3 LOL

3.jpg

See, I gotta learn how to do that. :)

Your three is on the outer reef, now ya know where the outer reef is. Past that is the deep blue beyond, what Goose has been calling the "Nemo" moment. Truly it is great fun to float along watching the big fishes come out of the blue, one moment nothing then FISH! Tis cool if a bit unnerving.

The three I am talking about is farther down, hmm it is possible the top end of it is at the very bottom of your map.

Have you seen the original map? RoatanwestbayDotcom

At the bottom of your three there is something I have heard called the rock field, that black stuff, it is not really reef but something else. The there is a bit of light blue, that is sand through the water.. if you go toward the beach from there..my three has it's, dang I am sorry my three is not backwards..silly me.. ok so my three has it's back to the beach, sandy bottom so you are looking for light blue with a blackish back and two open -ish looking spots toward the sea.

Have another go and see if my description is close. :)

ok, these photos are too cool. This is a great way to show newbies how to enjoy this reef. Guest....the starfish room I mentioned was the 1st open area once thru the kidney channel. Last May I counted at least 20. The starfish along the shore had enough sense to migrate farther out on the cruise ship days. I do remember that "3" area did have more urchins than starfish....still pretty neat. Now I'm really getting stoked for our return to WB a week from tomorrow, if only for a half day.

Indeed, Snorkel2Much found the 3 I speak of..nice work.

Goose, I have seen more flounder in both the kidney and your sand bit than starfish, may be time of year shifts them around.

In Feb and March of this year there were so many starfish in the 3 of Snorkel2Much's 13 I could not count them all. Hard to say if they are always there or if it is some years/not other or some months/not others.

Ahh, I re read this Goose says the starfish were not in the 3 in May of last year...phooey, maybe they go else where. Perhaps a good reason to have a cruise the the island in Feb or March one year. :)

I have not been in the island as late as May, April a couple years but not May, in any year so it is very possible things shift and change.

by the by ~ I have some photos I snapped of starfish in the Palmetto Bay area in 2008... here scroll down a bit, there are three of different colors, they were in some fair shallow water.

quote=Guest 2000;30378876]See, I gotta learn how to do that.

Your three is on the outer reef, now ya know where the outer reef is. Past that is the deep blue beyond, what Goose has been calling the "Nemo" moment. Truly it is great fun to float along watching the big fishes come out of the blue, one moment nothing then FISH! Tis cool if a bit unnerving.

The three I am talking about is farther down, hmm it is possible the top end of it is at the very bottom of your map.

Have you seen the original map? RoatanwestbayDotcom

At the bottom of your three there is something I have heard called the rock field, that black stuff, it is not really reef but something else. The there is a bit of light blue, that is sand through the water.. if you go toward the beach from there..my three has it's, dang I am sorry my three is not backwards..silly me.. ok so my three has it's back to the beach, sandy bottom so you are looking for light blue with a blackish back and two open -ish looking spots toward the sea.

Have another go and see if my description is close.

My head was spinning after that post. I decided to wait until today and sleep on it to try to figure this out. LOL :eek: :D

Then I woke up to someone posting a picture of what you were talking about. THANK YOU SO MUCH! hehe :p

I think your number 3 is the "3" in the "13" I show here:

TabySnorkel.jpg

The 13 is very clear from up here. :)

by the by ~ I have some photos I snapped of starfish in the Palmetto Bay area in 2008... here scroll down a bit, there are three of different colors, they were in some fair shallow water.

BEAUTIFUL pictures. THANKS for sharing. It looked so nice there. Wow, you caught a lot of neat little critters. :)

Thanks!

I am a bit of a shutter bug...Palmetto Bay is down the island a bit..across the main road from French Harbor..ya gotta get up and over the hill, quite the adventure when it is raining. :)

I was staying in Palmetto Bay and walking the dogs every morning down the beach as far as I could go..we would hit mangroves. Marbella Beach is perhaps what West Bay was before humans showed up. It is truly a beautiful spot but not so much as a port a potty much less a building.

There has been talk for years about John Edwards, the Parrot Tree guy, building a resort and marina on Marbellla beach. I have not been down to that part of the island in a few years so I am not sure what the what is at the moment.

This is Marbella beach on a good day.. speaking of critters I found on the beach. Imagine my surprise! :)

This thread is super helpful. I'm going to be there with my DH and another couple in early November on the Valor (Oct 30). DH & I went snorkeling once in Hawaii at Hanuma Bay. He's excited to do it again so I've been trying to figure out where to go. Thanks for all the info!

I'm thinking we can just take a taxi from the port to the Infinity Bay area and just hang out on the beach until we're ready to eat. My concern now is where to eat. Are there other restaurants in walking distance besides the resorts?

I can only think of three eating places that are not connected to resorts. The deli in West Bay Mall, the little place behind Bananarama, I do not remember the name and Bite on the Beach at the opposite end of West Bay.

With that said, any of the restaurants will be more than happy to feed ya. Infinity has a palapa bar people like. Mayan Princess has a slightly more formal sit down place, Bananarama's Thirsty Turtle is popular. I have eaten more than once at Paradise Beach Club. Foster's has a yummy fish sandwich.

All of these places mentioned are walking distance depending on how far you want to walk.

Often times people take the Tabyana Beach excursion from the ship instead of a do it yourself taxi... the thought is the price is not much different and the shuttle back an forth gives persons more options on when to return to the ship. Tabyana Beach is RIGHT next to Infinity.

Hope this helps, enjoy your visit.

Thanks Guest 2000. After I posted I looked at taxi rates, and I think you're right. If we don't go through the ship, we may just do a private tour/taxi for the day. It seems like it's a little less PP and we'll have some flexibility.

This thread is super helpful. I'm going to be there with my DH and another couple in early November on the Valor (Oct 30). DH & I went snorkeling once in Hawaii at Hanuma Bay. He's excited to do it again so I've been trying to figure out where to go. Thanks for all the info!

I'm thinking we can just take a taxi from the port to the Infinity Bay area and just hang out on the beach until we're ready to eat. My concern now is where to eat. Are there other restaurants in walking distance besides the resorts?

From what I understand (we have not been there yet, but will be sailing in 10 days from now) the beach is about 1 mile long and everything within walking distance.

We plan on going to Bite on the Beach. They are suppose to have really good food and you can sit on the deck and watch the eels and other animals in the water while you eat.

http://biteonthebeach.net/

IMG_5826.JPG

dmarie.....I think most of the independent taxis will drop you off at Bananarama, which is a two minute walk to Infinity Bay/Tabyana and great snorkling. We bought Bananarama's $30/pp Beach Break excursion which includes transportation, lounge chairs and a free drink. We have stayed there before. Thursty Turtle bar at Bananarama has pretty good beach bar grub.

Also, at the access road turning into Bananarama, you will see Celeste's Restaurant. The owners, Celeste and Milos, are really nice, friendly expats. You must try their Baleadas (google it). To die for.

The clock is ticking........Tuesday we will be back there (our 5th trip). Hopefully, the weather will cooperate for great snorkling, food and Monkey Lalas (google it)!

Have fun.

Baleadas are one of Honduras's most original and popular foods. A baleada is a wheat flour tortilla, often quite thick, folded in half and filled with mashed fried beans.

Baliadukis.jpg

the monkey lala (basilisk) is one of the Island’s most interesting dwellers. You can see them running like miniature dragons on two legs with their finlike crests expanded. Monkey lalas are often called "Jesus lizards" because these long-toed relatives of the iguanas can race across a water surface (actually hydroplaning) with their forelegs folded and the long tail lifted as a counterpoise, creating the appearance of walking on water!

basilisk.jpg

Mitsugirly--thanks for the info on BOB. I looked and the map on the Roatan Website and it "looks" far...lol...but we're not a lazy bunch. At least not most of the time! Can't wait to hear about your trip. 10 days. Woo-hoo!

Guest 2000--Bananaramama is a great idea even if we just get a couple $5 chairs, and those that want to snorkel closer to IB can walk over there. Lucky you to be able to visit so many times. Wishing you a great trip with wonderful weather. Thx again!

Good Morning,

A couple thoughts I had....

The boat congestion in the water at Bananarama can be a bit of a put off. One's view of the sea is broken up, some are dive boats, some are locals hawking snorkel tours, at least one is a par-sailing boat.

Often times I walk back in the water from snorkeling , I have to dodge boats, anchors and ropes for most of the distance between Infinity and Henry Morgan.

If ya go down the beach past Infinity's pier..there are no boats, course there is a blow up bounce thing and sometimes a guy with two wave runners, but for the most part you are not constantly looking to see if you are going to run into or be hit by a boat. It is part of the reason I snorkel down there... no boats to squish me.

If you are not going to go with the ships excursion and you are looking for a quite bit of beach with some calm sandy bottomed water...Have a look at Foster's..the added perk here is if you are going to eat at Bite on the Beach you are much closer. The down side is the walk down the beach to snorkel at Infinity, if in fact that is a down side... I kinda enjoy walking the beach.

While there may be plenty of taxi's dropping folks at Bananrama's road... it is not the only option one has. I think one needs to decide what is most important to them, are ya looking for quiet or are ya looking for the best snorkeling West Bay has to offer steps from your lounge chair.

Bananarama is a happening place but for me if feels claustrophobic between all the people and the boats in the water. It maybe there is less sand between the water and the buildings on that bit of beach as well.

I have little doubt what ever decide you will be happy with.

dmarie21 ~ Flexibility is a grand thing!!

mitsugirly ~ I think Goose was talking about the adult beverage Monkey LaLa. :)

By the by ~ I have never timed the walk from Infinity to Bite on the Beach..but as a guess it can't take more then 12 minutes. Walk past Foster's along the boardwalk at the seas edge and you will run right in to the place.

Mitsugirly--thanks for the info on BOB. I looked and the map on the Roatan Website and it "looks" far...lol...but we're not a lazy bunch. At least not most of the time! Can't wait to hear about your trip. 10 days. Woo-hoo!

Yea, looking at google maps, it "looks" far, but I've been assured that it really isn't and definitely within walking distance (since they say the beach is only a mile long)...so I guess we'll see. :) Woo knows, if we start snorkeling and it turns out anything like when we went to Sapphire Beach in St Thomas last year...we may not even have time to eat. :D We were so busy with the snorkeling and taking pictures that the thought of food didn't even cross our minds until our ride back to the ship. hehe

the monkey lala (basilisk) is one of the Island’s most interesting dwellers. You can see them running like miniature dragons on two legs with their finlike crests expanded. Monkey lalas are often called "Jesus lizards" because these long-toed relatives of the iguanas can race across a water surface (actually hydroplaning) with their forelegs folded and the long tail lifted as a counterpoise, creating the appearance of walking on water!

Mitsu.......you made my morning. Still laughing. I was actually referring to the Monkey Lala drink....not the Jesus lizard. Celeste's baleadas include fish, shrimp, chicken, or lobster (my favorite). Maybe she can include grilled Jesus lizard on a stick! Yum.....

basilisk.jpg

[/b]

Goosebgone--this msg was meant for you. I wasn't completely awake this morning...lol

Bananaramama is a great idea even if we just get a couple $5 chairs, and those that want to snorkel closer to IB can walk over there. Lucky you to be able to visit so many times. Wishing you a great trip with wonderful weather. Thx again!

Mitsu.......you made my morning. Still laughing. I was actually referring to the Monkey Lala drink....not the Jesus lizard. Celeste's baleadas include fish, shrimp, chicken, or lobster (my favorite). Maybe she can include grilled Jesus lizard on a stick! Yum.....

basilisk.jpg

[/b]

LOL, you said google it and that I did. I had a feeling that you were referring to a drink (by the sounds of it and you were talking about food and places to eat)....but when I googled, I couldn't find anything that referred to a drink. So...I thought well, hmmm, maybe when you are there and eating these little lizards are running around???? :D

Glad I could make your day. hehe ;) :p

Well, the bags are packed and we will be heading over to Port Canaveral tomorrow. Thanks to all the contributors to this informative thread. Hopefully, those who have never been to Roatan and it's spectacular reef learned enough to appreciate the beauty they will see when they get there.

We'll have a few baleadas, Monkee Lalas and Port Royal beers and may even try the grilled Jesus lizard on a stick! :)

I'll report back on the condition of the reef when we return.

Now, it's off to find Nemo......

Well, the bags are packed and we will be heading over to Port Canaveral tomorrow. Thanks to all the contributors to this informative thread. Hopefully, those who have never been to Roatan and it's spectacular reef learned enough to appreciate the beauty they will see when they get there.

We'll have a few baleadas, Monkee Lalas and Port Royal beers and may even try the grilled Jesus lizard on a stick! :)

I'll report back on the condition of the reef when we return.

Now, it's off to find Nemo......

I hope you have a wonderful trip and see a lot of creatures in the reef.

Let me know how the grilled Jesus lizard on a stick works out for you because I don't think I'll be trying one. ;) hehe

Gee everyone, thanks for all the info and photos. DEFINITELY helpful!! We'll be there come December, face down in the water and loving all the things we see.

For all the many folks who may read this and be new to snorkeling, PLEASE remember not to touch or stand on the reef. Some of our former favorite snorkel places throughout the Caribbean are now all but ruined due to crowds of newbies who have damaged the reef by not realizing reef is ALIVE. It's not just a bunch of rocks. Touching, kicking with fins or standing on it can do damage that takes YEARS to repair, and in some cases, it never is repaired. If you enjoy it and want to enjoy it again (or allow others who come after you to enjoy it), please do no harm. Thanks so much, and happy snorkeling!

Glad I found this thread. It has been very useful as I plan to visit Tabyana Beach for snorkelling in December.

As LuvSnorkeling said, be careful of the reef. Most live reef will be very pretty colours and shapes; the broken off grey/brown stuff has been destroyed.

Happy snorkelling and swimming everyone! :D