Night Tenders

Do you mean an overnight stay in one port where you could take a tender to shore/or back from shore during the night? We did this on the Legend of the Seas when we were at Maui. The tenders ran all night long. We took one to the ship at around 1 am, and took one back to shore at 6 am.

If this isn't what you meant then I need more information. :)

Thanks Margie,

Long story but to try and cut it short - Downunder (as they say) we are not used to having tenders operating in the dark of night. We have been advised that tenders (in a particular Port) will be operating at night on this cruise (NZ) and we are not at all happy about it and weren't advised of this at the time of booking and/or paying an absolute fortune - I could say more but won't at this point.

Just wondered how you found tendering in the dark as opposed to the daytime.

Thanks

Di

Not quite sure I'm following, but will say that in the instances we've tendered, either in the daytime or after dark, there were never any problems-the pilots of the tenders all seemed to know what they were doing...even when there were rough seas... on the ship side, the platform that the tenders deliver the passengers to were very well lit, and there were PLENTY of staff to help folks off the tender, onto the platform and on to the ship....and plenty of spotlights so you can see where you're going and where you're stepping.

I guess I don't understand why tendering at night would be an issue-if you're concerned with it, then arrange your schedule in port so that you're back on board before sunset/dark... :confused:

Would you rather that they did not run tenders and you were forced to either stay on the ship or remain in port over night?

Is your issue that they are running tenders at night or that the ship is not docked at a pier? I don't know what you are trying to get at.

OP might have a cabin booked on a lower deck near the tender platform. If so, she may be concerned that the noise from the tender running and people boarding all night will keep her awake.

Well, if the OP gets back to post then we won't have to speculate. But I suspect that if they are paying "an absolute fortune" that they are probably not staying in an ocean view cabin on deck 2 or 3. Of course, I do not know what the OP definition of absolute fortune is either.

It's just speculation. The only other thing I could think of that would upset the OP about having tenders running all night is if she is travelling with a young adult (18, 19 yr old) who may be inclined to get off the ship at night. I think anyone 18 and over can get off the ship without a parent being present. I think 17 and under is supposed to require that a parent be present, although I've seen an occasional upset parent posting that their teen got off the ship without them. I guess the system isn't perfect.

I can't think of any other reason to be upset about tenders operating at night. Like other have said, no one has to get off the ship and use a tender at night if they don't want to.

We did the tender in Maui, same as someone above mentioned. We had gone to the Old Lahaina luau. During the time we were there, apparently the seas got very rough. RCCL was doing a great job, but having a hard time. The platform was shifting and the people on the tender where pretty much having to make a samm jump/leap. They had crew member on each side of the passenger trying to get off the tender literally picking some of them up off their feet, and two more assisting getting them past the gap/shift of the platform and holding onto them as they got their footing. It was rough going, but handled beautifully by RCCL crew.

Archived