Who/Where do you book your cruises through?

Debfife

I have booked through all 3. I check prices with each and base my decision on where I feel I will get the best price and service. Depending on the cruise line and specials that are being offered, any one of the three could have the best price. My preference would be to book with the travel agent and if her prices are close, then I do.

Have booked directly with the cruise line and with a local TA working for AAA Travel.

Advantage of using AAA Travel is that they only require a $25 deposit per person until final cruise line payment when you pay the remainding balance in full. Thus using AAA Travel's "Cruise Bank" you keep the money in your pocket until final payment is due. At worst you are only out $25 per person in deposits.

TA gets me same prices with occassional upgrade as I would have received directly from the cruise line.

However, before going to book via TA I do call and get a best offer from the cruise line and other computer oriented TA's. AAA Travel has been good thus far and we are booked now for cruise number 12.

We have booked through all 3 and have found that the best price varies based on a lot of factors.

Given the cruise lines new pricing policies, there is less difference in price; however, some agencies offer extras such as upgrades, free insurance, gift cards, etc. to get your business. Therefore, you should still do your research, especially if you know what you want.

If there is little or no difference, remember that a travel agent, especially one you have used before, will often give you more personalized service. In fact, unless there is a significant difference, we use an independent online agent associated with, but not part of, one of the largest online cruise agencies. She may cost $10 - $20 more a ticket, but unlike the agency, she responds to my calls and checks to ensure I got my tickets so its worth it to me.

I've used my personal TA for both cruises I've booked. I've also taken advantage of her great deals on airfare/hotels to Vegas and gotten a good deal (I think) on our trip to Key West next month. I enjoy having a relationship with my TA, because she remembers who we are and what we want.

I ended up booking my cruise directly with Princess. I tried to use AAA, but I considered the service I received to be less than sub-par. I went to the office to purchase a guide book for my trip to London last year. While there, I asked to speak to someone about an Alaskan cruise. Basically, she brought me two brochures: Princess and RCCL. Told me the others were for "older" people. I tried to ask open ended questions because I had no clue as this was my first cruise planning experience. She was totally unhelpful and lost my business as a result. Over the course of a month, I must have made dozens of calls to Princess to ask questions, get information, etc. They were awesome! I may have saved a few bucks with a TA, but after the difference in service, I chose to go with Princess. BTW, the price on the AAA website was the same as I paid quoting directly through Princess. I only lost a $50 shipboard credit. Whoopee! <sarcasm> I would rather pay $50 than give AAA the credit for that sale. :mad:

I used a well known high volume brick and mortar travel agent in San Francisco who would match any price I could find until last year when I booked my April Hawaii cruise with an online agent. My agent could not come near her price. No problems with online agent so booked another for the end of this year.

Hola fellow cruisers,

So far we have booked 4 cruises online. I've checked with TA's and the cruiselines and online has been the cheapest way to go for us. We've had 3 trips with Travelocity, 1 with Priceline and Expedia was very close all 4 times. I like the idea of useing a TA but I'm cheap, no frugal. Allright CHEAP!:D

Clackey

I've used TA and Cruise line direct. I do most of my own research on what cruise destination, ship, and date. The TA has matched or has come close to the online prices. I love that I have a toll-free number to call that is answered by a real person.

Amen to that! Less than subpar is the perfect description. I used AAA, in person, for our first cruise. I booked well over a year in advance and the only question she asked was "Do you want early or late dinner?". She knew I was a first-timer. I had many questions over the course of a year and she could never answer any of them. My phone calls and email were never returned before 2 weeks had passed. I received an "agent critique card" from AAA after the cruise and I just trashed it. I will still book hotel rooms and perhaps even another cruise thru them online, but only if the price is right. :eek:

I'm just sooooo thankful to all of you, because now I just book on my own, knowing exactly what I prefer. ;)

I ended up booking my cruise directly with Princess. I tried to use AAA, but I considered the service I received to be less than sub-par. I went to the office to purchase a guide book for my trip to London last year. While there, I asked to speak to someone about an Alaskan cruise. Basically, she brought me two brochures: Princess and RCCL. Told me the others were for "older" people. I tried to ask open ended questions because I had no clue as this was my first cruise planning experience. She was totally unhelpful and lost my business as a result. Over the course of a month, I must have made dozens of calls to Princess to ask questions, get information, etc. They were awesome! I may have saved a few bucks with a TA, but after the difference in service, I chose to go with Princess. BTW, the price on the AAA website was the same as I paid quoting directly through Princess. I only lost a $50 shipboard credit. Whoopee! <sarcasm> I would rather pay $50 than give AAA the credit for that sale. :mad:

Archived