IPhone Email Questions

Luna'sMom

I have an IPhone (Verizon Service) and I was wondering if I am going to be charged every time I receive an email while on the ship. I am assuming that my emails will be received using the 3g network not the internet. I do receive numerous work emails daily. I don't mind receiving them, even though I am only going to respond to critical ones. If that is the case, I may disable my email and just log on occasionally to receive them via the internet.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I recently got an Iphone. Under settings, there is a statement that says turn data off when abroad the avoid substantial charges. While in ports however, you can find cheap or even free wifi and then email from that function, with your data function off. An option for inexpensive communication is texting. With data turned off, you can still send and receive text. It will be .50 for each sent and .05 for each received. If you turn airplane mode on, then you disable all of your phone communication including texting.

Thanks for the answers. I have another question now. If I disable my data service will that also stop texts from being received? If that is the case, I may just remove my email setup from my phone, since texting is the way I keep in touch with my children. Is that what you would do? I can check my email daily on my IPad that I plan on bringing.

Thanks for the answers. I have another question now. If I disable my data service will that also stop texts from being received? If that is the case' date=' I may just remove my email setup from my phone, since texting is the way I keep in touch with my children. Is that what you would do? I can check my email daily on my IPad that I plan on bringing.[/quote']

No. Text is a function through voice portion of the phone. It will continue to work even with "data" off. Data portion searches for email and that is the one that can generate a huge, huge bill possibly. Of course, having only data off, but leaving the other functions on, you could have incoming phone calls that you don't want to answer at $2.50 a minute. I'm not sure what happens to an incoming call if you don't answer and it goes to voice mail. I guess you would be charged one minute. And again, text is .05 each received and .50 each sent. If you use your Ipad for email, I guess you'll have to subscribe to the ship's wifi while on board....or wait and get cheaper wifi on shore at port stops...assuming you're Ipad is wifi. I might add, texting will only be SMS, not MMS capable.

Your best bet is to set it to airplane mode and purchase a few minutes of internet time on the ship and communicate with everyone through email. You will be charged for every text the phone recieves if you have signal. It's not cheap at all. I always just put mine on airplane mode so that I can still use the camera and alarm clock. Just my opinion though.

Your best bet is to set it to airplane mode and purchase a few minutes of internet time on the ship and communicate with everyone through email. You will be charged for every text the phone recieves if you have signal. It's not cheap at all. I always just put mine on airplane mode so that I can still use the camera and alarm clock. Just my opinion though.

Again though, texting is not all that bad, just data reception. I'm refering to Verizon service. Others may be different. Here's Verizon cruise ship message:

Cruise Ship Rates

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minuteGlobalData Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Best advice so far for email. I always purchase a block of internet time and login to the ships wifi to check mail once a day. $ .40 a minute is far better then $20 a MB.

The problem with text messaging is you have to turn the voice services on and incoming calls can pop in.

Call Verizon and ask for there International Calling Plans. Explain to them which cruise you will be on and for how long, they can tell you the difference calling plans there are and how they work. Once you get home from your trip call them back and based on your usage they will tell you when to turn the plan off (since all ther plans are pro-rated). They can also now text you when your international roaming goes over a specfic dollar amount. I have mine set for $25. Alot of people do not know that Verizon offers all these services and the stores definitely do not so call their 800 number. I place International Roaming and International Long Distance on my phone whenever I travel because I need to keep in touch due to work (I also have the iPhone). I never received a crazy bill, you just have to pay a monthly service charge for the services but they are very reasonable. Verizon's website also lists all this information. But you have to sign up for the services otherwise Verizon will charge you.

Call Verizon and ask for there International Calling Plans. Explain to them which cruise you will be on and for how long, they can tell you the difference calling plans there are and how they work. Once you get home from your trip call them back and based on your usage they will tell you when to turn the plan off (since all ther plans are pro-rated). They can also now text you when your international roaming goes over a specfic dollar amount. I have mine set for $25. Alot of people do not know that Verizon offers all these services and the stores definitely do not so call their 800 number. I place International Roaming and International Long Distance on my phone whenever I travel because I need to keep in touch due to work (I also have the iPhone). I never received a crazy bill, you just have to pay a monthly service charge for the services but they are very reasonable. Verizon's website also lists all this information. But you have to sign up for the services otherwise Verizon will charge you.

I always did this as well, but in recent months Verizon has changed their international plans. When I tried to do this on a quick trip recently it wasn't going to work for us, so be sure you really understand what the international plan covers before you make the switch. It was great while it lasted!!

Do not agree,but appreciate your opinon. Texts are $.10 one way, and $.50 the other. We leave our phone on so we can get phone calls. AT $2.50 per minute, we might run up $30 in phone bills, but it is worth it. We are in TOTAL contact as needed.

I always did this as well, but in recent months Verizon has changed their international plans. When I tried to do this on a quick trip recently it wasn't going to work for us, so be sure you really understand what the international plan covers before you make the switch. It was great while it lasted!!

Correct. Verizon no longer offers an international plan.

Do not agree,but appreciate your opinon. Texts are $.10 one way, and $.50 the other. We leave our phone on so we can get phone calls. AT $2.50 per minute, we might run up $30 in phone bills, but it is worth it. We are in TOTAL contact as needed.

At $2.50 a minute you get 12 minutes of talk time for $30 not really a great deal or having to pay for texts I don't want. My idea of a vacation means not being in total contact with everyday stresses in my life. To each their own though.

Archived