Why Upgrade to a Higher Deck?

Chucksta63

Have you ever had one? Are they Larger? Balcony Bigger?

We booked one for our 10/06 cruise... Had a bunch of friends that had the back row of AFT's on the Miracle... it was great, all of the dividers were opened up and it was wonderful! I couldn't get a sense of if they were bigger, but they seemed just a little bigger than my ext. balcony... Since it is the same cost as the regular balcony, we have gone ahead and started filling up the row on the Conquest!!!! Although I don't think the dividers open like they did on the Miracle :(

That's why I was afraid it was a stupid question. ;) Actually, I just looked at some pictures of the Carnival Legend, and because of the way the back of the ship looks "tiered", you may even be able to get more sun on one of the aft balconies than you would on the side of the ship. I am definitely interested in booking one of those for our anniversary cruise next year.

we were also upgraded from a cat 8A to a Cat 8E, picked the Panorama deck on the Valor. Cabin 1030, anyone ever have that one?

I was thinking it was close to the pool, a quick elevator ride to the kid's club, which is just two decks above us. I hope I made the right decision.

Cheryl in Fort Myers ºOº

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Cheryl,

I just read your post and thought I'd respond...we, too, will be sailing on the Valor (leaving 7/17 and will be in cabin #1027) This will be our 4th cruise on Carnival. We have ALWAYS booked Balcony rooms, and prefer BOW/STARBOARD. We enjoy the "thrill" of the ride...and it is our opinion that the BOW (front) of the ship gives you a little more of the "up & down" ride upon the waves. I think the upper decks are better also, as we enjoy a lot of time out on the balcony (in the sun - the pool decks sometimes get crowded VERY early!) ...also, because they are a little less traveled (by shoppers, etc)

I'm sure you'll have a great time, I know we always do!

. We enjoy the "thrill" of the ride...and it is our opinion that the BOW (front) of the ship gives you a little more of the "up & down" ride upon the waves. I think the upper decks are better also, as we enjoy a lot of time out on the balcony (in the sun - the pool decks sometimes get crowded VERY early!) ...also, because they are a little less traveled (by shoppers, etc)

I'm sure you'll have a great time, I know we always do!

Thanks Kim. Not sure I like thrill rides while cruising <G>. I suppose I will hope for calm seas now. So, you'll be out there the cruise before us. You'll ahve to email me as to how it was. I'm probably buying some computer time. Thanks for the info.

One reason is not everyone can have the cheap seats as there is not that many. Usually they are the inside cabins on the bottom deck. Any more that you pay than that rate is pure profit for the ship line since a room is a room in many respects. Oh sure the suites are nice but really do you spend that much time in them? They ship does not spend anymore money if you are in a suite or a bottom deck inside. So IMO if you upgrade it's because you got more money than you know what to do with.

So IMO if you upgrade it's because you got more money than you know what to do with.

umm not so sure that is always the reason. I for one, could never book an inside room or an oceanview cabin. I need to be able to walk outside and get air. I do enjoy being on my balcony away from people, so we do spend some time in our cabin.

I think the extra space of a suite would be really nice sometime when I have that extra money, they are also more luxurious and have other ammenities.

They ship does not spend anymore money if you are in a suite or a bottom deck inside.

Not entirely true. You won't consume any more food, and arguably the cabin steward could handle about the same number of cabins (though I doubt this is the case). However, the fact is that a suite may be 4 or 5 (or 15) times as large as a normal cabin. If you divide up the initial $400 million cost of the ship based on square footage as you would when buying a house, these cabins cost much more. On an ongoing basis, the comapny could have put in and booked another X number of cabins in place of that suite. So effectively, the suite costs the company much more each week simply based on it's size. You might not think of it that way, but I guarantee the lines do some serious math like this every time they order a ship. And if they weren't getting the fares to justify them, I bet they retrofit some suites into multiple smaller cabins.

So IMO if you upgrade it's because you got more money than you know what to do with.

Have you ever bought a burrito supreme at Taco Bell? It's all the same thing: people choose to spend money on what they believe will give them the most pleasure for the dollar. Heck, if you even eat at any restaurants, you must have more money than you know what to do with right? :D

• 2 years later...
We always book the lowest price possible. That way we can cruise more often AND we get exercise from all the stair climbing. NO, we don't use elevators to get from deck to deck. I agree that you have less tendency to seasickness lower in the ship also. It doesn't matter where you sleep, all passengers have equal access to everything.

Cathy

I agree totally. We always book the cheapest room and get to cruise every year. We also take the stairs. I have never experienced elevators that are slower than on a cruise ship. Most times you can get to where you're going and back by stairs before the elevator comes LOL.

After just cruising I definitely don't believe the whole "the lower you are the less motion":rolleyes:

We were rocking like the Poseiden on the way to Grand Cayman. I know the ship kicks into high gear at night but even during the day we felt motion on every deck. And I never got sick. So next cruise we might move up.

What ever deck has the most well behaved kids with parents who teach them not to run through the halls screaming a 3 in the morning....let ME know:eek:

[quote name='Chucksta63']Why does everyone want the top of the ship or a higher deck?:confused: Just courious, up-grades take you eather up a deck or to a better catagory, Why Up? I like it up there but not even sure why? I booked a gty balcony but a couple of months later there was a special for $100 for 1st and 2nd person ($200 total), did not have to pay anything for the 3rd person though, and it moved us to the Panorama deck. Thats 5 decks! I did it, not sure why. I was already in a balcony but I bet I like it up there!:) I tryed to re-book this weekend for that deck and it would be more that $600 total for that level now for us!:eek: Glad I booked a year ago. Would like to hear why you like to get up there?:) Thanks for the input![/quote]

Well, it costs more, doesn't it? That means that either a)Carnival or b)the other passengers or c)both think it's more valuable, so there must be _something_ better about it, right?

I think it's a combination of the view being better and the closer proximity to more of the "action;" buffet, pool, gym, outdoor decks, etc.

This is all nice, but for me the best cabin is the one that's........on a cruise ship!:D

Dave

Archived