Driving to NJ

maggie1968

Have those. Coming from Central Maine, just outside of Waterville

I've been reading through your posts...we're planning on driving from the Bangor area to Cape Liberty for a Jan 29, 2012 cruise. The weather is always scary at that time of year, so we'll need to be super flexible, and maybe head down earlier than planned if there's a snowstorm brewing!

Jane

Here's another version that will give you lane suggestions and exit numbers rather than miles. These are the directions to the port. Instead of getting off at exit 14-14A-14B-14C you would continue on to the next exit 13A for the hotel.

Take I95 to Milford CT and cut over to the Merritt Parkway at exit 38. Then do the following:

The Merritt Parkway becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge (left side 2 lane exit - get in the right lane of the 2 lane exit). On the GW Bridge get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. Follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14a in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Coming back you follow the directions in reverse. On the GW Bridge you get in the far right lane if you're on the upper bridge and the far left lane on the lower bridge. The Henry Hudson Parkway is the very first exit at the end of the bridge. The Cross County Parkway is exit 4 and it can sneak up on you. On the Cross County get in the left lane to take the Hutch north.

When we drive down to visit family in NJ, we take 84 to 684 and go across the Tappan Zee Bridge, then take 9W to the Palisades etc. Nicer than the GW Bridge route.

Jane

It's a nice route, but it's much longer. I've done I84 a number of times and I don't like it because west of Hartford it's two lanes with trucks. I'm also not a big fan of the Tappan Zee. For me the cars only route through NYC has worked well over many years. What I really want to do is to discourage folks in cars from taking I95 through NYC.

If you're driving down in the winter you have to be flexible. I always go down from Mass at least one day ahead. There are plenty of places to stay in Newark and Secaucus.

It's a nice route, but it's much longer. I've done I84 a number of times and I don't like it because west of Hartford it's two lanes with trucks. I'm also not a big fan of the Tappan Zee. For me the cars only route through NYC has worked well over many years. What I really want to do is to discourage folks in cars from taking I95 through NYC.

If you're driving down in the winter you have to be flexible. I always go down from Mass at least one day ahead. There are plenty of places to stay in Newark and Secaucus.

True. And I'm not a big fan of either bridge! We usually go that way when we're headed to my sister's house in Demarest, NJ. I also sometimes stay on 84 through to the Beacon Newburgh Bridge, when I'm headed to my brother's house. When my mom lived in Brooklyn, we'd take the Hutch, etc down to the Bronx Whitestone bridge, and head into Brooklyn from the Belt. Since moving out of that area up to Maine (in 1981), I hate driving down there! I'm headed to Demarest on the 18th....got to get into NY/NJ driving mode!:(

Archived