Hello from the Summit....

Senga

Other cruiselines, as kitty9 knows, have experienced similar problems and have responded in the same manner as Celebrity, which is basically to do nothing although everyone onboard is aware of the troublemakers. The reason, I believe, is fear of lawsuits, not loss of revenue.

How could they sue?? The ships have security cameras in place and I'm sure they could easily document violations of the terms of service. Also, would the lawsuit have to be handled in an international court? I would believe that the throwing of smoke / stink bombs into the teen disco would have been more than enough to have them ejected from the ship. In the worst case it could be considered a terroristic action or an extreme act of vandalism that could result in loss of life if a fire were to break out.

I wonder what exactly one would have to do to be thrown off of a ship.

Was the guy very tan and wearing alot of gold?? If so I ran across him as well. I'm not really into the sun so I tended to swim early in the morning or late afternoon.

Yep, that was him!

mamoni, I was in the lounge when the three little girls were running on the dance floor. There were maybe 5 older couples dancing when the father took the three out on the dance floor and started them dancing. He left the girls there, and went and sat down. The three started running around and bumped into one much older couple, nearly knocking the poor lady over, and the man told the girls to get off the floor. The father started yelling at the man in Spanish, and pushed the kids back onto the dance floor. A big, muscular security guy came over and told the man that the kids weren't supposed to be on the dance floor (by this time it was after 10:45 and these kids were all under age 7), but the man just argued, and finally stomped off with the kids. It was stuff like this for the entire cruise.

Nope, that wasn't Mr. Sandal man with the potty mouth. My guy was a little taller and a bit thinner...maybe they are brothers????? :-) From what I heard, there were quite a few chair hogs on this trip. Another incident I witnessed was someone trying to kick out an handicapped man in his 80's from a chair. The older man's daughter asked people around the area how long the chair was unoccupied for and they said two hours. When the hogs returned they made the handicapped man move!! I was about to give up my chair when another lady beat me to it. I'm so glad I have an aft balcony cabin on our next cruise and won't have to worry about the hogs!

The rudeness of some people on this cruise was unbelieveable. I will say though, that with the exception of kids with the family reunion, most of the other kids we saw were very well behaved and polite. When I was told there were 275 kids on the boat I was actually quite surprised.

Senga- :confused: I am not sure if you went with the same oscar brown we did - wow what a disappointment-

We were very fortunate with our Tortugera Canal trip and I would highly recommend it. Maybe you were unfortunate enough to get on the tour with the goth lady (black lipstick) - she was in a real state but I believe it was her own fault having got on the wrong bus! Apparently she was supposed to be on OUR bus - thank heavens she screwed up! There were fourteen on our tour and every single person said it was the highlight of their trip. I'm planning to write a review on the Ports of Call and I wouldn't hesitate recommending Oscar Brown's tours.

We were in Senga's group on the Tortugeuro Canal excursion and I concur that it was the best time we had ashore. Carol was very informative and we had the chance to hold a baby Howler monkey, birds, ad even feed a pair of young Toucans. The river part was even more thrilling due the man-eating mangroves and the attack of the bats!

Senga may be able to go into more detail about these last events.

Bob

It's great to hear from so many 0f the CC friends we met on the Summit! I am enjoying all the posts about our cruise. I guess I was very fortunate we did not encounter more of the "wild" children/parents then we did. Most of the events I'm reading, we did not encounter personally - thank GOD!! Sorry others had to though. I'ts so unfortunate when all you want to do is have a great time. Bye for now, Holly

The river part was even more thrilling due the man-eating mangroves and the attack of the bats!

Senga may be able to go into more detail about these last events.

Bob

Bob: You are TOO funny. I think you had to be there to experience it so I won't provide further details (which will only make me look like a fool)! We really enjoyed meeting you and Kevin. I'm sure Kevin didn't put on an ounce with all the deck walking he did. I wasn't so fortunate but every pound was worth it. Thanks for the positive comments on our tour. I sent Carol an email and she was most appreciative and I plan on putting a positive review on the Port of Call board. Great meeting you.

I wonder what exactly one would have to do to be thrown off of a ship.

I think that was answered last year -- kids and parents tossed when the kids broke into the ship's liquor store. Guess X takes losing a few bottles more seriously than the comfort of the rest of the passengers.

I would like to comment on Oscar. Someone mentioned the van not being air conditioned.

We took a tour with him a year ago. The van was NOT air conditioned. I had asked ahead of time about this and he told me it was. :mad: It just blew out hot air and we had to open the windows. It was hotter than hades !!

Just had an email from Oscar's sister Carol and they have just purchased a new van in which the air conditioning is working. Apparently the van BEFORE last October didn't have air and the air in the vehicle he had for our March cruise wasn't working. This has been rectified. I know I wouldn't be happy touring in a non airconditioned car but, unfortunately, breakdowns do happen.

Regarding the Oscar Brown Tour in Puerto Limon: I was on the Galaxy and in Costa Rica on Easther Sunday. We had about 30 going to the Canal Tour. Oscar and his sister, Carol, meet us at the end of the pier, with a small sign, which said "I'm Oscar B" and had a list of all who had booked with him. He used two large vans and both were air conditioned. It was one of the high-lights of our cruise.

I wonder if enought passengers wrote to Celebrity about incidents like what you experienced on the Summit, security might take action a lot faster? I know if I hear this happens more frequently, I'll be doing land-based holidays!

If cruise lines want this type of passengers, they can certainly have a cabin I might have used!

Archived