Should I Make the Switch?

Ok, so I have cruised several times. I took a break from it for several years and am starting back up and looking forward to it.

I have sailed with Carnival the last couple times and have my next one booked through Carnival.

I am already planning my next cruise and am debating between Carnival's new ship, Magic, or trying RCI.

RCI is appealing to me primarily for the activities...I like the idea of the rock climbing wall, ice rink, and surf ride (??).

But....Carnival does have the water slides, golf, and Magic added a rope climbing activity.

My biggest hang up is the price....I prefer a balcony and comparable cabins are running a few hundred dollars more on RCI.

So....my question is to you loyal RCI and especially if you have sailed both...is it worth the price difference? What do you like about RCI? Would you say the activities are better?

BTW, I have sailed NCL and Norwegian as well....in my opinion, service and food is subjective....I think one can have poor service on all lines and can have excellent food on all lines...so not really using those factors.

Thanks for your help!!:)

Ok, so I have cruised several times. I took a break from it for several years and am starting back up and looking forward to it.

I have sailed with Carnival the last couple times and have my next one booked through Carnival.

I am already planning my next cruise and am debating between Carnival's new ship, Magic, or trying RCI.

RCI is appealing to me primarily for the activities...I like the idea of the rock climbing wall, ice rink, and surf ride (??).

But....Carnival does have the water slides, golf, and Magic added a rope climbing activity.

My biggest hang up is the price....I prefer a balcony and comparable cabins are running a few hundred dollars more on RCI.

So....my question is to you loyal RCI and especially if you have sailed both...is it worth the price difference? What do you like about RCI? Would you say the activities are better?

BTW, I have sailed NCL and Norwegian as well....in my opinion, service and food is subjective....I think one can have poor service on all lines and can have excellent food on all lines...so not really using those factors.

I would try RCL, as you can see I have a few under my belt. As far as price, I think they are about the same. We alway go for the sale price, just keep looking.

You just answered your own question about the worth of the price difference.

Like food and service, value is also subjective. If money is a big factor, you will be hard pressed to find better deals than Carnival. nevertheless, I much prefer Royal over Carnival. I would happily select a lesser cabin on one of Royal's newer ships (love the flowrider, royal promenade and ice shows) vs a balcony on Carnival's best ships. If you were willing to try something different while cutting costs, you could select a promenade view cabin; you won't find those on other lines. Or watch for a sale. Or spring for the extra.

royal's balconies do tend to command a higher price. I think that in part is due to the loyalty program; mid to high level Crown and Anchor members get discounts on balcony (or better) cabins, raising demand for balcony cabins. it is great when you get there, not so nice on the way up.

If you take notice, I have been on so many carnival ships and notice that I been on RC and cruising on RC this sunday.....

1- Carnival has cut back the most drastic out of cruise lines

2- carnivals buffet breakfast contains extremely greasy bacon and sausage and runny eggs

3- carnivals buffet lunch I would have to say is composed of 80%-90% fast food type foods

4- carnivals entertainment is cheese, the juggler, the game show, just not quality shows, comedian shows are very good

5- carnivals rooms are a bit larger

6- carnivals pools are alot smaller and salt water

7- carnivals service overall is a hit or miss

8- carnivals mdr has new menu which includes meatloaf, beef stroganoff, fried chicken (they call it comfort foods I call it cheaper food lol)

9- carnival replaced its nightly steak with flat iron steak and took away sirloin/ny strip

1- rc has cut back a bit not much

2- rc buffet lunches have an abudent of hot food type choices consisting of beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. They offer a selection of vegetables, sides and has a much better salad bar

3- rc entertainment consist of production type shows

4- rc has the viking crown lounge that you can view 180 above the sea

5- rc cocktails cost less money than carnivals

6- rc balconies are a bit larger or sizeable larger depending upon stateroom category

7- rc newer ships have shower doors and not shower curtains

8- rc pools are much larger and fresh water

9- rc newer/larger ships have a larger more space in the childrens waterpark

10-rc service overall excellent

11-rc dining room serves you nightly sirloin or new york strip

Honestly, we won't be going back on carnival until carnival improves its quality. We are staying with RC and would go on Princess/Celebrity to.

I say definately royal caribbean

You don't give an actual number to the additional cost, but my opinion you get what you pay for. I would gladly spend 400 more on a cabin to get RC but if rc is over 500 then you have to think which cruise line is worth your money and your fun.

If you take notice, I have been on so many carnival ships and notice that I been on RC and cruising on RC this sunday.....

1- Carnival has cut back the most drastic out of cruise lines

2- carnivals buffet breakfast contains extremely greasy bacon and sausage and runny eggs

3- carnivals buffet lunch I would have to say is composed of 80%-90% fast food type foods

4- carnivals entertainment is cheese, the juggler, the game show, just not quality shows, comedian shows are very good

5- carnivals rooms are a bit larger

6- carnivals pools are alot smaller and salt water

7- carnivals service overall is a hit or miss

8- carnivals mdr has new menu which includes meatloaf, beef stroganoff, fried chicken (they call it comfort foods I call it cheaper food lol)

9- carnival replaced its nightly steak with flat iron steak and took away sirloin/ny strip

1- rc has cut back a bit not much

2- rc buffet lunches have an abudent of hot food type choices consisting of beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, etc. They offer a selection of vegetables, sides and has a much better salad bar

3- rc entertainment consist of production type shows

4- rc has the viking crown lounge that you can view 180 above the sea

5- rc cocktails cost less money than carnivals

6- rc balconies are a bit larger or sizeable larger depending upon stateroom category

7- rc newer ships have shower doors and not shower curtains

8- rc pools are much larger and fresh water

9- rc newer/larger ships have a larger more space in the childrens waterpark

10-rc service overall excellent

11-rc dining room serves you nightly sirloin or new york strip

Honestly, we won't be going back on carnival until carnival improves its quality. We are staying with RC and would go on Princess/Celebrity to.

I say definately royal caribbean

This is a great breakdown. The old saying that they are more alike than different has certainly changed since Carnival has cut back so much.

The Magic does look nice and has some good alternative dining options, so I wonder how it will compare to the rest of the fleet. It would be the only ship I would consider.

Archived