Half Moon Cay

Not really sure of the 100% accuracy of the following, but this is what Wikipedia says about Half Moon Cay (I am Underlining the ownership part)

<snip>

I really don't know much about Wikipedia but I've wondered for some time if, given the way it operates, everything we read there is absolutely accurate? Can one 'take it to the bank' just because Wikipedia says it is so?

Drat..... I hate this font but can't get rid of it to go back to my usual.

Castaway Cay, Disney's private island, has a dock. It does not diminish the appearance or experience of the island one bit, IMO. It is SO nice to just walk off the ship and back on.

I agree, Jim.

I don't think having a dock for the ships would detract from the beauty of HMC though I do admit to loving the view of the ships at anchor when sitting on a bar stool at "I wish I Could Stay Here Forver"........

It is always disappointing to miss the island on a beautiful day because we can't tender. I wonder though if it would be difficult docking on such a day......

[/size][/font][/b]

I really don't know much about Wikipedia but I've wondered for some time if, given the way it operates, everything we read there is absolutely accurate? Can one 'take it to the bank' just because Wikipedia says it is so?

Drat..... I hate this font but can't get rid of it to go back to my usual.

Here is an article with HAL as the source as many people do not trust Wikipedia and their information:

http://www.advfn.com/news_Holland-America-Line-Marks-10th-Anniversary-of-Award-Winning-Half-Moon-Cay-Priva_23198797.html

While I will refer to Wikipedia from time to time for some quick info, it is definitely NOT reliable at all and I would never count on the accuracy of the information found there.

Virtually anyone can change information there. There are attempts to keep it accurate by some, but others love to fiddle with it.

It's been several years since someone from HAL told us the reason behind the powder soft sand at HMC. Since then I've just preferred to think of it as 'transformed coral' and I'm sticking with that thought. :D

I Like Transformed Coral better than Fish Poop:D:D:D

Joanie

Please do not take this as being mean but it irks me when people try to state the wrong date about when Carnival bought out HAL. Carnival has owned HAL since 1989 so when you would have been there in 1995 CCL already owned HAL and Half Moon Cay.

For accurate proof please see this web link. You will need to click on the Company Profile page on the left side.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/about-best-cruise-lines/Main.action?tabName=Sustainability

I am so sorry that I "irked" you. As a teacher, I should have known that someone here would certainly flame me should I have presented an incorrect date in my posting. I should have qualified my statement with the comment, that HMC was represented as HAL's "private island" when I sailed on the old Noordam in 1995. I searched my CCL stock certificates this morning, and couldn't find any reference to the specific date the Corporation assumed ownership of Little San Salvador Island. I am very sorry for the error.:rolleyes:

I Like Transformed Coral better than Fish Poop:D:D:D

Joanie

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

It is all part of our biosphere! Every molecule of food and drink we ingest has already been through some digestive system somewhere during the history of life on planet earth.

We don't own Half Moon Cay. I have no need to own it. I don't care who owns it. All I want to do is walk along the beach for a little while. It would be nice, but not necessary to have someone along to hold my hand while doing so.

We fell in love with this island the first time we visited it, and we have been back maybe a dozen times since. I hope that it is ready for our Thanksgiving cruise with two scheduled stops there. We trust that Carnival Inc. will do what is necessary to perserve this treasure for all generations to come. It remains our favorite port of call.

It is all part of our biosphere! Every molecule of food and drink we ingest has already been through some digestive system somewhere during the history of life on planet earth.

We don't own Half Moon Cay. I have no need to own it. I don't care who owns it. All I want to do is walk along the beach for a little while. It would be nice, but not necessary to have someone along to hold my hand while doing so.

We fell in love with this island the first time we visited it, and we have been back maybe a dozen times since. I hope that it is ready for our Thanksgiving cruise with two scheduled stops there. We trust that Carnival Inc. will do what is necessary to perserve this treasure for all generations to come. It remains our favorite port of call.

That was a delightful post!

Thank you.

I don't care what that fabulous beach is made of. It sure beats the winter slush on the pavement of Toronto. HMC is my favourite Caribbean island. I really could stay there forever.

I am so sorry that I "irked" you. As a teacher, I should have known that someone here would certainly flame me should I have presented an incorrect date in my posting. I should have qualified my statement with the comment, that HMC was represented as HAL's "private island" when I sailed on the old Noordam in 1995. I searched my CCL stock certificates this morning, and couldn't find any reference to the specific date the Corporation assumed ownership of Little San Salvador Island. I am very sorry for the error.:rolleyes:

One post/correction does not a flame make. ;)

I was just thinking about posting something similar. That beautiful, clear water at HMC... guess what the fish do in it?! :eek: :D

Just got this off of John Heald's Blog:

"Here is a note from Matthew who is a Vice president at Holland America and responsible for Half Moon Cay's brilliant success " John, I see lots of posting's about concern for the horses. I am on the island and I can tell you that all 47 horses are in great condition, no injuries to any of them. ( Not even a scratch) Regards, Matthew

Great news Matthew and thank you for telling us. We all wish you and beautiful HMC well."

Joanie

"Here is a note from Matthew who is a Vice president at Holland America and responsible for Half Moon Cay's brilliant success " John, I see lots of posting's about concern for the horses. I am on the island and I can tell you that all 47 horses are in great condition, no injuries to any of them. ( Not even a scratch) Regards, Matthew Great news Matthew and thank you for telling us. We all wish you and beautiful HMC well."

Joanie

Good news. Now how is the parrot poop sand doing? :D

I was just thinking about posting something similar. That beautiful, clear water at HMC... guess what the fish do in it?! :eek: :D
Yep. ;) My next cruise is with a microbiologist friend. We have a stop at HMC. She won't go swimming in salt water as she won't swim with "whale poo". But as BumperII said, it's everywhere. :D I've never told her why the sand is so soft at HMC (I've been there with her before), but since she lurks here the secret my be out. She could well be staying on the ship while there this next time.

Yep. ;) My next cruise is with a microbiologist friend. We have a stop at HMC. She won't go swimming in salt water as she won't swim with "whale poo". But as BumperII said, it's everywhere. :D I've never told her why the sand is so soft at HMC (I've been there with her before), but since she lurks here the secret my be out. She could well be staying on the ship while there this next time.

Does she swim in fresh water lakes? Or public swimming pools? Or (OMG :eek: ) use public hot tubs? If she's trying to avoid things that she considers "noxious", I would LOVE to see her list of acceptable activities :D

Does she swim in fresh water lakes? Or public swimming pools? Or (OMG :eek: ) use public hot tubs? If she's trying to avoid things that she considers "noxious", I would LOVE to see her list of acceptable activities :D
Nope, she doesn't do any of those. But when gets paid to "play with poo" for a living as she does, I imagine one looks at things differently. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :cool: Look at how many here took the news about the soft sand. HMC won't be the same for some.

Yes, but at least where the sea is concerned there are little microcosms (my word;)) that eat all that up, absorb it and turn it into the clear blue waters that we swim in:D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Yes, but at least where the sea is concerned there are little microcosms (my word;)) that eat all that up, absorb it and turn it into the clear blue waters that we swim in:D

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Oh, and a cocktail or two helps with the delusion, I mean allusion. :D

"Here is a note from Matthew who is a Vice president at Holland America and responsible for Half Moon Cay's brilliant success " John, I see lots of posting's about concern for the horses. I am on the island and I can tell you that all 47 horses are in great condition, no injuries to any of them. ( Not even a scratch) Regards, Matthew

Great news Matthew and thank you for telling us. We all wish you and beautiful HMC well."

Joanie

This is certainly good news. I just hope the Island is in good shape. I hope the damage is minimal if at all.

Castaway Cay, Disney's private island, has a dock. It does not diminish the appearance or experience of the island one bit, IMO.

Keep wishing, but I am of the opinion this will never happen at HMC. HAL/CCL invested in the construction of the two tenders. Were they to spend money on construction of a pier. What would happen to the two tenders? Scrap metal? Sell them to someone and take a significant loss?

I'm with HAL/CCL on this one, keep it the way it is.

If they wanted a pier that would have happened years ago when they made the tender decision.

Archived