Celebrity Equinox

tazza

Hi, just wanted to know if the Ocean View Cafe (have assumed thats the buffet) is open for dinner or are there any other options other than the "speciality restuarants" if one doesn't want to go to the main dining room?

Hi, just wanted to know if the Ocean View Cafe (have assumed thats the buffet) is open for dinner or are there any other options other than the "speciality restuarants" if one doesn't want to go to the main dining room?

Hi tazza. Yes, the buffet is open for dinner though it is a somewhat limited selection. We still found plenty to eat there and it's lovely and quiet in the evening. You can also have the dinner menu from room service; ask your cabin steward for a menu, or Bistro on 5 is a nice change for just $5 pp.

Just keep in mind that when I say the buffet at night is "quiet" you can't begin to believe how quiet it is!! The whole area had perhaps four people when we went up and I guess they know there aren't many people because there's not much light either....it was like a ghost town. It was like a sci-fi movie...where are all the rest of the people?!

The food is perfectly good....and if you want an intimate dinner you will be very happy! I found it depressing; next time I'll order room service. If you were by yourself it would be really depressing. IMHO. ;)

I'm not a big fan of spending my evenings in the MDR, so I do eat at alternate venues. There were a lot of people at the evening buffet on the Equinox when I went. It wasn't like it was during the day, of course, but it was active. Yes, it was dark. The menu is more limited than during the day, but there are choices. They have a hot line, salad bar, pizza, pasta bar, stir fry station, desserts and ice cream. The hot bar mostly has hamburger, hot dogs, a carved meat (mostly beef) and some sides. Honestly, this wasn't the best evening buffet I've had on a ship, but I could always find something to eat. Bistro on 5 has crepes, sandwiches and salads. I ate there twice and really enjoyed it both time. I probably should have gone more. It was only $5 cover if I'm not mistaken. I did order room service a couple times, but wasn't impressed with my choices. I know this is my fault, but I felt guilty about asking my cabin steward about the evening menu as he made a point of saying he'd have to make a special trip to go get it every night. I didn't ask him to do that. Also, on other cruise lines they have people who deliver food. On Celebrity, your cabin steward also delivers the food. I felt bad pulling him away from his other work. I know that's just me, but I didn't like ordering room service for that reason.

Room service.....

Don't worry about ordering room service. I do understand that it may involve your cabin steward having to bring it but I worked on cruise liners many years ago and people may not like me for this but the job is well paid, you pay daily gratuities and most people often tip extra for cabin delivered food.

your on holiday order room service in the evening its fun to eat on the balcony at night and after all you have probably paid a lot of money for what is for most people a holiday of a lifetime.

Enjoy

We did the evening buffet on the Constellation last year and were very disappointed (and we're not at all high maintenance) in both the food and the ambience. The food choices were limited and the quality was poor. That the the area was dark didn't contribute to the ambience; rather, it just seemed like someone forgot to turn on the lights. The whole scene seemed like an afterthought. I wrote a detail comment about the experience on the trip evaluation form that Celebrity provides. Except for our dinner in the buffet, my comments were overwhelmingly positive.

Betsy

The cafe in indeed open for dinner and the choices are excellent. If you don't want to dine in the MDR you could order room service at no extra charge and eat in the privacy of your cabin. :o

I would hope the buffet on the Silhouette will be good too. We will probably be eating there a lot since we got stuck with the late seating at 8:30.

We wanted the flexible seating but they were all booked. and we were told there was no wait list for it on the 11/18/11 sailing.

We had the anytime dining on the Equinox last year which we really enjoyed.(Food was excellent!) But the buffet was okay also when we did not feel like doing the dining room

We also tried the Tuscan Grill which was very nice.

Last year on the Equinox, there were a few evenings when we did not want to dress for dinner or had arrived late from our excursion (early seating). We ate at the buffet and it was alot quieter than lunch time but the number of people varied on when we went. If we went after 9, it did seem very quiet with very few people around. The food selections were still good, but seemed to get more limited the later you arrived. They probably stop preparing additional servings once they see how many people are coming in to avoid waste.

We never did try room service other than for breakfast.

Archived