Looks like ov is to be relaunched

leedslad

So P&O will end up with 2 clone ships and there will be no re-launch of OV? the arrival of the new mega ship complicates matters as well as they will have to fill it.

I wonder what happened to the demand that OV and Island cruises generated. Perhaps it just went away?

So P&O will end up with 2 clone ships and there will be no re-launch of OV? the arrival of the new mega ship complicates matters as well as they will have to fill it.

I wonder what happened to the demand that OV and Island cruises generated. Perhaps it just went away?

I don’t think the demand went away, but its probably true to say that many have not cruised with P&O (or anyone else for that matter) since OV's demise.

It's also fair to say that many of those who have switched to alternatives would switch back to OV in a heartbeat should she return as the major lines have left a wide gap in the market which we are all hoping and waiting will be filled.

Perhaps with this large ship Carnival will realise that the British market doesn’t need 3 large ships all with the same offering, and consider bringing OV back. Unfortunately (and I really hope to be corrected) I have yet to hear anything to suggest that this is being remotely considered by Carnival Management.

I suspect that not as much of the former OV custom went to P&O as the latter hoped. That whilst pushing Ventura and Oceana onboard OV as suitable casual alternatives P&O were not prepared to make them casual enough to attract many OVers. I suspect that many OVers went instead to lines like Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, NCL and even Princess which have a lighter touch on onboard dress etc. Am I right?

I don’t think the demand went away, but its probably true to say that many have not cruised with P&O (or anyone else for that matter) since OV's demise.

It's also fair to say that many of those who have switched to alternatives would switch back to OV in a heartbeat should she return as the major lines have left a wide gap in the market which we are all hoping and waiting will be filled.

Too right Sheldon . Our holidays have been land based since the demise of OV , but we would be first in the queue to book for "OV3" .

Too right Sheldon . Our holidays have been land based since the demise of OV , but we would be first in the queue to book for "OV3" .

Too true, hobnob.

Just got back from a 2 week stay in the canaries at our favourite hotel(smart casual every night) which cost us as much as our discounted cruise on Ventura last December.

Planning to stay "land-based" until something like OV returns to the fleet.

Looked at Ventura for Jan 2012, but 4 SEA DAYS!! plus poor ports (Dominica, St Vincent, St Kitts) would mean 7 days on board.

Thomson's Dream has taken over the old OV schedule of 7 day round trips from Barbados with only 2 sea days.

Prices are higher than Ventura, proving that that there is a demand for such a vessel, which seems to combine casual and formal without any problem.

I sailed with OV a number of times, loved certain aspects of them but I witness a decline. Having sailed with Princess, RCL and PO I would consider going back to OV if the cruise was right

The decilne was maybe when we tried it then, poor entertainment, absolutely NO atmosphere and missed ports. It's the only ship I have ever been on that had a mutiny by the pax--- TWICE :(

When did you cruise?

The only cruise I have even heard to be anywhere near a mutiny on OV was in Jan 2008 West Caribbean. Worst seas and winds she faced meant pax were locked inside for 48hrs and missed Progresso and Cozumel..

I only know because I was on the next week and there was a handful of previous weeks pax who wouldn't stop moaning..."wouldn't have happened on P&O" etc.. :D

:D

Which were easily avoided after!

The only cruise I have even heard to be anywhere near a mutiny on OV was in Jan 2008 West Caribbean. Worst seas and winds she faced meant pax were locked inside for 48hrs and missed Progresso and Cozumel..

I only know because I was on the next week and there was a handful of previous weeks pax who wouldn't stop moaning..."wouldn't have happened on P&O" etc.. :D

:D

Which were easily avoided after!

We were on that cruise and we didn't miss Cozumel, only Progreso. It was understandable as the seas were so very rough it would not have been safe to try and dock. Lots of people were very ill too so I really do not agree that folk were moaning and groaning, understandably just a little upset that due to nobody's fault we had had to be locked in for 48 hours for our own safety and had missed a port of call. There was certainly no mutiny or anything like it and we all enjoyed the remainder of the cruise ..... avoiding single cruisers like the plague for reasons best kept to ourselves :rolleyes:

We were on that cruise and we didn't miss Cozumel, only Progreso. It was understandable as the seas were so very rough it would not have been safe to try and dock. Lots of people were very ill too so I really do not agree that folk were moaning and groaning, understandably just a little upset that due to nobody's fault we had had to be locked in for 48 hours for our own safety and had missed a port of call. There was certainly no mutiny or anything like it and we all enjoyed the remainder of the cruise ..... avoiding single cruisers like the plague for reasons best kept to ourselves :rolleyes:

I must ave attracted them then! Lol. .. Mind you we missed cayman (I'd booked that fast speedboat ride thing) so was a bit disappointed. Still my best cruise by far as I did Chichen Itza, sub down to reef at Cozumal, Train along panama canal, banana plantation in costa Rica, down the River Wallace in Belize, and the great national park in Honduras... Those were the days! :)

Whats wrong with single cruisers? I find that comment quite offensive.

I'm just booking car parking through CandPS, and in the list of ships is Ocean Village & Ocean Village 2.

The list must have been updated at some stage as Adonia is listed, however so is Artimis, so maybe they just never get round to deleting ships off the list.

I'm just booking car parking through CandPS, and in the list of ships is Ocean Village & Ocean Village 2.

The list must have been updated at some stage as Adonia is listed, however so is Artimis, so maybe they just never get round to deleting ships off the list.

Yeah I've noticed that before.

Yes so in summary.

Ocean Village had 100,000 customers. Fuel prices went up which affected margins due to 100% season chartered flights but were still making some profit.

Carnival had monopoly in AUS, no ship at all based in NZ. Azura was coming with new berths to be filled so Carnival UK decided to move the ship to Aus and NZ, no charter flights and cruise prices are much higher thus maximising profit.

Campaign to try and move OV pax to P&O hence the relentless marketing and offers we keep receiving for ship visits, extra 10% off etc etc...

Carnival loses some 70,000 paying UK passengers, many not taking any cruises this year, P&O have a need by 2015 to find another 100,000 UK passengers to fill the new build and retain the existing fleet..

Various crew and staff (many senior ones have come from OV) have made indications of a brand revival but P&O deny it... Meanwhile P&O search for their next 100,000 + natural churn whilst 70,000 pax wait and hope...

Now if any of you are Carnival share holders and read that!!

Goodnight.. Happy cruising and watch out for those madmen driving their 4*4 scooters down the corridors!! :D

The reason I am looking at this board now is that Carnival Corp are already working on getting the 100,000 UK pax to P&O by turning us all off Princess. They are downgrading the service and formailty on Princess to the point where it is no longer the line of choice for many of us.

The reason I am looking at this board now is that Carnival Corp are already working on getting the 100,000 UK pax to P&O by turning us all off Princess. They are downgrading the service and formailty on Princess to the point where it is no longer the line of choice for many of us.

Obviously plan B then, got to fill these new ships berths oneshow! :D

So is Princess going informal, might have to look at that!

Obviously plan B then, got to fill these new ships berths oneshow! :D

So is Princess going informal, might have to look at that!

The official line is that Princess is not going informal but on the 3 cruises that we have done this year Star, Grand and Crown Princess there were only 2 formal nights on the 12 and 14 day cruises. The dress code was not adhered to in fact on the Crown they allowed shorts in the Main Dining Rooms in the evenings. On the formal evenings we were very much in the minority dressing formally, many men did not even bother with jackets and ties.

The official line is that Princess is not going informal but on the 3 cruises that we have done this year Star, Grand and Crown Princess there were only 2 formal nights on the 12 and 14 day cruises. The dress code was not adhered to in fact on the Crown they allowed shorts in the Main Dining Rooms in the evenings. On the formal evenings we were very much in the minority dressing formally, many men did not even bother with jackets and ties.

Great news. May get us cruising again. Not sure about shorts in the dining room, but anything that gets away from the "stuffiness"that formality breeds would cetainly improve our holiday experience.

OV was launched to attract "people who don't do cruising", which I translate as people who want a holiday rather than the much vaunted "cruise experience", which seems to revolve around dining and what people wear.

Quite frankly give me smart casual everytime over some of the outfits I saw on Ventura last December. I felt positively overdressed in cashmere/wool slacks,expensive mocassins and an Autograph dress shirt.

Great news. May get us cruising again. Not sure about shorts in the dining room, but anything that gets away from the "stuffiness"that formality breeds would cetainly improve our holiday experience.

OV was launched to attract "people who don't do cruising", which I translate as people who want a holiday rather than the much vaunted "cruise experience", which seems to revolve around dining and what people wear.

Quite frankly give me smart casual everytime over some of the outfits I saw on Ventura last December. I felt positively overdressed in cashmere/wool slacks,expensive mocassins and an Autograph dress shirt.

Wow, that sums up traditional cruising and just confirms that we need a british ambience smart casual cruise experience to suit the modern taste.

Thomson's Dream has taken over the old OV schedule of 7 day round trips from Barbados with only 2 sea days.

Prices are higher than Ventura, proving that that there is a demand for such a vessel, which seems to combine casual and formal without any problem.

Don't forget that Thomson doesn't charge tips, though, so actually, the prices might be a lot closer than you think.

Archived