Upgrade Algorithm, any Idea How it Works?

oldsilverfox

As a welcome change from discussing how Cunard/Carnival is going to hell on a handcart, I wonder if CC members have any ideas on how the company operates its upgrade policy, and whether we could combine to solve out how it works.

I was talking to a Cunard official in Carnival house earlier this year and he mumbled something about guaranteed cabins being allocated by computer. I could believe this but it would be interesting to deduce the logic that it might use, e.g. World Club grade, member's previous spend etc.

On the other hand (and to pre-empt the thread being hijacked) it really could be done by one of Tinkerbell's friends.

Its all down to the upgrade fairy, and quite how he OR she works is any ones guess. Past history, loyality etc l believe counts for nothing, Im a Diamond level member of the World club and have encountered people on the same cruise who have paid less than l, booked later, and get upgraded, and some were even first time cruisers.

But its safe to say, Book what your happy with, and if you get upgraded, fine ! Just keep quiet, and if you dont get upgraded, just accept the fate and dont make a fuss.

Only once did l ever have an unofficial upgrade, and its probably best not mentioned on here as to why.

I firmly believe that they don't use it as a reward, except perhaps if you are celebrating a significant event. I think that the first timers are more likely to be visited than old sweats as they feel that they do not need to encourage our brand loyalty. A "normal" upgrade for me would be from a D8 guarantee to a D5 as an example, I am quite happy with that move but I wouldn't mind moving to a B grade.

HI oldsilverfox - It seems the moderator did not think so! My post showing the Cunard Upgrade formula has been removed.

But I cannot think of any reason why this should have happened - can anyone?

D

Are you able to repost the upgrade formula? Maybe a fresh post will be seen in a different light?

ooh a logic question! :D

Its probably a multi-part process;

identify unsold cabins

look at passengers in grade below & choose those that paid the most earliest (ie. without discounting & not the late bookers)

upgrade in order, until rooms are filled

Theres also bound to be some human intervention, for specific customers.

eg

im sure that travel agents can get themselves a discount, but the good ones probably get upgraded

cunard/carnival staff

customers who had problems on previous trips

Its all down to the upgrade fairy, and quite how he OR she works is any ones guess. Past history, loyality etc l believe counts for nothing, Im a Diamond level member of the World club and have encountered people on the same cruise who have paid less than l, booked later, and get upgraded, and some were even first time cruisers.

But its safe to say, Book what your happy with, and if you get upgraded, fine ! Just keep quiet, and if you dont get upgraded, just accept the fate and dont make a fuss.

Only once did l ever have an unofficial upgrade, and its probably best not mentioned on here as to why.

Myles, I agree completely. Maybe guarantees get upgraded more often, but even that isn't predictable. And you're right about booking with what you find acceptable. It isn't worth the savings to book a low category and hope for an upgrade if you'll be unhappy if/when the upgrade doesn't happen.

I also agree with Capnpugwash that upgrades seem to go to newbies in order to "hook" them on sailing with Cunard.

I do know that some of their "targeted mailings" go to people with one or two cruises on the line. A friend who is platinum on Cunard got her daughter and SIL to try QM2. After 2 short cruises on QM2, the young couple got a mailing with great prices on a couple of cruises. So they booked one of them. They wanted their mother to go, too, but Cunard wouldn't honor the price for her because the mailing was for "newer cruisers." Cunard would not extend the "newer cruisers" price to someone traveling with the "newer cruisers" in a second cabin. Fortunately, our great TA was able to twist some arms at Cunard, and the price was honored. But my friend felt like Cunard had no regard for loyalty. It was if they were saying, "You're old, retired, how many more bookings are we going to get out of you? Your kids are working and will have plenty of money to spend with us for years and years."

I am sailing on the 29th August, Q5 cabin. The next cabin levels up were considerably more expensive. We are first timers with Cunard. Can I assume that there won't be an opportunty for a last minute discounted cash upgrade either in the coming few days or at check-in?

One of the major factors considered when assigning upgrades is the price paid for the original booking. The more you paid, the better the chance for the upgrade.

Based on my own experience I highly disagree with this one. Because of work commitments I generally book well in advance, usually a year before for longer voyages and therefore pay top whack. Plus a single supplement. I am a Diamond member. Prior to today I have had only one upgrade in 15 years - my second ever trip. I regularly talk to people who have paid very discounted rates and received an upgrade. I do think newbies are targeted. I get the impression those who complain vociferously are also rewarded.

We have been on five cruises and have been upgraded for two of those. These reflect previous comments. On our first cruise we were upgraded from an inside cabin to one with a porthole (on QE2). On our recent cruise to Scandanavia for which we booked a D4 guarantee back last October we received an upgrade to a D1 a week before we travelled and the following day received an upgrade to a B3. The prices for this cruise dropped quite and I suspect this maybe a factor in our upgrade.

We have probably had our share of the upgrade fairy, but you never know!

Patsy

:):):)

Well, there you go; I'd expect that booking a guarantee increases your odds of an upgrade more than anything that you could otherwise control. They have to put the guarantees somewhere but if you book with a room assignment they have to overtly decide to displace you.

On QM2 in 2009 and 2010 I was upgraded after starting both times with a

specific cabin booked.

First from sheltered balcony to another sheltered a deck higher, and the next time from sheltered to glass 6 decks higher, the often discussed

Deck 11 location that one is never quite sure just how much of an "improvement" it really is, being very distant from most restaurants and public rooms.

We are on our 3rd Cunard cruise booked 10 weeks before at a discounted price from original fares direct with Cunard We got upgrade from Q7 to Q3

We have never been upgraded before. When we did our last cruise it was our Silver Wedding Annv and everyone said we would prob get upgraded even Cunard themselves but the cruise was full and we didnt receive upgrade

This perhaps might give a small insight...

http://www.pocruises.com/Career.aspx?cid=1250

It makes for interesting reading none the less.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the job description furnished. I don't know where, but I do remember hearing from someone in a position of authority that there is a firm element of inventory control and other fixed formulaic matters that are used to make upgrades and that it is fairly straight forward. I also know, however, from my own experience that the relationship that you and your TA has with Cunard can also play a role and this does not necessarily require loud complaints. My bottom line is that while the upgrade fairy may have some role to play, she/he is, I think, generally assisted by a fixed formula largely driven by ship's inventory.

This perhaps might give a small insight...

http://www.pocruises.com/Career.aspx?cid=1250

It makes for interesting reading none the less.

Your link takes me to an employment application for P&O Lines. Are you suggesting I get employed by a cruise company in order to find out the upgrade secrets? I would but I don't think any company would want a worn out, moody, 72 year old who drinks too much.

Your link takes me to an employment application for P&O Lines. Are you suggesting I get employed by a cruise company in order to find out the upgrade secrets? I would but I don't think any company would want a worn out, moody, 72 year old who drinks too much.

You sound like the perfect employee!

Archived