Is the Gem still in Bermuda?

rikatine

Someone just posted on our roll call that the Gem is not leaving Bermuda early. here is the link to our roll call, the post is at the bottom.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30330110#post30330110

I'm trying to check the site deeper, IT still shows the ship in Bermuda, and the site is usually very up todate, Celiberty is not comming back until Monday, these 2 ships always follow each other..

I see NCL still has NOT posted anything new...

I follow the GEM Cruise director on FB he posted 4 hours ago that the Gem left Bermuada today to avoid Irene.. Trying to out run the storm and make it safely back to NYC

Can you tell me what his page on facebook is? Is Sinan the CD on Gem?

Thanks,

Marilyn

Sinan was on the Gem on 8/7. I believe that he is still there.

Yes he is on the ship Until Oct 2nd than vacation and back again until March 2012

I just can't believe this ship would leave bermuda, to come to NY with this storm being over 400 miles wide. They would have to get in and out of port Saturday and that would be pushing it, I don't understand why NCL hasn't posted any thing yet, When there moving Airplanes OUT of the airports to safer grounds, and Sat morning telling over 3 million people to leave their homes in area's of NY's water ways.

I've been thinking the same thing re: Gem debarking passengers and then doing a turnaround on Saturday. What about passengers flying in (or not). If Irene comes up the Hudson it won't be pretty for the piers and NYC. Hopefully this hurricane will diminish as it progresses North.

Copied from NCL.com:

Norwegian Gem arrived in Bermuda this morning (8/24). The ship will leave Thursday at 6:00 pm, a day earlier than planned, to avoid the path of the storm. Norwegian Gem will arrive in New York on Sunday, August 28 as scheduled.

At this time, we have not made any changes to itineraries for cruises departing this Friday, Saturday or Sunday. We will advise if there is any impact to these itineraries as soon as the information becomes available.

I follow the GEM Cruise director on FB he posted 4 hours ago that the Gem left Bermuada today to avoid Irene.. Trying to out run the storm and make it safely back to NYC

Can you provide his facebook screen name? Thx..:)

Bill(DrFootball)

"Hooah! it's an Army Thing"

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

It appears that the Gem has indeed left Bermuda. There is a guy on Weather Underground who keeps a webcam pointed at the Dockyard pier. Earlier today, two ships were docked (with the Gem being on the right of the photo), but as of 4 hours ago, there is the silhouette of only one ship. Here's the link to the webcam photos

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/freddiebda/1/show.html

Of course, the Gem may end up bobbing around at sea somewhere until Monday.

It appears that the Gem has indeed left Bermuda. There is a guy on Weather Underground who keeps a webcam pointed at the Dockyard pier. Earlier today, two ships were docked (with the Gem being on the right of the photo), but as of 4 hours ago, there is the silhouette of only one ship. Here's the link to the webcam photos

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/freddiebda/1/show.html

Of course, the Gem may end up bobbing around at sea somewhere until Monday.

This am all three ships have left Bermuda. They are not in their berths. A local posted this on another thread.

Thanks for the update.

I'm scheduled to be on the Jewel tomorrow and can't believe they still haven't made any decisions about what will happen. If they close the city - how can a ship go out?

I'm scheduled for the Gem on Sunday and I can't believe it either! I have 40 ppl to arrange transport for!! And when we called yesterday, NCL said they expect no changes...um, really!? the city is practically going to shut down on Sunday! How are we supposed to get there!??! How do they expect to leave?!

I'm scheduled for the Gem on Sunday and I can't believe it either! I have 40 ppl to arrange transport for!! And when we called yesterday, NCL said they expect no changes...um, really!? the city is practically going to shut down on Sunday! How are we supposed to get there!??! How do they expect to leave?!

I think that when NYC Government makes an official announcement about evacuation, etc.. then NCL will make their statement. I do not know when the next press conference is in NYC. I do know that the mayor said yesterday that decisions would be made today depending on the next weather forecast.

I am sorry and hoping to the best.

I'm scheduled to be on the Jewel tomorrow and can't believe they still haven't made any decisions about what will happen. If they close the city - how can a ship go out?

Stay tuned and get to the pier early. Here is what RCL is doing:

In a small tweak, Royal Caribbean International moved forward by one hour Explorer of the Seas’ departure from Bayonne’s Cape Liberty on Saturday. Passengers are asked to be on board no later than 3 p.m. for a 4 p.m. departure.

One thing that seams certain the Gem will be at the pier. She could in fact be docked on Saturday having departed Bermuda a Day early.

When it is safe she will sail to Bermuda. You could leave on time or even stay docked overnight.

Get to the pier

One thing that seams certain the Gem will be at the pier. She could in fact be docked on Saturday having departed Bermuda a Day early.

When it is safe she will sail to Bermuda. You could leave on time or even stay docked overnight.

Get to the pier

How or when would you suggest I get there? I have a group of 40. I do not see how we would possibly leave at 4pm on Sunday in the middle of the direct hit of the storm. I also don't see how I would be able to travel to NYC Sunday morning as planned. They may be evacuating the city! Should I really head to the city now, only for NCL to tell me later today or tomorrow that we're not leaving til Monday? That would be foolish.

How or when would you suggest I get there? I have a group of 40. I do not see how we would possibly leave at 4pm on Sunday in the middle of the direct hit of the storm. I also don't see how I would be able to travel to NYC Sunday morning as planned. They may be evacuating the city! Should I really head to the city now, only for NCL to tell me later today or tomorrow that we're not leaving til Monday? That would be foolish.

Personally I would be calling hotels in NYC now and I would have be there Saturday

How were you planning on getting 40 to the pier in the first place? If you were planning on leaving for the pier on Sunday morning then you still have time to wait for NCL's plan.

The National Hurricane/Weather Center makes detailed updated forecasts at 11 and at 5 or 8 pm according to the weather channel. I think everyone is waiting for details and will decide.

How were you planning on getting 40 to the pier in the first place? quote]

We have a 2 25 pax buses, one leaving from my house and one leaving from my aunt's house in South Jersey which is a whole other nightmare right now. I need to know if I should be calling them and asking us to take us Saturday or Monday. I already called them once but I dont have any info yet (thanks again NCL!).

I just can't imagine that we're going to be expected to embark on Sunday right now. That would be terrible. And the later it gets today, I have to imagine Saturday isn't really a possibility either. Which is FINE. I just want to know! I GET that they have to wait, but if all the other lines have announced a plan...why not NCL?!

Archived