Coki, Magen's Bay or Saffire??????

pidds2

I will be going on a Sunny Liston tour coming up and wanted to know what beach I should pick. I have options of Coki, Magen's Bay or Saffire. I live near Siesta Key (top beach this year) and go there all the time. So I am used to a nice beach with beautiful sand and clear water. There is not much else at Siesta Key and I wanted something different. Maybe some snorkeling. If you have been to all three please let me know which you would recommend.

Sunny is the BEST! You guys are going to love him. Been to Sapphire in 2005, don't remember much, it wasn't real memorable (other than I do remember vividly paying $8 for a small burger and a bag of chips). When I was researching our 2011 cruise stopping in St. Thomas, there had been some kind of dispute over the management there and questionable reports as to the state of the property. We went to Coki, mainly for the snorkeling, which was decent. It has a true local feel though, and inspite of the police presence and the fact that Sunny was around most of the time, it may have made other people nervous (though we didn't feel unsafe and had our kids with us).

I have only been to Sapphire, so it's the only I can offer any information on.

Here is my review from last year along with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Your review completely sold me on going to Sapphire Beach. I was contemplating going over to Trunk Bay to snorkel because we had already toured St. Thomas & Meagan's Bay (IMO, not nearly as pretty as Sapphire according to your pics) but I think we're going to head to Sapphire. Your snorkeling pics were fantastic which is what we want to do. Thanks for sharing. :D Did you go to Sapphire on your own or on an excursion?

We went on our own. Just grabbed a cab and off we went (well, actually a van full LOL but we let off people along the way). It was simple and they dropped us off I guess where they drop everyone off (which is right in front of Sapphire Beach Resort). They told us taxi vans run about every 15 minutes or so to pick you up and take you back. As soon as we got out there one pulled up. (I was hoping we would have the 15 minutes because I was wanting to take more pictures). :D

Stayed at Sapphire Resort last week at a private condo. The beach is beautiful, BUT, after the cruise ship passengers left for the day, the beach was littered with trash. If you go, remember to police after yourself. Take any trash you generate with you or deposit it into one of the very many trash receptacles available.

Stayed at Sapphire Resort last week at a private condo. The beach is beautiful, BUT, after the cruise ship passengers left for the day, the beach was littered with trash. If you go, remember to police after yourself. Take any trash you generate with you or deposit it into one of the very many trash receptacles available.

Awww, that's so sad. I agree, people need to be respectful and clean up after themselves.

Just wondering, did you stay right there at the Sapphire Beach Resort where they drop the cruise passengers off? How was it? After visiting Sapphire we always said we would love to go and stay there for a week. Give me details. :D

Awww, that's so sad. I agree, people need to be respectful and clean up after themselves.

Just wondering, did you stay right there at the Sapphire Beach Resort where they drop the cruise passengers off? How was it? After visiting Sapphire we always said we would love to go and stay there for a week. Give me details. :D

We stayed at unit E 209, "The Glass House" unit which was amazing, with views over Sapphire Marina and out to Cruz Bay in St. John. We booked http://www.vrbo.com/169596 through VRBO and were very pleased with the unit, the location, the views and the quiet. We rented a Jeep for the week and traveled all over the island and St. John. The location near Red Hook allowed us to take the ferry over to St. John for dinner a few times, taking the 6:00 PM ferry over ($6 pp each way) to watch sunset on our way, and the 9:00 PM back under the stars.

We too had visited many times on our cruises and my Bride really wanted to stay for a week. I was hesitant, thinking I might get antsy, but I had a great time as well. Booked a BVI tour right at the marina via http://www.visitbreakaway.com/ which was the highlight of the trip, and right outside our door!

The taxi's let people off in the main parking lot, just 200 yards outside the beach between buidings B and C.

I would highly recommend staying for an extended time in St. Thomas, one of our best vacations yet!

We stayed at unit E 209, "The Glass House" unit which was amazing, with views over Sapphire Marina and out to Cruz Bay in St. John. We booked http://www.vrbo.com/169596 through VRBO and were very pleased with the unit, the location, the views and the quiet. We rented a Jeep for the week and traveled all over the island and St. John. The location near Red Hook allowed us to take the ferry over to St. John for dinner a few times, taking the 6:00 PM ferry over ($6 pp each way) to watch sunset on our way, and the 9:00 PM back under the stars.

We too had visited many times on our cruises and my Bride really wanted to stay for a week. I was hesitant, thinking I might get antsy, but I had a great time as well. Booked a BVI tour right at the marina via http://www.visitbreakaway.com/ which was the highlight of the trip, and right outside our door!

The taxi's let people off in the main parking lot, just 200 yards outside the beach between buidings B and C.

I would highly recommend staying for an extended time in St. Thomas, one of our best vacations yet!

Wow, that place looks amazing. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Some day I hope to make it there. :) I know visiting Sapphire last year just for the day was the highlight of our cruise. It was truly a paradise.

I have only been to Sapphire, so it's the only I can offer any information on.

Here is my review from last year along with pictures: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Mitsugirly - I had actually read your review a while back. Great review - you are the reason I was leaning toward Saffire to start with.

Mitsugirly - I had actually read your review a while back. Great review - you are the reason I was leaning toward Saffire to start with.

Thanks we truly enjoyed ourselves and others that have went after reading my review liked it as well (with the exception of 1 person which, to the rest of us, seem to be someone that isn't pleased with a simple beach day and expected a 5 star treatment).

We also love Sapphire Beach. We have been to St. Thomas 3X on cruises and went to Sapphire twice and on a private daysail once. The daysail was fine. It is a highly recommended one on these boards, but decided for us a day at Sapphire was a better fit. It is laid back, friendly, has plenty of shade, very good snorkeling and no crowds either time we were there. There has been a place to buy a burger on both of our trips. Yes pricey, but so is the airport and I eat there! After all, it's a vacation.

We went the first time on a Sunny Liston tour. The second time we decided to skip the tour, but contacted Sunny anyway and he picked us up at the ship and took us to the beach. Then he picked us up at the end of the day and returned us to the ship. We will do the same when we return, God willing, in 2013.:)

2444482360071903042S600x600Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
are there areas there for chair rentals on Saphire?

Yes, you can rent chairs there. Hopefully someone can chime in with a cost (if that's what you are interested in) because we did not find the need to rent them since we were snorkeling most of the time, but I do know they rent them there. There was plenty of shade trees, so if we decided we wanted to get out of the sun for awhile, we sat under them to rest and have a cold drink. That is where we put our things while we snorkeled too. :)

Yes, you can rent chairs there. Hopefully someone can chime in with a cost (if that's what you are interested in) because we did not find the need to rent them since we were snorkeling most of the time, but I do know they rent them there. There was plenty of shade trees, so if we decided we wanted to get out of the sun for awhile, we sat under them to rest and have a cold drink. That is where we put our things while we snorkeled too. :)

I can't remember the exact cost of the chairs when we were last there in 2009, but $5 springs to mind per chair. We do rent them and pull them under a tree. There are no umbrellas for rent, but there is no need as there is plenty of shade.

Probably a dumb question but, what do you do for beach towels? Does the cruise boat supply them or do we bring them from home? And someone did mention that all snorkeling gear can be rented is that correct?

Mitsugirly that was an awesome review of Sapphire Beach! A friend from church recommended Magen's Bay but, after reading this thread I think I have changed my mind.

There are 6 of us - 2 that are not too adventurous so a relaxing day with some snorkeling for the kids & other 2 adults will probably be a good choice.

Thanks for your help!

Blessings

Probably a dumb question but, what do you do for beach towels? Does the cruise boat supply them or do we bring them from home? And someone did mention that all snorkeling gear can be rented is that correct?

Mitsugirly that was an awesome review of Sapphire Beach! A friend from church recommended Magen's Bay but, after reading this thread I think I have changed my mind.

There are 6 of us - 2 that are not too adventurous so a relaxing day with some snorkeling for the kids & other 2 adults will probably be a good choice.

Thanks for your help!

Blessings

You get your beach towels from the ship (the boats are the little things hanging off the side of the ship, LOL) ;) Depending on the cruise line and ship they will either be available from your cabin steward or from the pool area. Be sure not to lose them or they will be the most expensive used towels you ever bought!:eek:

I think you will like Sapphire if you like to snorkel. Meghan's Bay is beautiful, but snorkeling is generally not available there - nothing to see. Sapphire has the best of both worlds, a sandy bottom area for the kids and rocky areas where you will see a ton of brightly colored fish. You can rent equipment at the beach. We generally bring our own, though. The water is usually quite calm there, too.

For the stronger swimmers (more adventurous types) there is excellent snorkeling out to the far right as you face the water and towards the end of the point (in front of the hotel). It is a bit too far out for me, but my brother & SIL snorkeled out there and they said it was amazing.

Have fun on your cruise!:D

Thanks for your help!

Blessings

Thanks and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Sit by the grape trees for shade and you'll see iguanas walking around and in them. :D

Beach towels are provided by the ship. Just make sure you don't loose them or they'll make you pay for them.

Archived