ruins in cozumel or costa maya w/ children?

lesleyswimcoach

I am looking a at either San Gervasio or Chacchoban ruins with my 6 and 9 yr old. I was wondering which one would be better? I would love to do one of the larger ones(Tulum) but I don't want to spend the day traveling back and forth. I would love opinions from anyone that has been to one or both.

I've done the ruins at Tulum, but not San Gervasio. You don't say how old your children are, but I can tell you that even for two adults in our mid-twenties the ruins at Tulum proved to be an exceptionally long day. The ruins site itself is huge, the bus ride long, and the ferry ride pretty close to horrible. The ferry is pretty small, the ride is very bumpy and the day that we went at least 1/3 if not half of the people traveling got sea sick. If the ride would have lasted any longer, I wouldn't have and I've never been sea sick or motion sick in my life.

Even with all of this, I would say that the excursion was worth it to get to visit this awesome site but I'm not to keen on going back anytime soon.

I haven't been to the ruins on Cozumel, except an extremely small building at a shopping stop, but as I understand it they are quite small and unimpressive.

We did go to ruins an hour or so from Costa Maya, which I think was Chacchoban (?). They were much larger and quite interesting, though still quite a ride to and from. I'm not sure how interested kids that age would be other than climbing on the stones.

I completely agree with not taking them to Tulum from Cozumel. Too far, too long, the ferry ride is often very rocky, and the site can be extremely hot. It is beautiful and impressive, but, to me, not worth the long ride from Coz. , especially with young kids.

Probably the ruins on Cozumel would be enough for kids, who often don't really appreciate much touring, and you should still have time for a nice beach break. I think one of the beach resorts even has some small ruins on site.

I have been to the ruins at Tulum and it was one of the worst days of my life. Long, hot, sweaty, boring, eaten alive by mosquitos..never again. I know lots of people find this tour fascinating but I did not care for it and honestly I don't think 2 young children would be into all that history. Just my opinion.

I've done both Tulum and Chacchoben and loved them both. I must lead a charmed life, because the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (on the way to Tulum) was nice and smooth, coming and going. I found the boat to be decent-sized and comfortable. And I didn't get bitten by a single bug the whole day. (I took the precaution of using bug spray.) I have not visited San Gervasio (nor even heard of it), so I can't help you there.

Given your choice, and with the ages of your kids, I would probably go for Chacchoben. The ride on the bus is about the same duration for either one (and neither of them is especially scenic), but you don't have to contend with the ferry ride at Costa Maya. Also, on the way to Tulum, the buses make a stop at a craft market for about a half-hour or so; this would probably bore the kids.

The ruins themselves are spectacular at both sites. I would say that the overall collection of ruins at Chacchoben is similar in number and size to that of Tulum, though the grounds at Tulum appeared to me to be larger. You can't climb the ruins at either site, but they do let you climb the first few steps at Chacchoben. Also, the setting is more jungle-y, which I think adds to the attraction. There is substantially more shade available at Chacchoben than at Tulum; and yes, it does get hot at both places. If you go, wear sunhats and sunscreen and insect repellent, and bring bottled water with you.

Good luck deciding. I think it's great that you want to expose your kids to some Mayan history, and I'll bet they'll remember what they see long after they've forgotten about lying on the beach.

Archived