Should seasickness pills be available on the NHS - discuss...

blitznbobs

Tbh I think I was caught a little off guard and by nature I like helping people out. There are no rules about this kind of thing... I won't be caught by this one again... And then the question of Valium for flying raises it's ugly head...,

Now that is a good question - my sister has to have a couple before we fly and the GP will always prescribe them for her, I can see the comparison between sea sickness pills and valium for flying - tricky!

Not really a good excuse but sea sickness tablets can be bought over the counter while valium (and similar) will need a prescription - the question is whether this should be a private one or not!

I'll stick to my large B & C before getting on board a plane, it's worked for me so far!

This was the case a few years ago when I lived in Bristol - I can't remember where I was going but the inoculations were not compulsory so I didn't pay for the certificate (I didn't need it)

At one time some surgeries charged a prescription fee for each inoculation but I'm talking about 20 years back.

This reminds me that I must phone my nurse and ask where I currently stand with the boosters.

I just get my passport vaccination book stamped and signed by the practice nurses never had a problem with customs/ immigration.

Passport vaccination books are free at all gp surgerys you have to ask there not offerred but all practices are given them free by the drug companies supplying travel vacs.

It's an interesting question that I've never thought about before but today I had 2 patients demanding seasickness medication for their upcoming cruise... and then went on to make several other demands about this medication which I have to say got my back up a little... I did prescribe it in the end but should this 'leisure' medication be available on our already strapped for cash NHS...??

Discuss...

Simply - NO

Otherwise could I have my glass of wine on the NHS as well.

Motion discomfort (P&O's terminology) is not a disease or an illness, therefore should not be treated as such.

Tell the so and so's to go away and stop wasting your time.

Tbh I think I was caught a little off guard and by nature I like helping people out. There are no rules about this kind of thing... I won't be caught by this one again... And then the question of Valium for flying raises it's ugly head...,

Not to mention ******, you must have some doubts at times.

David

When I'm on a cruise, I carry a small "first aid" kit, with things like paracetamol, elastoplasts, antiseptic wipes and cream, sun lotion and (when cruising) seasickness remedies. I would no more expect the NHS to pay for my seasickness stuff than I would expect them to pay for any of the other stuff, which would have just as good a claim for NHS funding.

My seasickness pills cost me very little (about the cost of a couple of cups of coffee), but I find ginger biscuits work well - maybe some people would want a prescription for those also.

Hi first post so be gentle!I recently went to my gp to ask for advice on what to take in the case of seasickness.Didn't go expecting a prescription but got one.I have a few medical problems which i take medication for and have to be careful about taking over the counter drugs.

Hi first post so be gentle!I recently went to my gp to ask for advice on what to take in the case of seasickness.Didn't go expecting a prescription but got one.I have a few medical problems which i take medication for and have to be careful about taking over the counter drugs.

Hi and welcome to cruise critic worlass :)

That's a perfectly good reason to ask your doctor's advice and use prescription travel meds.

Never thought of looking at it this way - thanks for your post, you've probably made a few of us think a little more about our responses. You obviously had good reason to go to your Doctor. (PS Am sure everyone will be gentle with you --- it is only after post 2 / 3 that things warm up! ;))

While on the subject of seasickness, what brands do cruisers prefer. As a boat angler I always take Kwells as they last up to eight hours and are non-drowsy. Do other brands last longer or are they an instant fix so to speak.

Buccastem - you don't even need to swallow them as they dissolve between your top lip and gum.

I think Avomine are quite good. But for some reason Boots don't tend to stock them anymore, though you can order them.

Never heard of Buccastem. Does it work in the same way as Avomine?

Some seem to just make you sleepy, reducing your responses and some change the signals to your brain I think?

The medics among you will put me right!

The first cruise I ever went on had a rough crossing in the Bay of Biscay and I felt awful so went to Doc and had the jab and a packet of pills.

Everyone said the jab would knock me out and then I'd feel fine - can't say it did much - didn't knock me out and still felt sick!

Archived