TIPS & Things To DO FROM A KEY WEST LOCAL

KeyWestLocal

• 3 weeks later...

As a part-time (soon to be full time) Key West resident, some other places on Duval of note include The Rum Bar, 951 Bistro Wine Bar, and, of course, La-Te-Da. You WILL meet interesting people. Perhaps even the lady who sells pasties and will demonstrate them and/or help the ladies try them on.

Always a good time.

My 16 yo daughter and I are in key west March 4th. We are in port from 8-5 and want to do the jet ski island tour which would be from 10-12. Afterwards, she wants to walk around and see the Southernmost Point, Hemmingway house, Duval St., Kermit's, etc. I was just wondering if we had time for both or if we'd be too tired. We are both very active people.

Which jet ski tour did you look at? Hydro Thunder, which is right at the end of Duval Street lists a 2 hour tour and they say they open at 9:00. If this means they run an earlier tour, it would be better.

http://www.hydrothunderofkeywest.com/

Anyway, assuming you wer done at 12:00 and even with an hour to get back to the boat and change if necessary, you'd still have enough time to make a loop up Whitehead for the Hemingway house and the Southernmost Point, then back down Duval and over to Kermit's. You could probably fit in a quick lunch in 3 and 1/2 hours, then back to the boat.

Pjk

Which jet ski tour did you look at? Hydro Thunder, which is right at the end of Duval Street lists a 2 hour tour and they say they open at 9:00. If this means they run an earlier tour, it would be better.

http://www.hydrothunderofkeywest.com/

Anyway, assuming you wer done at 12:00 and even with an hour to get back to the boat and change if necessary, you'd still have enough time to make a loop up Whitehead for the Hemingway house and the Southernmost Point, then back down Duval and over to Kermit's. You could probably fit in a quick lunch in 3 and 1/2 hours, then back to the boat.

Pjk

Thank you so much! I think we were gonna book through bestonkeywest because it is the cheapest so I think thats the far away one but I don't know for sure. But thanks, I'm glad!:o

• 3 weeks later...

I cant wait to visit my home away from home again in a couple of weeks. My day will start at the Southernmost Cafe as they have the BEST shrimp/crab omlette. From there we will bar hop back down Duvall and end up with my buddy Jay Graham at the White Tarpon before headed back to the ship.

KW, here we come! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Need reasonably priced hotel/bed and breakfast in the Old Town area so that we can walk everywhere. We are visiting for 2 days after our cruise. Any suggestions? Thanks

We haven't been to Key west yet but just booked Center Court B&B. The properties are all over town so it depends on what you want. We will be in a small room with a full kitchen and a grill out side for 128 a night. Could of gone 10$ less but this one unit has parking. Very few do. We are right in the middle of everything.

Joni

For dinner, I suggest Barracuda Grill in Marathon and Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key. Barracuda is great and won't break the bank and Square Grouper is more expensive, but excellent. The Wharf on Summerland Key is also pretty good.

For a short cruise out of Miami, I suggest the Majesty of the Seas. You'll love Coco Cay and the crew on board is one of the best in cruising.

You all made everything sound like such fun we decided to rent a place for 3 nights in town. Then we can do the pub crawl without having to worry about driving an hour back. Now we just need a place that will store our camper for three days. We will be there from Saturday untill Tuesday morning. Dinner each night will have to be happy hours. Any suggestions for a late night burger?

Thanks, Joni

We will be in Key West in March, arriving on the Carnival Valor. We have 2 boys, 15 and 16. They will not be interested in city tours, museums, restaurants or shopping.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to how we can keep them busy for the day? My youngest son would love to see dolphins. There are some tours that advertise dolphin sightings. Are they "hit and miss", or are you likely to see dolphins?

All of us are great swimmers. We have parasailed in the past, and have been snorkelling, but in a less than ideal location.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or recommendations :)

You might try Lloyd's Bike Tour ---> http://lloydstropicalbiketour.com/ (but not everyone appreciates Lloyd's particular sense of humor)

Or Stand-up Paddleboarding ---> http://supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html (Everyone appreciates Megen's)

Pjk

Peter,

I see you mentioned Lloyd's bike tour, but are you familiar with Key Lime Bike Tours at all?

The Shore Excursion through RCI gives the same description as what is listed on their website, and pictures show the Key Lime Green colour on the bikes. It is referred to as the "Key Lime Parrothead Bike Tour". It looks like great fun for my 12 year old son, hubby and I.

Any information is appreciated!

Thank you,

Jill

My mom and I will be on the HAL Ryndam docking in Mallory Square. We want to visit the Hemingway house. Although it's walkable for me, my mom is 80 and I don't think she can do the walk. Are cabs readily available at Mallory Square or should we do the hop on/hop off tram for transportation?

Thanks.

Key Lime Inn - Very Close to Duval Street -- Old Town On Truman

Tropical Inn - ON Duval Street -

Albury Court - Old Town Close to the Harbor -

Simonton Court - On Simonton, one block over from Duval

Check the websites for information and prices

I've only stayed at the Key Lime Inn, but have seen the others and they are very Key West-like.

You might try Lloyd's Bike Tour ---> http://lloydstropicalbiketour.com/ (but not everyone appreciates Lloyd's particular sense of humor)

Or Stand-up Paddleboarding ---> http://supkeywest.com/SUP_Key_West/Home.html (Everyone appreciates Megen's)

Pjk

Thanks Peter.

Do you have any information regarding the dolphin sighting trips?

Dolphin sighting tours seem to be very popular but the one I did with the now-defunct Sunny Days wasn't very interesting to me. The first thing to realize is that all of them include a snorkel stop so if your time is limited or you don't want to snorkel, you should be aware of this.

I would imagine that the trips are very similar. They leave Key West and head for what is called the dolphin playground, an area where they are most likely to spot dolphins. They will cruise around for a while keeping watch but also have the radio tuned in to other boats which are in different areas. If one of these spots dolphins you will cruise over there to see them. With several boats in various areas, you are probably going to see at least a few dolphins, but whether they will approach the boat or jump or do anything is anyone's guess. And to the extent that it takes a lot of time to find dolphins, you will have that much less time to snorkel.

I don't really have a suggestion for a particular company but they ranger from trips on a pwernboat to something like the Echo II, a smallish (6 people) catamaran.There is an overview of the various trips here...

http://www.keywest.com/dolphins.html

Again, I didn't care for the trip and if I went again it would be on a smaller boat which included more time for snorleking, but most of the comments about dolphin trips are very positive.

hth

Pjk

Dolphin sighting tours seem to be very popular but the one I did with the now-defunct Sunny Days wasn't very interesting to me. The first thing to realize is that all of them include a snorkel stop so if your time is limited or you don't want to snorkel, you should be aware of this.

I would imagine that the trips are very similar. They leave Key West and head for what is called the dolphin playground, an area where they are most likely to spot dolphins. They will cruise around for a while keeping watch but also have the radio tuned in to other boats which are in different areas. If one of these spots dolphins you will cruise over there to see them. With several boats in various areas, you are probably going to see at least a few dolphins, but whether they will approach the boat or jump or do anything is anyone's guess. And to the extent that it takes a lot of time to find dolphins, you will have that much less time to snorkel.

I don't really have a suggestion for a particular company but they ranger from trips on a pwernboat to something like the Echo II, a smallish (6 people) catamaran.There is an overview of the various trips here...

http://www.keywest.com/dolphins.html

Again, I didn't care for the trip and if I went again it would be on a smaller boat which included more time for snorleking, but most of the comments about dolphin trips are very positive.

hth

Pjk

yes it does, thank you again:)

Archived