Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

Check their facebook page...

Norwegian Cruise Line 21 hours ago

Captain Roger Gustavsen reports that Norwegian Gem is having a good day at sea today, well away from the storm. He says there is no rain and many guests were out on the upper decks. He appreciates that he has recieved lots of support and understanding from the guests onboard.

I am glad to see that! and thanks for letting me know:)...but many, many people are not on facebook..it would be nice if NCL posted info for family and friends

Grow up people! Its hurricane season...no flights into NYC until Monday afternoon. This is why you buy insurance. NCL is a business not a welfare agency. NCL's fares are already discounted compared to other cruise lines.Sometimes things don't work out the way they should.Barb

On the www.ncl.com site

(not facebook - but I was alerted to it through facebook)

August 28, 2011, 4 pm ET | View in full page

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. Therefore, the company continues to closely monitor the path of Tropical Storm Irene. Because of the storm, we have modified the following itinerary:

Norwegian Gem will remain at sea, keeping a safe distance from the storm, on Sunday, August 28 instead of returning to New York as scheduled. The ship will arrive in New York at 7 am on Monday, August 29. All guests for the August 28 cruise are asked to arrive at the pier on Monday, August 29 beginning at noon. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at 4 pm on Monday en route to Bermuda. The current itinerary calls for three full days in Bermuda as scheduled.

Guests on board the vessel will be kept up to date by the ship’s Captain. We appreciate our guests’ understanding.

If there are any further changes, we will update this site. Thank you.

Grow up people! Its hurricane season...no flights into NYC until Monday afternoon. This is why you buy insurance. NCL is a business not a welfare agency. NCL's fares are already discounted compared to other cruise lines.Sometimes things don't work out the way they should.Barb

since there are no flights into NYC until monday afternoon...just how does NCL expect those pax to arrive? Flying in a day early in this case would have been useless as the airports were closed on Saturday...and driving in or taking mass transit on Monday may be equally as useless.

so, IMHO...travel insurance is absolutely mandatory...and not just during hurricaine season...and...I for one would also like to know if NCL and the other cruise lines get insurance for themselves....for just this sort of situation...when they have to cut a cruise short...and the pax want compensation...and for when they have to extend the cruise...and have to feed the pax an extra day...

something to ponder.....and I am sure that my theory will be cut to pieces...but it is still something to ponder...regardless.

Ok travel insurance aside. If I pay for a 7 day cruise I expect a 7 day cruise. I know ports can change. If it is cut to six I expect 1/7 of my fare to be refunded on OBC. I did not get what I paid for and was advertised. If I am right didn't carnival and RCL compensate people who missed days on there cruise this feb because of fog in Galveston. I do travel during hurricane season and I know how fast weather is. And I do have insurance.

I am not sure what is going to happen with those who have to fly tomorrow. I hope they had insurance or that maybe NCL will delay sailing a little to get them on board. maybe sail at 6 instead. This is a loose loose. But with the PR on PUerto Rico having on RCI. NCL should just do the obc and stay away from being the bad guy. Personally I would get the OBc or my money back if my cruise was cut short a day.

so, IMHO...travel insurance is absolutely mandatory...and not just during hurricaine season...and...I for one would also like to know if NCL and the other cruise lines get insurance for themselves....for just this sort of situation...when they have to cut a cruise short...and the pax want compensation...and for when they have to extend the cruise...and have to feed the pax an extra day...

something to ponder.....and I am sure that my theory will be cut to pieces...but it is still something to ponder...regardless.

Cruiselines do have to have liability insurance, however like any other insurance there are only so many claims they could make before not being able to obtain insurance. And since there are so many "I want credit, OBC, reimbursement wants every week" they couldn't possibly make claims to cover. So it is probably more used to cover lawsuits and very large claims. Therefore I'm assuming something like this would be out of pocket if they offered passengers anything back.

since there are no flights into NYC until monday afternoon...just how does NCL expect those pax to arrive? Flying in a day early in this case would have been useless as the airports were closed on Saturday...and driving in or taking mass transit on Monday may be equally as useless.

JFK and EWR will be open for arrivals at 6am, LGA at 7am...so there is at least some chance passengers could fly into NY tomorrow in time to board their cruises.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/inclement-weather.html

- John F. Kennedy International and Newark Liberty International airports will open to arriving flights at 6 a.m.

Monday, Aug. 29, with departures set to resume at noon.

- LaGuardia Airport will reopen to both arrivals and departures at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

Ok travel insurance aside. If I pay for a 7 day cruise I expect a 7 day cruise. I know ports can change. If it is cut to six I expect 1/7 of my fare to be refunded on OBC. I did not get what I paid for and was advertised. If I am right didn't carnival and RCL compensate people who missed days on there cruise this feb because of fog in Galveston. I do travel during hurricane season and I know how fast weather is. And I do have insurance.

I am not sure what is going to happen with those who have to fly tomorrow. I hope they had insurance or that maybe NCL will delay sailing a little to get them on board. maybe sail at 6 instead. This is a loose loose. But with the PR on PUerto Rico having on RCI. NCL should just do the obc and stay away from being the bad guy. Personally I would get the OBc or my money back if my cruise was cut short a day.

I think that it is amusing to even think that someone who had their flight cancelled on Sat or Sun would even be able to fly in tomorrow. What about everyone else who is scheduled to fly tomorrow? They were there first and unless the airlines add more flights..which Jetblue did for us when we..and 20,000 othe cruisers...were caught up in hurricaine Frances..it will be rather hard to just reschedule for tomoroow...I would think Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest. And remember, when a hurricaine hits the carib and strands 20,000 pax..the airlines realize that they need to get those pax home and new pax there for the next cruise. When it comes to flying into to NYC....cruise pax are seriously not numbering 20,000...as many NYC cruisers drive in or use public transport...and also..remember NYC is not..regardless of what we like to think...the same kind of cruising location that say Florida is.

It is going to be very difficult to get into NYC on Monday...no matter how you slice it.

Those are the pax that just have to write this vacation off and file a claim with the insurance....at least the fact that the airports were closed will be in their favor..and the ins. co. will honor the insurance.

JFK and EWR will be open for arrivals at 6am, LGA at 7am...so there is at least some chance passengers could fly into NY tomorrow in time to board their cruises.

- John F. Kennedy International and Newark Liberty International airports will open to arriving flights at 6 a.m.

- LaGuardia Airport will reopen to both arrivals and departures at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

well that is good news..the last I heard, it was supposed to be the afternoon. I still think that it will be close to impossible for them to make the ship on time..due to other airline pax that are already booked and have been booked for months ..on tomorrow's flights. So, unless more flights are added..it should be a genuine nightmare.

IMHO...I believe they will delay the ship's departure until late Monday night or early Tuesday. Either that or sail half full...which may actually happen.

I always buy insurance within the 14 day period....fully knowing that the premiums are non refundable.

well that is good news..the last I heard, it was supposed to be the afternoon. I still think that it will be close to impossible for them to make the ship on time..due to other airline pax that are already booked and have been booked for months ..on tomorrow's flights. So, unless more flights are added..it should be a genuine nightmare.

IMHO...I believe they will delay the ship's departure until late Monday night or early Tuesday. Either that or sail half full...which may actually happen.

I always buy insurance within the 14 day period....fully knowing that the premiums are non refundable.

Adding some extra airline capacity isn't out of the question. The airlines move all their equipment out of an area when a storm like Irene is approaching, and they have to move equipment back to meet their scheduled departures tomorrow. Rather than deadheading aircraft back to NY they could add some extra sections, assuming there are gate slots available to handle them.

The ship may leave a little later tomorrow, but I doubt they would delay departure another day. It would be very expensive to berth in NY for an additional day. Besides, a substantial percentage of cruise passengers on NY departures don't fly in, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

Cruiselines do have to have liability insurance, however like any other insurance there are only so many claims they could make before not being able to obtain insurance. And since there are so many "I want credit, OBC, reimbursement wants every week" they couldn't possibly make claims to cover. So it is probably more used to cover lawsuits and very large claims. Therefore I'm assuming something like this would be out of pocket if they offered passengers anything back.

If they offered the pax 1/7 of their cruise back they aren't out anything out of pocket since they collected the money for 7 days and are only cruising for 6.

They'd be out on the cruise that was extended.

Bill

Knowing the havoc IRENE has caused thus far, delay and extensions for others, but do you feel those whose cruise is shortened by (1) day should receive something from NCL?? (OBC etc.???)

Afterall it is chance you take sailing during Hurricane season.....

What are your thoughts???

cannot control mother nature

I have to disagree. at well after 11am, they said there would be a 2pm update. That's not really an update, but okay it was something. The 2pm announcement didn't come til more like 2:50. I was monitoring constantly. And they posted on their facebook page 1st at 2:40pm. B/c I wrote on their wall and they directed me to the update they had just posted. Honestly, I'd rather have that 11am "non-update" than looking at that SAME message from 8/24 til 8/26 @ 2:50pm. In today's day of technology there is no excuse for that. They should CONSTANTLY be updating, even if there is no news. People live online these days.

And I didn't get a call until 1pm today. And my agency didn't get called until 4:40pm yesterday.

I'm an agent, I bought insurance, and I'm well aware of what's in my contract. And, I think that b/c of the bad press RCCL is getting, that's all the MORE reason why NCL should give an OBC. Of course that's probably why Celebrity's doing it, and guess what? That's the right call. NCL should follow suit. It would really go a long way for the people that are put off by this. And when booking that next cruise, people will remember.

You are an agent? Probably not a very good one who can't follow cruise line rules and contracts. If NCL give you money back are you in favor of all the other people 'stuck' a day longer to be charged an extra day?

I assume if NCL would refund you a day you are also in favor of a commission recall for you and your entire group for that one day?

You are an agent? Probably not a very good one who can't follow cruise line rules and contracts. If NCL give you money back are you in favor of all the other people 'stuck' a day longer to be charged an extra day?

I assume if NCL would refund you a day you are also in favor of a commission recall for you and your entire group for that one day?

so the pax being shorted a day should pay for the pax "stuck" on the ship for another day?

And the cruiselines skates away scot free.

Bill

The first seats on Monday's flights will be for those who purchased a Monday flight. It seems reasonable to suppose that most of the cruisers had Sat or Sun flights booked and will therefore be in line for whatever extra seats are available.

If they offered the pax 1/7 of their cruise back they aren't out anything out of pocket since they collected the money for 7 days and are only cruising for 6.

They'd be out on the cruise that was extended.

Bill

Perhaps you should have read what I was answering. The poster I was answering and quoted basically asked could the money not come from NCLs insurance. So if the answer to that is probably wouldn't be coming from insurance. Where would it be coming from the sky? Of course it is coming from their pockets, no where in there did I say or not say that they would or wouldn't be losing money in the end, just that it would be coming direct from them.

I still think that it will be close to impossible for them to make the ship on time..due to other airline pax that are already booked and have been booked for months ..on tomorrow's flights. So, unless more flights are added..it should be a genuine nightmare.

Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Everyone says, "This is what you get when you book during hurricane season"

Bull....You can have weather incidents any time of year. For some of us who like to escape the cold winters, snow and wind are a problem during the months that hurricane season is not.

Yes, altered itineraries are always a possibility and should be accepted without fuss during hurricane season, but your cruise being shortened and not being compensated just isn't right.

We had a 4 day cruise booked on CCL back in 2003 during our kids winter break. A storm came in the night before we were to leave...but the storm actually started in the south. It dropped a whopping 3 inches down there and disrupted flights like you wouldn't believe before it even got up here to dump 20 inches. Our flight (which was coming in from a southern airport) was cancelled at midnight the night prior to when we were supposed to leave. SO...for us to get to NOLA this is what we had to do:

No flights out of Maine, so we rented a car and drove it to Boston. Dropped the car there, hopped on a plane to Dallas. From Dallas, we had to then get a plane to Baton Rouge. Got off the plane there and rented another car to drive to NOLA.

(Thank goodness we had planned two nights pre-cruise. We only missed one night)

We did this because we wanted to get on that ship. And we had a blast.

It was our responsibility to get to the port. The ship was leaving and we had no excuse not to be on it...so we got there.

CCL wasn't responsible for us getting there, that was our problem.

HOWEVER, if we had paid for that 4 day cruise and it was shortened to 3 days I would expect that they would give me somethign for the day I missed. This is how I feel about NCL. I know the shortened cruise is due to weather, but those people paid for 7 days on a ship. They bought a 7 day cruise.

This is a joke post, no? You can't really be arguing that a TA fighting for it's clients makes them "not a very good one"

BTW as an industry that is trying to grow it not enough to state ,Sorry you didn't "follow cruise line rules and contracts"

With your attitude, I hope you are not working with the public. (Perhaps at a DMV ?)

Finally as others have posted, OBC is not cash. Also people who got an extra day were spending on their bonus sea day so it wasn't a total loss for NCL

Finally as others have posted, OBC is not cash. Also people who got an extra day were spending on their bonus sea day so it wasn't a total loss for NCL

No, OBC is not cash in its pure form. But, OBC does reduce profit, so that makes it cash of a different form.

This is a joke post, no? You can't really be arguing that a TA fighting for it's clients makes them "not a very good one"

BTW as an industry that is trying to grow it not enough to state ,Sorry you didn't "follow cruise line rules and contracts"

With your attitude, I hope you are not working with the public. (Perhaps at a DMV ?)

Maybe a look at the bigger picture is in order here.

An agent berating a cruise line for being 40 minutes late posting information doesn't bode well for future business with that cruise line. Granted, the agent will probably try to discourage business with NCL, but in the long run, will cost clients more by directing them to a more expensive cruise. That will increase the agent's commissions, but will not be the best for the clients. The fights should be picked wisely.

Many cruise lines are encouraging the public to do business directly with them by not allowing agents to discount rates, so this example may be the tip of the iceberg for future disagreements between TA's and cruise lines.

Archived