Taking a relative under 16 without a passport

waterwatcher

I can't stop worrying because my nephew's passport has not arrived and we leave on 9/11. Has anyone had any experience taking a minor relative with just a birth certificate? Do you think we will be able to get him onboard? I have read the policy and it seems like just a birth certificate will suffice but since it is not my son, I am worried. Thanks for any information you can provide.

I can't stop worrying because my nephew's passport has not arrived and we leave on 9/11. Has anyone had any experience taking a minor relative with just a birth certificate? Do you think we will be able to get him onboard? I have read the policy and it seems like just a birth certificate will suffice but since it is not my son, I am worried. Thanks for any information you can provide.

If you applied for a passport do you have an extra copy of his birth certificate?

Also as of April of this year there are new requirements for birth certificates.

Beginning April 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of State will require the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This will not affect applications already in-process that have been submitted or accepted before the effective date.

For more information, see 22 CFR 51.42(a).

To obtain a new birth certificate, see the CDC.

In addition to this requirement, certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

Full name of the applicant

Date of birth

Place of birth

Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority

Registrar’s signature

The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

Bill

As long as you have notarized parental permission from both parents named on the BC to go with the certified BC, then you will be fine.

As for mailing the BC, it is likely nowadays that families have more than one certified copy of a birth certificate. They are needed more often than they used to be in my generation.

As long as you have notarized parental permission from both parents named on the BC to go with the certified BC, then you will be fine.

As for mailing the BC, it is likely nowadays that families have more than one certified copy of a birth certificate. They are needed more often than they used to be in my generation.

We have 2 each:).

I cruised a couple of times last year with my then 17 yo son. His father signed the permission to travel letter and I took it everywhere we went...no one ever asked for it. I wouldn't worry about the passport as long as you have his birth certificate.

btw...we went to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Happy Cruising!

The birth certificate (not a copy!) will be fine. But make sure to have a notarized letter from his parents giving you permission to take him out of the country. Sometimes it's asked for, sometimes it's not.

I always type up a quick letter basically saying "John and Jane Doe, parents of Jackie Doe, gives our permission for our daughter to travel with Kimmi Doe, on the cruise ship Carnival Esctasy, leaving on August 20th and returning August 27th", and then have them sign it both and have it notarized.

Not so much a worry when the relatives we took had the same last name, but my other 5 year old niece was actually questioned before as to whether I was her mother either at the airport or immigration at the cruise terminal-I can't recall which (she has a hispanic surname and looks very different from me).

Thanks for all the replys. I do have the correct birth certificate and a consent to travel letter from the parents so hopefully all will be ok.

So, if you have his BC, how is his passport being processed? Do people really have 2 birth certificates as mentioned above? I mean, obviously that would help in your stuation, but this is an atypical situation. One BC would have been enough had he not applied for a passport this close to the cruise.

So, if you have his BC, how is his passport being processed? Do people really have 2 birth certificates as mentioned above? I mean, obviously that would help in your stuation, but this is an atypical situation. One BC would have been enough had he not applied for a passport this close to the cruise.

His Birth Certificate was sent with the passport application. His father went to the Bureau of Vital Statistics this week and bought another one.

we have 2 each in our family. When we sent for our passports 10 years ago we got extra birth certificates in case they got lost.

Bill

Archived