TIPS & Things To DO FROM A KEY WEST LOCAL

KeyWestLocal

Here are photos taiken from the ship. According to the cruise ship calender, you will be at Pier B, which is this one. It's a very short pier (more of a wharf than a pier).

2135189690080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

2927569790080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks so much, Paul. That helps to put my mind at ease. I'm sure my husband can handle this walk with no problem. Looking forward to our visit to Key West ! Of course, it will include some pie tasting ! It looks like a fun port to visit.

I have a question for anyone that lives local. I will be there for 3 days in March before a cruise out of Miami. Is there a local "groupon" or something similar to subscribe to for good deals? There will be four of us, so I thought even one coupon for a 2 for 1 meal would be a great deal. Thanks for starting this thread KeyWestLocal!

I have a question for anyone that lives local. I will be there for 3 days in March before a cruise out of Miami. Is there a local "groupon" or something similar to subscribe to for good deals? There will be four of us, so I thought even one coupon for a 2 for 1 meal would be a great deal. Thanks for starting this thread KeyWestLocal!

There are a couple of places that advertise a free bottle of wine with dinner, but I think the best places for deals is Alonzo's Oyster Bra at the Key West Bight. From 4:30 - 6:30 all of the drinks and apps (except oysters on the half shell) are half priced. Four people can sit on the veranda and everyone order something and share. They have three types of peel-your-own shrimp, a bucket of steamers, cooked oyster dishes, calamari, fries, etc. The Boathouse next door has the same deal but with different items - lobster tempura, a beef app, etc.

Pjk

Aquahound, thanks for the info. I was also able to find some info on the city bus. Is this very reliable. Will check with the hotel for special rates on the trolley, Just kinda expensive if we take it as a "taxi"

The city bus is a great idea. It is very safe and we use it all the time. In fact it brings my son home from school every day. It is much faster transportation than the trolley.

There are a couple of places that advertise a free bottle of wine with dinner, but I think the best places for deals is Alonzo's Oyster Bra at the Key West Bight. From 4:30 - 6:30 all of the drinks and apps (except oysters on the half shell) are half priced. Four people can sit on the veranda and everyone order something and share. They have three types of peel-your-own shrimp, a bucket of steamers, cooked oyster dishes, calamari, fries, etc. The Boathouse next door has the same deal but with different items - lobster tempura, a beef app, etc.

Pjk

I agree- THESE ARE THE BEST BEST BEST places and deals in Key West. Be sure to get there early though...table fill up by 5! When we go, we try to get there by 4:25. Food is outstanding at Alonzos! Actually some of the oysters are half price- my favorite are the KEY LIME OYSTERS! YUM! We also love the buffalo shrimp, the potato pancake, beer shrimp, mussels maranara and they make the best MOHITOS!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the boathouse I like the special bread they make, bruchetta, calamari, filet

and coconut shrimp!

What do you think about Dec. weather? We will be there Dec 19th and I was thinking about snorkeling but I like very warm water. Thanks for the info.

The water temperature in December will be about 70- 74. For me, maybe because I am spoiled, I do not swim Dec- April. But most visitors do. I am just spoiled and do not swim unless the temp is above 80. My husband snorkels all year long, but he wears a skinsuit or wetsuit in the winter.

HOWEVER- to put the temperature in perspective.... the Jersey shore and Maryland Beaches normally get as high at 74ish in the summer. So really it is all up to what you are use to. I think you should go for it- The water is so blue and beauitful and the fish and reef's are beautiful!:)

For dinner, I suggest Barracuda Grill in Marathon and Square Grouper on Cudjoe Key. Barracuda is great and won't break the bank and Square Grouper is more expensive, but excellent. The Wharf on Summerland Key is also pretty good.

For a short cruise out of Miami, I suggest the Majesty of the Seas. You'll love Coco Cay and the crew on board is one of the best in cruising.

Square grouper is the BEST!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm like you, I like the water also in the 80s. But for some reason when we are in the Caribbean or even Florida, water in the 70s sometimes feels ok for me once I get used to it. No one in my cruise group wants to snorkel, but I think I'll just take my suit and towel with me off the ship and just go in the water on the beach while they sit and have drinks.

Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I snorkeled out of Key West with Fury. Since I have snorkeled a bunch of other times and I always remember Key West being better. At least back then. There were an abundance of different and colorful fish, nice reefs, water was shallow in areas and 20 feet deep in other areas. Do you know if the snorkeling is still good like this and would you recommend Fury or another company?

Maybe 10 or 15 years ago I snorkeled out of Key West with Fury. Since I have snorkeled a bunch of other times and I always remember Key West being better. At least back then. There were an abundance of different and colorful fish, nice reefs, water was shallow in areas and 20 feet deep in other areas. Do you know if the snorkeling is still good like this and would you recommend Fury or another company?

We used Fury this past April and loved it!

beverland: one of my favorites is Kelly's. 4-7PM I think draft beers are $2 and an order of chicken wings (good ones!) are $4.

Half shell raw bar has really cheap drinks for happy hour and I think they have good food specials, too.

Alonzo's has all apps 1/2 price. Not sure about drink prices. (I never go, as I can't eat shellfish)

Most of the bars have some sort of specials. I think salsa loca also has a good one... behind Cowboy Bill's. I've been meaning to try it...

Weird name. What is it actually?

They anchor a life preserver just off the sunset pier at the Ocean Key Resort, 0 Duval street, then tie a rope to a frozen turkey. People take turns trying to heave the bird through the life preserver. The winner doesn't get the bird but some other prize, and afterwards they cook it up and prepare a Thanksgiving dinner for the homeless. Kids especially get a big kick out of throwing a frozen turkey off the pier.

Pjk

We are going to be getting married while in port in March and are planning on following the beach ceremony with an informal "pub crawl" down Duval street. We will be with a small group of about 10 people, but 1 will only be 17 and another will be a 7 month old infant. Having never been to Key West before, we could really use some suggestions as to which places to hit that would give everyone the quintessential Duval experience but still be family friendly, and in what order as our time will be somewhat limited. Also, our current plan is to start off at Margaritaville for lunch, but mainly only bc we've been to one before and know what to expect. So, if any of you have any better suggestions of a good starting place to have lunch and cake before we start "crawling" we'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna be in KW from early till 1pm...........to early for bars,for us......just wondering if there are any good breakfast places?? Have been to KW many times,so sightseeing is not on the list this time..

Gonna be in KW from early till 1pm...........to early for bars,for us......just wondering if there are any good breakfast places?? Have been to KW many times,so sightseeing is not on the list this time..

Kathy, my 2 breakfast recommendations are Pepes or Blue Heaven. Pepe's has great specials and if they have their breakfast burrito, I highly recommend it. Blue Heaven has excellent pancakes.

Kathy, my 2 breakfast recommendations are Pepes or Blue Heaven. Pepe's has great specials and if they have their breakfast burrito, I highly recommend it. Blue Heaven has excellent pancakes.

Thanks Paul.........if you could only go to one,which one?? I trust your judgment..:)

Archived