Privacy???

Briarhill

We are going on our first cruise October 31 on the Ecstasy out of New Orleans. My wife and I both are in in our mid 40's, and have not had a "real" vacation in several years. While we are not snobs or hermits, I was wondering if is going to be possible to enjoy each others company in anyplace other than our cabin? We will want to do things together, but not necessarily with a bunch of strangers. Any thoughts?

Its as private or as crowded as you make it. Ask for a table for 2 for dinner, explore the ports and ship on your own. Set out on deck together....hubby and I cruised last April...had a wonderful time enjoying each other, was a good way to reconnect!

Hmmm.... Well depending on the cruise sometimes the disco is empty. You can go dance.

The library can be empty a lot of times.

During dinner or shows, you can watch a movie out on the Lido deck. there's hardly anyone there.

Towards the front of the ship, you can walk out to the deck and have some alone time.

Hire a private tour at one of your islands.

Grab a cab and ask him to take you to some out of the way place.

The Ecstasy has the Adults only Serenity area on deck 9 Promenade aft. They have some clam shell loungers which is pretty private.

If I don't want to be outside I sit along the Promenade which is usually very empty in the mornings and on port days.

We are going on our first cruise October 31 on the Ecstasy out of New Orleans. My wife and I both are in in our mid 40's, and have not had a "real" vacation in several years. While we are not snobs or hermits, I was wondering if is going to be possible to enjoy each others company in anyplace other than our cabin? We will want to do things together, but not necessarily with a bunch of strangers. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the wonderful worl of cruisng and to Cruise Critic. Ask any questions you may have, someone will have the answer for you.

In answer to your question about privacy on the ship. There are many places on the ship where you can have privacy other than your cabin. All you have to do is walk around and find them. Many ships have secret doors leading to an area above the bridge. Most people don't know this and most times you can be totally alone here. Hope you guys have a great cruise.

As long as you don't want to be by the pool, or alone in the hot tubs, there are plenty of places to sit on deck, or inside, and be alone. If you really want to be exclusive, get a balcony. I have enjoyed plenty of quiet time on the balcony...however, I have also had balcony neighbors that chain smoked, and when they weren't smoking their kids were out there yelling and playing....disturbing the peace of the sea. Yeah, I know....it's their vacation too. Good luck, and enjoy your cruise....it's the best way to vacation, in my opinion.

The Serenity area on the Ecstasy has two very nice hot tubs, and they are definitely hot! I emphasize that because sometimes hot tubs are more like "warm" tubs, but these were very nice. Since you are going in October, there won't be as many children, so it should be easy enough for you to find quiet places, even away from the Serenity area.

One of those quiet places will likely **not** be around the main pool. I walked through the area one sea day on the way to somewhere else and there were so many people you couldn't stir 'em with a stick!

The Library is indeed very nice - IF you can get them to open it. On second thought - the doors are open and you can go in, but good luck trying to get someone to check you a book out, or a game.

My favorite place on the whole ship was my aft balcony. Even though the side balconies aren't extended, they are still really nice, and the balcony 'walls' are plexiglas. Nice for watching the wake.

DH & I were looking for the same thing on our July cruise on the Ecstasy. We found the following areas to enjoy without a huge crowd:

Evenings on the Serenity deck in the hot tubs (Promenade deck all the way Aft) & had a wonderful peaceful view.

On the Veranda deck go all the way to the front (you walk down the hallway with cabins) & there is a door to a nice area at the front of the ship. No chairs but a nice place to enjoy the view.

On the Lido Deck, most people do not use the outside walkways, we enjoyed looking over the side of the ship at all the fish & sea life. You are shaded by the lifeboats so it is quite nice out there. There are also benches along the outside deck to sit.

Lido Deck bar area / main pool area after 9 PM. There is some background music to enjoy while you sit & relax & chat.

Especially when the evening activities get going there are so many places to enjoy that may be crowded during the day. We didn't feel crowded on the Ecstasy ( & DH does not like crowds) so I think you & DW will find plenty of places to sit & enjoy each others' company. Hope you have a great cruise!!! :)

I have never seen anyone out on the decks above Lido late at night. We usually go out for a walk before heading to bed, and tend to have the whole top decks to ourselves.

During the day, there are all sorts of indoor areas that are practically empty while most others are out soaking up sun.

For buffet meals, take your food all the way to the back of the ship and then go along the sides there are some tables outdoor on the sides that are wonderfully peaceful as long as it's not too windy.

When you say privacy, if you mean totally alone with no person in sight, then a cruise ship will not have many areas like that except maybe right before dinner when everyone is their cabins getting ready for dinner. If you mean a time when you and your wife can talk and sit without others right on you or bothering you, then most places that are not having an organized activity will leave you in peace. Use the daily schedule to see where the big events are and avoid those areas if you want peace.

We always feel like it can just be us without others pushing in on us. We usually haver a balcony, which is nice, but it's also easy enough to find out of the way places to sit alone on the deck, each at a private table, we always do YTD so always get a table for two.

Archived