Grand Cayman Kittiwake

SailawayKC

I'm not sure that I would suggest a wreck dive as your first post-certification dive (and you certainly should not do any exploration inside the wreck if you do end up doing the dive).

Why not get comfortable diving a few nice reefs first?

Thanks for the feedback. Since the wreck starts in 15 feet of water (they sell snorkeler passes too) and has a max depth of 60 feet I thought it would be interesting. I wasn't planning on going inside. I was debating this or diving the wall which doesn't have a bottom (or at least one I want to find).

I dove this in January using Sunset House. I would definitely recommend it for a new diver. Technically, you do not have to have your AOW or wreck certs. There is no reason why you cannot enjoy this dive - just stay on the outside. The superstructure is very interesting. Coral is already starting to take root and there are some permanent residents! Since it is only in 60' of water, it is very bright so there is no problem seeing all the details.

Yes, you get to keep the medallion! I still have it on my BC. As I am an instructor, it is a fun talking point when I am reviewing gear setup.

davidbowen,

How do they handle the group of divers?

Could the original poster potentially be part of a group led by one divemaster where some people want to penetrate the wreck and some people don't? I ask because I wonder if the original poster could find themselve on their first dive without an immediately available divemaster (who is in the wreck with the people penetrating it).

I've seen this done at other sites, such as the Wreck of the Rhone and I'm not sure that this would be advisable for someone on their very first dive.

Ultimately, the original posters choice. If you do the dive, let us know how it goes.

While there are many dive shops on Grand Cayman with trips to the Kittiwake, I can only speak to my one dive with Sunset House. The DM gave two choices to the group - a DM led dive that does not include any penetration and dive buddy pairs going off on their own respecting their level of certification. I observed that most divers stayed on the outside. You can easily confirm what the dive shop's penetration policy is prior to signing up of the dive trip.

To Friscorays point, I would be more concerned about where my dive buddy is than the DM. As is taught in class, plan your dive and dive your plan. That means that the buddy pair needs to discuss if penetration is going to be part of their dive plan. If one buddy wants to and the other buddy does not, it is up to the diver to speak to the DM and ask for a buddy that does not intend to penetrate. If it looks like the DM is going to lead a group instead of buddy pairs, this also requires the diver to speak up.

SailawayKC - This does not have to be the very first dive of your trip. Dive shops go there every day of the week. You can easily spend 2-3 days of nice reef diving to build up your confidence and skills then break up the week with the Kittiwake dive. Just remember your training and your agreed to limitations! You'll have a great time. Diving in GC is a yearly event for me that I look forward to all the rest of the year!

• 3 weeks later...

Aren't you on the Feb 5th or 12th or both sailings of the Adventure?? I didn't know you were a diver. I started my tests yesterday, did my confined water classes today and some tomorrow and take the finals tomorrow at The Dive Shop in Merriam. Then I was going to get OW certified from the instructors onboard ship. At least from what I read, they offer that. I was really hoping someone could offer me that answer, as to whether the dive instuctors onboard ship will certify me in the OW class.

Mike!!

Aren't you on the Feb 5th or 12th or both sailings of the Adventure??

Mike!!

I'm not on the Adventure. I'm sailing on the NCL Pearl. I did my training with Adventure Sports. I was between them and The Dive Shop but the schedule worked out better for me at Adventure Sports. I finished my OW dives this weekend at Beaver Lake.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Sailaway...are you able to do both those dives in the afternoon? My ship gets in at Noon and leaves at 7.

I'm using Cruise Divers which is part of Divers Down. My ship is in port from 8-4 so I could catch both dives. They were the only ones I could find that would do both. If you want to do the Kittiwake book early since I had to try 5 or 6 shops that either had room or dove on the day I was in port.

I'm using Cruise Divers which is part of Divers Down. My ship is in port from 8-4 so I could catch both dives. They were the only ones I could find that would do both. If you want to do the Kittiwake book early since I had to try 5 or 6 shops that either had room or dove on the day I was in port.

Lucky you to get on both those dives :p

It looks like I can get to their 2-tank dive in the afternoon as it doesn't leave until 1:00. Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

Updated information on the Kittiwake, with TS Rina she move 60 ft out from shore and is 10 ft deeper water. She also leans to port now and has a 6 inch crack in her. I didn't see the crack but heard about it. The group I was with was doing a penetration dive that I thought I would be OK with. After the dive through the propellers they everyone started in the ship. I followed but quickly felt unconformable. Remembering my training of only diving within you personal limits I bailed on the penetration. I broke the buddy rule by solo diving the outside of the wreck while everyone else went inside. Overall a very cool wreck and I look forward to diving her again on my next visit to Grand Cayman.

Updated information on the Kittiwake, with TS Rina she move 60 ft out from shore and is 10 ft deeper water. She also leans to port now and has a 6 inch crack in her. I didn't see the crack but heard about it. The group I was with was doing a penetration dive that I thought I would be OK with. After the dive through the propellers they everyone started in the ship. I followed but quickly felt unconformable. Remembering my training of only diving within you personal limits I bailed on the penetration. I broke the buddy rule by solo diving the outside of the wreck while everyone else went inside. Overall a very cool wreck and I look forward to diving her again on my next visit to Grand Cayman.

Hi Sailaway...thanks for the update. Glad you are ok and did what made you feel the most confortable.

Do you know if the Rina was moved by someone or is it unstable and moved by nature? Did you go diving with the sting rays and how was that?

Diving with the String rays was great. I'm not sure I would do it again but it was fun. Make sure you have extra weigh on so you don't need to worry about moving around when interacting with the rays. It's a experience to have a four foot sting ray in your face while diving. You just needed to give them a gentle elbow to move them away. If you have never dove with the rays I highly recommend it.

Diving with the String rays was great. I'm not sure I would do it again but it was fun. Make sure you have extra weigh on so you don't need to worry about moving around when interacting with the rays. It's a experience to have a four foot sting ray in your face while diving. You just needed to give them a gentle elbow to move them away. If you have never dove with the rays I highly recommend it.

I've snorkeled with rays before and really liked that. Guess I'll have to play it by ear.

Laurie - hopefully the wreck will catch on something before it hits the reef.

Archived