tips with multiple toddlers

ginger123snaps

First cruise/trip of any kind with toddlers (many cruises before kids). 3 year old Twins and 2 year old...all boys. Sailing Carnival Triumph out of

Galveston, TX (no flight..we live in Texas). Need tips on the following:

Any tips on how to make embarkation/debarkation smoother with 3 toddlers? I'm beginning to wonder how I will handle all my luggage plus 3 toddler? We are driving/parking at the port...so any tips for this would be greatly appreciated

How do most of you handle lunches/dinners? If you take them to the main dining hall how do you keep them occupied. I was thinking that we would just feed them..drop them off at camp carnival and then DH and I would go eat by ourselves afterwards..so we requested "anytime dining"...would you guys recommend something different?

Any beaches in Cozumel..nearby that you would recommend?

Any tips on how to survive the very last day when everyone is getting off the ship and there's so much chaos and waiting?

Please help..now that I'm thinking about all this...I'm starting to talk myself out of this cruise.

First cruise/trip of any kind with toddlers (many cruises before kids). 3 year old Twins and 2 year old...all boys. Sailing Carnival Triumph out of

Any tips on how to make embarkation/debarkation smoother with 3 toddlers? I'm beginning to wonder how I will handle all my luggage plus 3 toddler? We are driving/parking at the port...so any tips for this would be greatly appreciated

We have twin boys who are now 4, but we've cruised with them several times already. My advice for embarkation (since you're driving) is to get there early, drive right up to the porters and drop off your luggage. MINIMIZE your carryon stuff and give as much to the porters as you can. Then, go park the car and walk back with the kids (whether that's in a stroller or not). We've cruised out of both Tampa and Pt Canaveral with the kids and it's always been very easy to do this. If you get there early, you won't spend a ton of time waiting in the car drop-off line, and you'll be able to park relatively close, so the walk back will be painless.

At debarkation, we always send one adult to get the car while the other waits with the kids and the luggage.

I'd have to disagree a bit. :o

We used to live in Austin, so Galveston was also a drive-to port for us. We'd drop the bags off and DW would stay with the twins. Then I'd go over to EZ cruise parking (right across the street) and hoof it back. It's much easier for one adult to make their way back given the scenario around the pier.

If you prefer to park at one of the remote lots, I'd still drop most everything and just send one adult to ride the shuttle... but that depends on how well the kids will mind you (and/or if you're willing to leash them.) You can get pretty far back off the road and away from the major traffic in front of the building in Galveston, but it's still a busy place.

With 3 pups is tow, I would probably try to arrive closer to noon. It not clear how far your drive is, but that's what we'd do from Austin. That way you have a good chance of the line being reasonable. We'd actually plan to do lunch on the south side of Houston so we'd have a time buffer for the 4.5 hour drive and the kids would be fed before possibly standing in lines for 45 mins or longer. YMMV, but we find fed kids to be happy kids. :D

Arriving a bit later also means you won't have to lug carry ones around the ship as long before you can get into the cabin. I totally agree you should minimize carryons, but I won't ever check my camera/electronics and there is a need for at least one diaper/toy bag.

Lastly: you didn't say when, but if Magic is in town I'd consider a 7-day on her. No matter how well it goes, embarkation is going to be trying and disembarkation is going to not be fun. Therefore: maximize the fun days in between. :)

Anytime dining is the way to go. The service is more flexible in terms of timing, so you can have a sit down dinner but they will keep things moving if you ask them to. We haven't run into problems keeping them entertained just with all the activity (and they get fed right away), but other will bring small toys or even a DVD player (which is a hotly debated topic.)

That said, the twins will be 2 on our next cruise so it's likely we'll put them in Camp for a couple of nights so we can have a nice dinner. Anytime gives you that flexibility as well.

I don't know about Cozumel... always get those C-ports mixed up. That is a good question for the port of call boards. And I'm sure it's already been answered many times so you can probably find that on the first page.

Enjoy!

The dining room staff will DOTE on your kids...and it's usually easier than dealing with serving yourself AND all the kids in the buffet!

With anytime dining, you don't have to make a huge production out of a meal...go at your own pace. I'd do as many meals in the dining room as possible! It's easier for you!

For debarkation, our portable DVD player is a lifesaver for my twins (and lots of other restless kids who gather around to watch). Debarkation is always the hardest part, so we find the most remote spot we can rather than trying to sit with the grumpy crowds and their luggage.

My twins have been sitting through three meals a day in the MDR since they were 13 months because I've found that it's easier, less chaotic and more enjoyable than dealing with toddlers at the buffet. Others have had different experiences, but you may want to give it a try. I know some kids will and some kids won't, but mine are very entertained by all the activity plus the little distractions I bring along, and the staff DOTES on them.

Have a great vacation!

Best,

Mia

Thanks so far for all the advice. We are travelling from Austin, TX..I like the idea of leaving early and arriving with either fed kids..or feeding them in line. I also like the idea of dropping everyone off.

Keep the tips coming..so appreciated.

We are booked on the Magic for April 15th also...DH and I had discussed waiting until 2012 to travel...just to make life easier for us..but I just couldn't wait...I haven't left Austin since the boys were born..and I'm done...so Triumph..here we come!

How do most of you handle lunches/dinners? If you take them to the main dining hall how do you keep them occupied. I was thinking that we would just feed them..drop them off at camp carnival and then DH and I would go eat by ourselves afterwards..so we requested "anytime dining"...would you guys recommend something different?

Any beaches in Cozumel..nearby that you would recommend?

Any tips on how to survive the very last day when everyone is getting off the ship and there's so much chaos and waiting?

Please help..now that I'm thinking about all this...I'm starting to talk myself out of this cruise.

ITA about one person staying with the kids and another going to park the car. We do this at airports and it works well. Just make sure you have agreed on the meeting point! For embarkation, I would try and have the kids as restrained as possible, either in strollers or carriers. These are chaotic times and it's easy to have a small child get lost amongst the crowds. DS1 is 6 and he still holds on to one of our hands at all times, DS2 is 4 and in the Ergo carrier. I just don't trust him ;) Same with debarkation, I try to stay in the room as long as possible, and get a debarkation time that is as close to the time you must vacate the room as possible. As others have said, minimizing the amount of stuff with you is key, as especially with debarkation we found the elevators to be clogged. Having one person walk the kids through the stairs while the other carries the stroller would be ideal. Food, DVDs etc all make good entertainment, but I would choose limiting luggage over entertainment if forced to pick between the two!

Lunches we usually went to the buffet to grab a quick meal, one parent stayed with the kids at the table while the other got food (one plate of food with empty plates underneath worked well, as NCL has no trays). Dinner we often went to the MDR, kids could tolerate the 1hr meal quite easily. DS2 wouldn't stay at kids club, so he often came with us to the MDR while DS1 played. Whatever works is our motto! We did room service for breakfast on several occasions, never the MDR, didn't even think of it! It's on our list for the next cruise...

Regarding Cozumel, it`s one of our ports too and honestly I haven`t figured out anywhere to go either. So far I`ve figured out that there is at least a taxi or bus ride to any of the beaches, and I`m a sticker for using car seats so not sure about that one. We may just wander around the port area and hang out at the ship`s pool. If you find anything please do share!

• 2 weeks later...

I have twin 3 year old boys and a 7 year old DD. First I want to tell you to take a deep breath and not stress over it too much. There is so much going on with all the people, new sites and sounds my kids seem to keep their patience more than I do at times :D. To be honest we never take toys or anything with us anymore when because they always seem to find something interesting (although they may be on different sides of the ship LOL) Not sure what your funds are but I would highly recommend a combi side by side stroller, this thing is great for traveling. It is so comfortable even my 7 year old takes her turn riding and folds 2 ways to the size of a single and has a bottom wheel that you can roll like luggage (great for waiting on taxis/buses) and I have never seen a doorway I couldn't fit it through.

Regarding Cozumel' date=' it`s one of our ports too and honestly I haven`t figured out anywhere to go either. So far I`ve figured out that there is at least a taxi or bus ride to any of the beaches, and I`m a sticker for using car seats so not sure about that one. We may just wander around the port area and hang out at the ship`s pool. If you find anything please do share![/quote']

Here is a place I found you may want to read about Cozumel. It is a self walking tour and it is what we are going to do because we also are not taking car seats..

cozumelmycozumel DOT com

If possible, try and time your drive from home to Galveston to coincide with your kids' nap times. I can't imagine they'll take a nap once they're faced with the excitement of being on a cruise ship, so if you can get them there well-rested, so much the better. Feeding them before checking in sounds like a good idea as well.

As for having one parent drop everyone off and then go park the car . . . how I feel about that would depend on whether I'm the one doing the parking, or I'm the one watching the kids. Keeping track of three toddlers all by yourself in a crowded place can be daunting. Personally, for that reason alone, I would endure the car parking and shuttle riding together, so that you have two adults with the kids at all times. JMHO.

Here is a place I found you may want to read about Cozumel. It is a self walking tour and it is what we are going to do because we also are not taking car seats..

cozumelmycozumel DOT com

Thanks for the tip, we are bringing car seats but not sure if I want to lug them around 3 days in a row :) OTOH if DS2 keeps eating they way he has been we might be experiencing our first booster seat only trip a year early! If DS2 manages to hit 40lbs, I think we'll take a taxi to a beach. Otherwise we're walking too...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived