Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

Well, my travel agent just confirmed that we are out of luck-Nothing, Bars. NO compensation whatsoever for w 6 day trip that was contracted for 7 days. Another poster said a psychologist would have a field day with this thread. They are clearly not out $1200 like I am.

Lawyers, please chime in. I really don't care about what they legally are bound to do, but doing what is right by their customers is the ENTIRE point.

Following that line of thinking a little further, Cruise Critic, most of the Internet, most television shows,, almost all movies and every other form of entertainment should be shut down because we have brave members of our armed forces putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan. Only grim-faced reporters should be allowed on television.

I was posting on this thread while being in Irene's line of fire, including just before and after having to take cover during a half hour tornado warning.

Entertainment is a necessary form of stress relief. Major League Baseball resumed in NY City only a short time after the tragic 9/11 terrorist attacks, and believe me, it was welcomed by most and did nothing to detract from the gravity of the situation.

What line of thinking ?

What line of thinking ?

You said "I agree 100%" in response to this post (your post was #208 on this thread):

Originally Posted by debt

I know this is a cruise message board, but am I the only one a little disgusted by this conversation? It's highly likely that hundreds, maybe thousands of people will have to deal with more then a missed port over the weekend. Seems to me the ammount of obc we "deserve" for the inconvience of having a cruise delayed is a little insensitive under the circumstances.

Didn't they give you your refund in the form of a credit to your onboard account? :confused:

Yes the refund was given as an OBC.....but that was a small refund $5 - $10. There has never been additional "Compensation" for missing a port.

As njhorseman confirms the port charges are not always refunded.

Well, my travel agent just confirmed that we are out of luck-Nothing, Bars. NO compensation whatsoever for w 6 day trip that was contracted for 7 days. Another poster said a psychologist would have a field day with this thread. They are clearly not out $1200 like I am.

Lawyers, please chime in. I really don't care about what they legally are bound to do, but doing what is right by their customers is the ENTIRE point.

Just curious how you arrived at the $1,200 figure?

Report back @ the end of your cruise if anything was provided.

There was a new member here yesterday stating that they were in the Garden Villa for a family reunion cruise. 1/7 of $8,400 would be $1,200. But, $8,400 for the Garden Villa seems cheap, and $8,400 for any other cabin seems high.

He'd almost have to be in the GV for that to be 1/7 of the cruise fare only. (Maybe he got an upsell) No refund on Port taxes and fees since they will be in Bermuda the same 3 days they are scheduled for. Or his computation of only the cruise fare is off.

I'd be willing to bet he neglected to purchase travel insurance since he's more worried about contacting a lawyer than enjoying his cruise.

You said "I agree 100%" in response to this post (your post was #208 on this thread):

Originally Posted by debt

I know this is a cruise message board, but am I the only one a little disgusted by this conversation? It's highly likely that hundreds, maybe thousands of people will have to deal with more then a missed port over the weekend. Seems to me the ammount of obc we "deserve" for the inconvience of having a cruise delayed is a little insensitive under the circumstances.

Well, since I was doing the thinking, I can assure you that you took the wrong fork :). I don't view all of the (what-was-then premature) bashing of NCL to be entertainment. I don't consider any form of public bashing to be entertainment.

However, having been in bed for 2 weeks with excruciating pain from shingles after caring for my husband who was recovering from surgery and then in the path of all of the whims of Mother Nature that you were, I can honestly say, sitting here in Panera's (where there is wi-fi) for the last 8 hours, I have been entertained.

Now apologize for trying to hijack the thread. ;)

Just wondering why if you are currently on the Gem, you are still quoting your Travel Agent instead of anyone from NCL???????:confused:

There is a difference between missing a port and missing an entire day of the cruise. For missing a port there should be no compensation but I really think that some kind of credit should be given for missing an entire day of cruising.

Well, since I was doing the thinking, I can assure you that you took the wrong fork :). I don't view all of the (what-was-then premature) bashing of NCL to be entertainment. I don't consider any form of public bashing to be entertainment.

However, having been in bed for 2 weeks with excruciating pain from shingles after caring for my husband who was recovering from surgery and then in the path of all of the whims of Mother Nature that you were, I can honestly say, sitting here in Panera's (where there is wi-fi) for the last 8 hours, I have been entertained.

Now apologize for trying to hijack the thread. ;)

I'm not sure how it's possible to misinterpret " I agree 100%"...that doesn't seem to leave any wiggle room when those were your only words...and the poster did say "Am I the only one a little disgusted..." so if you agreed 100% you must be a little disgusted too.

But...I'm glad you're feeling well enough to be sitting a Panera's. I have no interest in getting into a one-upsmanship war over who is sicker or who has had the greater stories of woe.

...and how is this different from all of the other cruise lines? It appears from your signature that you have very little experience with other cruise lines. But, trust me they are all the same, once they get you on the ship now the real business of making money starts. With cruise fares as low as they are, how else do you suppose they make enough money to pay for billion dollar ships?

Cruise companies -- Carnival Corp., Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. -- make more than 70 percent (closer to 75) of their revenues from ticket sales. Check out the quarterly reports.

Cruise companies -- Carnival Corp., Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. -- make more than 70 percent (closer to 75) of their revenues from ticket sales. Check out the quarterly reports.

But 100% of the profit on the mass market lines is from the on-board revenues. They would be bleeding red ink if all they had was the ticket revenues. I'm sure you saw the Peter Greenberg-hosted CNBC special that covered a week-long cruise on the Norwegian Pearl and went over that in detail...or as you said you can also read their financials.

Allow me to chime in and confirm what others have said. We've missed a number of ports due to weather conditions on NCL and other cruise lines and have never received an OBC other than a small amount for port taxes (and not even that in all cases). We also had an open bar for an hour or two on one cruise, but that was it.

Missing ports is common

I think they are talking about a cruise being shortened completely by one day

I think we all would - in a perfect world.

However, can you truly blame NCL??? Hell no!!! It isn't there fault that the weather isn't cooperating. Get real!!!

IMO that's the chance you take sailing during hurricane season. I'd rather be safe.

If you want 1/7 of your cruise back, are they going to charge the people stuck at sea more cause they have an extra day?

We get hurricanes every year, this isn't something new.

I, your ever-cruising Pianoman, was on the Gem for the past 8 days of our 7-day cruise:rolleyes::D. The captain and crew of our "home away from home" were nothing if not the stalwart, comforting, and professional companions a coupla thousand people could hope for. They used the best information they had at the time to get us home safely. They tried like CRAZY to get the Gem back to NYC on time. They ultimately made the choice that was the safest route for all involved. Furthermore, if you doubt the option they chose wasn't the safest, I'd remind you that there was an AIRCRAFT CARRIER group out in the swells, cruising past us. That says to me that professional naval officers thought it was safer to be out at sea with about 5000 US soldiers and sailors, and a coupla ga-jillion dollars of US Goverment property to bob in the stormy seas than to be in port at the docks.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The captain used the best information that he had at the time to make a judgement call that effected the lives of about 3,500 people--lives for which he is ultimately responsible. When we pulled out a day early, the best information was that we would boogie (and the Gem CAN dance when you put her hammer down) up to NY and weather the storm there. Plan C was that we'd go around it to the west. Plan D was to jog in open waters until it was safe to return. But Plan D didn't happen until returning to NY or Bermuda or staying in Bermuda were no longer options. I applaud the work of the crew of the Norwegian Gem and their efforts to bring us all home safely and as comfortably as was possible.

In terms of compensation, I cannot say I wouldn't be asking for some kind of credit, obc or otherwise, but as the other poster said, this is what travel insurance is for. Even though I sympathize with you for missing out on a day of your cruise, those ARE the risks associated with cruising in the midst of hurricane season....

Also, I think I speak for everyone on the Gem last week that I would've just as soon been in NY and home on time if it meant NOT jogging in circles for 36 hours. But that simply wasn't possible.

They did however, make the best of a bad situation by offering more on ship activities, a small amount of free phone service so we could call people on shore and internet for emailing on shore plus free movie rentals for the remainder of the cruise.... They truly made us feel like we had nothing to worry about....

Once more, I applaud the crew of the Norwegian Gem for their leadership, care and concern for our safety and well-being! Norwegian Gem is still my "home away from home," and, if anyone would like to suggest I'm "blowing smoke" up anybody's anything, I'd also like to add that My Lee and I came this close ::motions with fingers:: to trying to stay on the ship for another cruise to BDA.... Reality however prevented that wonderfulness....

But rest assured, My Lee and I will be on another NCL ship at least once or twice more before the end of the year.... and the way they handled the ship and her complement of guests is a big part of the reason why

And I thank YoU:

JWK: I survived the Bermuda Triangle and Hurricane Irene, thanks in no small part to Captain Gustavson, his crew and the Norwegian Gem!

Missing ports is common

I think they are talking about a cruise being shortened completely by one day

I know what "they" are talking about. I was addressing a specific misconception posted on this thread that had to do with compensation for missed port calls, NOT the cruise being shortened.

BINGO

You just won the prize for most respectful answer to this endless thread.

There is no legal obligation to do anything but you are correct, the passengers will be upset and take it out on the staff with an endless line of people removing the auto gratuity, etc. Save the madness. But I doubt they will so so because NCL will lose money on the cruise.

That was another thing that made me respect Captain Gustavson and all of his decisions. When he was not on the bridge in direct command of his vessel, he was in the atrium (truly for the last two or three days) for hours. He made it clear at each announcement that if we had a (his words) "concern or complaint" that we should use the service desk as our own person whipping post. He stood in the atrium taking questions and giving frank, honest, respectful answers in the face of some (not all) closed-minded, selfish, and unthinking people I've ever seen on a cruise ship. The main question was WHY?! The main answer was, "Because we cannot control the weather." That is the bottom line.

The other variable was the Carnival Victory which was parked in our spot. But that didn't matter anyway. The US Customs and Borders weren't going to clear us to debark the vessel until Sunday anyway. Moreover, the Captain of the harbor would've kicked us back out to sea when he closed the port of New York.

Officials and people in charge do things for a reason. We can either agree with them or not. I agree that people are righteously peeved about losing a day off their cruise. They shouldn't take it out on the operating crew on board. They operate the vessel and keep us safe.

And I thank you:

JWK: Safe at home

That was another thing that made me respect Captain Gustavson and all of his decisions. When he was not on the bridge in direct command of his vessel, he was in the atrium (truly for the last two or three days) for hours. He made it clear at each announcement that if we had a (his words) "concern or complaint" that we should use the service desk as our own person whipping post. He stood in the atrium taking questions and giving frank, honest, respectful answers in the face of some (not all) closed-minded, selfish, and unthinking people I've ever seen on a cruise ship. The main question was WHY?! The main answer was, "Because we cannot control the weather." That is the bottom line.

Sounds like a classy bunch. ;)

I, your ever-cruising Pianoman, was on the Gem for the past 8 days of our 7-day cruise:rolleyes::D. The captain and crew of our "home away from home" were nothing if not the stalwart, comforting, and professional companions a coupla thousand people could hope for. They used the best information they had at the time to get us home safely. They tried like CRAZY to get the Gem back to NYC on time. They ultimately made the choice that was the safest route for all involved. Furthermore, if you doubt the option they chose wasn't the safest, I'd remind you that there was an AIRCRAFT CARRIER group out in the swells, cruising past us. That says to me that professional naval officers thought it was safer to be out at sea with about 5000 US soldiers and sailors, and a coupla ga-jillion dollars of US Goverment property to bob in the stormy seas than to be in port at the docks.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The captain used the best information that he had at the time to make a judgement call that effected the lives of about 3,500 people--lives for which he is ultimately responsible. When we pulled out a day early, the best information was that we would boogie (and the Gem CAN dance when you put her hammer down) up to NY and weather the storm there. Plan C was that we'd go around it to the west. Plan D was to jog in open waters until it was safe to return. But Plan D didn't happen until returning to NY or Bermuda or staying in Bermuda were no longer options. I applaud the work of the crew of the Norwegian Gem and their efforts to bring us all home safely and as comfortably as was possible.

In terms of compensation, I cannot say I wouldn't be asking for some kind of credit, obc or otherwise, but as the other poster said, this is what travel insurance is for. Even though I sympathize with you for missing out on a day of your cruise, those ARE the risks associated with cruising in the midst of hurricane season....

Also, I think I speak for everyone on the Gem last week that I would've just as soon been in NY and home on time if it meant NOT jogging in circles for 36 hours. But that simply wasn't possible.

They did however, make the best of a bad situation by offering more on ship activities, a small amount of free phone service so we could call people on shore and internet for emailing on shore plus free movie rentals for the remainder of the cruise.... They truly made us feel like we had nothing to worry about....

Once more, I applaud the crew of the Norwegian Gem for their leadership, care and concern for our safety and well-being! Norwegian Gem is still my "home away from home," and, if anyone would like to suggest I'm "blowing smoke" up anybody's anything, I'd also like to add that My Lee and I came this close ::motions with fingers:: to trying to stay on the ship for another cruise to BDA.... Reality however prevented that wonderfulness....

But rest assured, My Lee and I will be on another NCL ship at least once or twice more before the end of the year.... and the way they handled the ship and her complement of guests is a big part of the reason why

And I thank YoU:

JWK: I survived the Bermuda Triangle and Hurricane Irene, thanks in no small part to Captain Gustavson, his crew and the Norwegian Gem!

Pianoman thank you for posting this, I'm very happy to hear all of you returned safe and sound thanks to the decisions made by NCL. I'm sure it was frustrating for some to not be able to get back to homes and family but it sounds like everyone made the best of a stressful situation with the help of the Captain and his crew. Welcome back.

Archived