Looks like ov is to be relaunched

leedslad

If, say, Ventura became OV, what would be the main differences?

Place her in the Med, cut out the formal dining, and introduce freedom dining through out......is there anything else special to OV which would have to be done to her?

Jo.

A few gallons of pink and/or purple paint?

Ventura is too big - so will allways lack atmosphere :(

We have had TWO upgrades for the cruise we are going on on 15th --so they must have lots of empty space -- and friends booked last week for the cruise we are on -- prices are very discounted - maybe to try and fill her up - I belive they have been offered fares for the travel to Soton and discounted parking too.

I for one would be straight back on board should the brands return - but suspect with air fares the days of fly cruise are getting a lesser option .

The Soton sailing for 15th was almost as much as a Med booking and that included air fares - now we have petrol and parking on top of holiday cost -:(

Lets just all keep fingers crossed and hope that cruise managments have a mignion that reads these posts and reports back ................

"This next generation ship will deliver the ultimate P&O cruise experience, with "sophisticated wows" and new features to attract thousands of newcomers to our brand, and equally to resonate with existing P&O cruise passengers by giving them the "P&O-ness" they recognise and love" - Carol Marlow, P&Os MD, in new Portunus Club magazine.

What does this mean?

I suspect that it means that the new ship will placed in direct competition for passengers with competitors like RCI and NCL by offering a similar, less traditional, overall cruise experience, whilst retaining the Britishness of P&O with menus, entertainment etc geared to Brtish tastes.

The phrase "P&O-ness" was used frequently in respect of Azura, which they have placed along much more traditional lines than Ventura and compared by P&O with Aurora. Unless they change that, the new-build is unlikely to be much more informal.

The phrase "P&O-ness" was used frequently in respect of Azura, which they have placed along much more traditional lines than Ventura and compared by P&O with Aurora. Unless they change that, the new-build is unlikely to be much more informal.

And unlikely to get them the new passengers they seek. I can't see people who may otherwise cruise with RCI, NCL, Celebrity flocking to P&O because they have got a new, bigger Azura/Aurora. I could however, see them doing so if they had got a new, bigger, more casual and upbeat Ventura giving a cruise experience not dissimilar to those lines - but with British menus and drinks and payment on Pounds.

I could however, see them doing so if they had got a new, bigger, more casual and upbeat Ventura giving a cruise experience not dissimilar to those lines - but with British menus and drinks and payment on Pounds.

Couldn't have put it better. However, I think the formal nights should stay. 4 formal nights in 2 weeks is a good balance, and I quite enjoy them. A bigger Ventura with more facilities would be perfect for the new ship.

Dear little Welsh Cupcake (DaiB)

BTW 2, neither OV 1 or OV 2 was built for the UK market........

The ships may not have been built for the UK Market, but the BRAND was :p

OV was totally focused on young at heart clients with a good sense of adventure. I do agree with you, the old Pompus and Offensive (P&O) know-it-all clients would not have enjoyed Ocean Village. I don't think Ventura is a patch on Ocean Village. Will let you know what I think of Oceana when I come back in later September.

And unlikely to get them the new passengers they seek. I can't see people who may otherwise cruise with RCI, NCL, Celebrity flocking to P&O because they have got a new, bigger Azura/Aurora. I could however, see them doing so if they had got a new, bigger, more casual and upbeat Ventura giving a cruise experience not dissimilar to those lines - but with British menus and drinks and payment on Pounds.

Well like others I think they will. There seems to be a lot of people paying to go with p&o now. Also the discounting going on now is industry wide. If Ventura was exactly what people wanted Azura would be the same. It is not. My understanding is that Ventura is as informal as p&o will get.

All of this does not preclude OV mark 2 with a ship from another line.

Gan canny

Dai

Not to mention a fantastic atmosphere!!! Azura lacks any atmosphere but Ventura is a bit better.

I have to disagree about Azura, have just returned from a 12 night Canary cruise and I was agreeably surprised at the age range on board.

Lots of young couples and young families, a lot of children as it was still school holidays but well behaved and very well looked after by the Reef team.

As a not so old 67 I felt quite geriatric on this cruise, and this is probably for the first time ever on any cruise but especially on P&O's adult only ships where I had felt like a spring chicken in comparison with the average passenger.

IMHO Azura had just about everything you would want from a cruise holiday, and it was wonderful to see how all the young people were dressed up for the formal nights.

I never sailed on OV but I cannot imagine that it could have been any livelier than Azura, so why would anyone want to swap to self service dressed down standards when you can enjoy silver service luxury restaurant standards in the company of well dressed party goers?

I never sailed on OV but I cannot imagine that it could have been any livelier than Azura, so why would anyone want to swap to self service dressed down standards when you can enjoy silver service luxury restaurant standards in the company of well dressed party goers?

As you say, you never sailed on OV so you cannot compare.

As you say, you never sailed on OV so you cannot compare.

OK Matty enlighten me, what was so special about OV that was missing on your Ventura and Azura cruise. Please try to be as objective as possible so that I, and Carol Marlow, can understand what needs adjusting on P&O.

John.

John, first of all i apologise for the tone of my last remark. What i should have said is that there are many people on this board that make continous comparisons without actually experiencing the topic that they are commenting on. Having sailed on OV, OV2, Ventura and Azura, the latter two lack the atmosphere of the OV ships. It is difficult to explain. I have had the same members of staff on OV and P&O ships but they just seem to lack the "get up and go" on P&O. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy dressing up and having silver service but the OV ships had that something extra. OV1 especially was like a friend. You almost felt a personal connection with her. Something that i dont feel with any of the P&O (and RCI or NCL).

I recently attended a visit on Ventura (as we are getting marrie don her). I was speaking with some of the marketing team that showed us around and they were very much of a similar opinion. They also confirmed to me the reasons that OV was withdrawn. The costs of the flights was the ultimate factor plus the increased capacity of the P&O ships. Pax were deserting P&O for OV.

OK Matty enlighten me, what was so special about OV that was missing on your Ventura and Azura cruise. Please try to be as objective as possible so that I, and Carol Marlow, can understand what needs adjusting on P&O.

John.

Read months of background on CC and comments by many liked-minded contributors.

I cannot comment on Azura, but having spent two weeks on Ventura last December I can honestly say she does not have the same holiday spirit that infected everyone on both OV ships.

Not everything about OV was perfect, but the laid back atmosphere, excellent buffet dining, varied entertainment and best of all only 2 sea days during a 14 night Caribbean cruise.

After day on a beautiful beach, all we want is a few cold beers and a quick bite to eat at our leisure. The thought of having to spend the evening trussed up in a penguin suit and being seated with the same people night after night is my idea of hell.

I am 69 years of age but young at heart, came to cruising late in 2007 and found the perfect vehicle for a holiday at sea i.e OV1 and OV2.

If Ms Marlow or any of her team read these forums, she must be aware that the demand for a similar vessel still exists.

I would not go on a "formal" cruise if it was free, but would pay a premium to go back to OV. In fact our cruise on Ventura last December in a Balcony Cabin on Riviera Deck cost less than outside cabin on OV1 in 2007.

I

Read months of background on CC and comments by many liked-minded contributors.

I cannot comment on Azura, but having spent two weeks on Ventura last December I can honestly say she does not have the same holiday spirit that infected everyone on both OV ships.

Not everything about OV was perfect, but the laid back atmosphere, excellent buffet dining, varied entertainment and best of all only 2 sea days during a 14 night Caribbean cruise.

After day on a beautiful beach, all we want is a few cold beers and a quick bite to eat at our leisure. The thought of having to spend the evening trussed up in a penguin suit and being seated with the same people night after night is my idea of hell.

I am 69 years of age but young at heart, came to cruising late in 2007 and found the perfect vehicle for a holiday at sea i.e OV1 and OV2.

If Ms Marlow or any of her team read these forums, she must be aware that the demand for a similar vessel still exists.

I would not go on a "formal" cruise if it was free, but would pay a premium to go back to OV. In fact our cruise on Ventura last December in a Balcony Cabin on Riviera Deck cost less than outside cabin on OV1 in 2007.

But that to some would be hell.

Do not like too many port days, love sea days, hate buffet eating, meals are to be relaxed over. In 17 cruises we have had a table for eight each time and had 17 great times. P&O have it right for us.

There have been calls for OV to come back on a number of boards but if you look carefully it is the same group of people on all boards.

P&O is providing what their customers want. Long may it continue.

Gan canny

Dai

I

But that to some would be hell.

Do not like too many port days, love sea days, hate buffet eating, meals are to be relaxed over. In 17 cruises we have had a table for eight each time and had 17 great times. P&O have it right for us.

There have been calls for OV to come back on a number of boards but if you look carefully it is the same group of people on all boards.

P&O is providing what their customers want. Long may it continue.

Gan canny

Dai

Don't doubt that P&O have it right for you and many others and,if they are unable or unwilling to cater for those of us who prefer a more casual holiday, we will have to look elswhere.

Ventura tried to go down that route but the emphasis was still towards the "cruise experience" rather than a holiday.

Thomson seem to be able to provide a balance between formal and smart casual without resorting to the apartheid that exists on P&O ships.

By the way, it also tends to be the same group of people who defend the P&O position on those same boards.

Don't doubt that P&O have it right for you and many others and,if they are unable or unwilling to cater for those of us who prefer a more casual holiday, we will have to look elswhere.

Ventura tried to go down that route but the emphasis was still towards the "cruise experience" rather than a holiday.

Thomson seem to be able to provide a balance between formal and smart casual without resorting to the apartheid that exists on P&O ships.

By the way, it also tends to be the same group of people who defend the P&O position on those same boards.

All very true.

But I have never seen why p&o should change to suit a small.number of vocal OV cruisers. OV did not work financially, if it had done it would be still be there.

If the feedback to p&o was for less formality and buffet meals then they would provide just that. It clearly is not the case.

Gan canny

Dai

John, first of all i apologise for the tone of my last remark. What i should have said is that there are many people on this board that make continous comparisons without actually experiencing the topic that they are commenting on. Having sailed on OV, OV2, Ventura and Azura, the latter two lack the atmosphere of the OV ships. It is difficult to explain. I have had the same members of staff on OV and P&O ships but they just seem to lack the "get up and go" on P&O. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy dressing up and having silver service but the OV ships had that something extra. OV1 especially was like a friend. You almost felt a personal connection with her. Something that i dont feel with any of the P&O (and RCI or NCL).

I recently attended a visit on Ventura (as we are getting marrie don her). I was speaking with some of the marketing team that showed us around and they were very much of a similar opinion. They also confirmed to me the reasons that OV was withdrawn. The costs of the flights was the ultimate factor plus the increased capacity of the P&O ships. Pax were deserting P&O for OV.

Hi Matty

Do you think the capacity/size of the Ocean Village ships made a difference in terms of atmosphere? I see that you've been on Oceana so would that be a similar capacity? What did you make of that cruise?

We've only been on Ventura once and although we enjoyed the cruise we did find it more impersonal than (say) a cruise on Oceana or Artemis. I also think that the destination sometimes makes a difference, our Caribbean cruise on Oceana last year was very friendly and probably had the least moaners I can ever remember.

Very best wishes to you and your fiance for the big day.

Damian

Not to mention a fantastic atmosphere!!! Azura lacks any atmosphere but Ventura is a bit better.

Surely the atmoshere can be different on a ship from one cruise to the next. A couple of years ago we met a couple who were doing a back to back in the Caribbean, we did 2 weeks, they were on their 3rd and 4th week. They couldn't beleive the difference, a much younger age group and totally different atmosphere.

Hi damian.

Yes i think the size does have something to do with it. However i found Oceana to be similar in atmosphere to Azura. I found the OV ships to be the friendliest of all i have been on. As someone has pointed out, there were only two sea days per 2 week cruise so there were less moaners about sunbeds etc.

Thanks for the best wishes.

Surely the atmoshere can be different on a ship from one cruise to the next. A couple of years ago we met a couple who were doing a back to back in the Caribbean, we did 2 weeks, they were on their 3rd and 4th week. They couldn't beleive the difference, a much younger age group and totally different atmosphere.

Agreed, however the 3 OV cruises i have done were certainly the most friendly and sociable. Perhaps i was just lucky. Plus i had the company of Singlecruiser on one:D

Archived