Tulum or chichen itza?

Dorie7

We are going on Oasis in November and wondered about seeing some ruins. Which is better: the Tulum or Chichen Itza ruins? Also, is there a way to get there without the long travel time? Chichen Itza is 6 hours of travel by bus with the ship excursion, Tulum is 3 1/2 hours by bus and ferry. Wondering if there is a local helicopter service, for example.

Thanks,

Dorie

I have been to both and in my opinion, Chichen Itza is the most extensive and most impressive of the two. You definitely won't be disappointed with Chichen Itza.

I know it is a long trip to Chichen Itza, and because of it's size, you need to plan plenty of time to explore the site. We took a bus tour there while vacationing in Cancun. I think we only had about 4 hours at the site. I say only 4 hours, because we didn't have the time to see it all. It took us about 2 hours to thoroughly explore Tulum.

Make sure you take plenty of water with you because there is no place to get a drink inside either site. You might even want to bring your own shade in the form of hats or an umbrella too. Even in November, the sun can be hot and cause dehydration.

I do not know if there is air service to the site, but I know there is an air strip there. But I do not know if the strip is in service. Maybe someone else knows!

Here is a site that explains a lot about Chichen Itza: http://www.world-mysteries.com/chichen_index.htm

In addition to explaining the history, it has photos, and maps of the site. It even has an interactive Google Earth satellite map of Chichen Itza. You can use buttons provided on the map (or use the scroll wheel on your mouse) to zoom in and out. You can even use your mouse to drag the map around.

If I could only do one of these sites, it would be Chichen Itza.

We are going on Oasis in November and wondered about seeing some ruins. Which is better: the Tulum or Chichen Itza ruins? Also, is there a way to get there without the long travel time? Chichen Itza is 6 hours of travel by bus with the ship excursion, Tulum is 3 1/2 hours by bus and ferry. Wondering if there is a local helicopter service, for example.

Thanks,

Dorie

We were in ChichenItza years ago. We took a small plane but as I recall, it left very early in the morning (7:00 or 8:00?) so not sure that would work if you're on a cruise. Its a very interesting site, the climb to the top was amazing. It was nice arriving there before all the buses.

Tulum is nice as well and has the beach area below, but I don't think you can access it. Of the two, ChichenItza sticks out best in my mind. It reminds me of the pyramids in Egypt.

We were in ChichenItza years ago. We took a small plane but as I recall, it left very early in the morning (7:00 or 8:00?) so not sure that would work if you're on a cruise. Its a very interesting site, the climb to the top was amazing.

They no longer allow tourists to climb the pyramid. It was in danger of being destroyed.

As for choosing between the two Chichen Itza is one of the wonders of the ancient world. There is really no comparison with other Mayan sites. But I doubt that you will get to see it all on an excursion from Cozumel because of all the travel time. We were staying on the mainland when we visited and still could have spent more time there then we had available.

They no longer allow tourists to climb the pyramid. It was in danger of being destroyed.

As for choosing between the two Chichen Itza is one of the wonders of the ancient world. There is really no comparison with other Mayan sites. But I doubt that you will get to see it all on an excursion from Cozumel because of all the travel time. We were staying on the mainland when we visited and still could have spent more time there then we had available.

We had the same problem when we visited the site. Just not enough time.

But if I was given 1 hour at Chichen Itza or 2 hours at Tulum I would choose Chichen Itza hands down!

It looks like Chichen Itza, Hands down, wins the popularity vote! So, I am trying to find a way to go without using the cruse line bus. 3 hours each way doesn't sound like fun to me!

Has anyone heard of Aerosaab? they have a flight that goes from Cozumel, but it requires a minimum of 2 people and is expensive at over $528 each (or 352 each for 3 - 5).

I am wondering if they are legitimate and trustworthy. It always makes me nervous to book outside the cruise line, even though so far I have had good experiences doing so.

Thanks again for all your help! CC'ers are great!

Dorie

Dorie7, please keep in mind that most people recommend you book with the cruise line if you intend to take this tour during a stop in Cozumel. Unforeseen circumstances may lengthen your travel time to and from the ruins, and if you book "off the ship" and you are late getting back, they will not wait for you.

That said, if you google "Cozumel to Chichen Itza flights", you'll find a couple of options that might be what you're looking for. I think I've seen Aerosaab mentioned on these boards?

I would not recommend booking outside the cruise line for chichen itza. It is just too far away!

I have been to both tulum and chichen itza but this was on mainland trips not on a cruise. Both are pretty amazing, but if you must see ruins go to tulum instead. There is still a lot of travel time but it's way closer than chichen.

Everyone seems to believe that Chichen Itza is too risky to fly from the port, so I think that I will use the ships bus tour after all.

Thank you for all the advice. It has helped a lot making my decision,

Dorie

Everyone seems to believe that Chichen Itza is too risky to fly from the port, so I think that I will use the ships bus tour after all.

Thank you for all the advice. It has helped a lot making my decision,

Dorie

My wife and a friend of her's went on an outside the cruise line tour. The tour ran into trouble and just (I mean just) made it back on time. They were scared sh*tless that they would be left behind. My wife swore to never ever again take a non cruise line tour.

But some people do like to live on the edge. Those are the people we get to take photos of waving goodby to us as the ship sails!

I am planning on booking the Chichen Itza excursion while on the Oasis in February. The fiance and I both realize that 3 1/2 hours probably isn't nearly enough time to explore 6 sq miles and the travel time to get there is long (6 hours of the trip) but the experience will probably be well worth it.

That's a shame you can't climb the pyramid anymore... I was looking forward to that. But we also look forward to seeing the Group of a Thousand Columns and the Temple of the Warriors in person.

Has anyone here actually done the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - CZK8 excursion? If so what was your experience with it and how rushed did you feel or how much did you feel you missed out on?

I am planning on booking the Chichen Itza excursion while on the Oasis in February. The fiance and I both realize that 3 1/2 hours probably isn't nearly enough time to explore 6 sq miles and the travel time to get there is long (6 hours of the trip) but the experience will probably be well worth it.

That's a shame you can't climb the pyramid anymore... I was looking forward to that. But we also look forward to seeing the Group of a Thousand Columns and the Temple of the Warriors in person.

Has anyone here actually done the Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins - CZK8 excursion? If so what was your experience with it and how rushed did you feel or how much did you feel you missed out on?

We visited Chichen Itza while staying in Cancun. The drive from Cancun was very long too. It is awesome & a wonder of the world.

You will be able to see the majority of the key buildings in 3 1/2 hours. The steps of the pyramid are very narrow and difficult to climb. They were having serious tourist injuries from people climbing the pyramid and closed it. Our tour guide said going up wasn't the problem. Getting people down was. The bus the tour company uses for transportation is very comfortable.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to both and in my opinion there is no comparison. Chichen Itza was one of the best tours I have ever been on while Tulum was an almost complete waste of time. The bus ride while long was tolerable with interesting things to see along the way and the guide covers a lot of the history of the area during the ride. Personally I think Chichen Itza in comparable to Xunantunich if you have been there.

Our first excursion on a Caribbean cruise was a trip with HAL to Chichen Itza. Tendered to Playa del Carma....walk through the streets to small grass airstrip...boarded with 15 passengers and 2 Spanish speaking pilots...the plane was literally held together with duct tape....went through a rain storm and the plane leaked...so naive I thought HAL would not put me on a plane if it was not safe....boy did I have a lot to learn....the site is beyond words....at that time we were able to climb the pyramid...I would not trade the experience....that was 1997....in 2001 a small plane crashed and all 17 passengers perished taking off from Chichen Itza on a HAL excursion. Take the bus and enjoy a true wonder of the world..

We went to Chichen Itza in 2003 and had a great time. At the time our port of call was Playa Del Carmen. 3 hours there and 3 hours back on a bus that broke down on the return trip. We stopped at a hacienda and had a great authentic meal buffet style. Went on to Chichen Itza. Toured the ruins and yes climbed the pyramid. It is very steep and 1 side had a rope to hold on to while descending. Then toured the cenote. Overall, I was very impressed. It was HOT. So if you go, plan accordingly.

• 4 months later...

We just came back and ended up doing the tour to Chichen Itza. It was a lot of travel time for not so much exploring time. It was an amazing sight and while we do not regret going and doing it we did question if it had really felt worth it for all of that travel time. 40 minutes for the ferry, 3 hours on a bus and then only 1 1/2 hours mostly on a led tour (due to all the extra time spent herding and grouping people) . We would have loved more time there. The lunch was just a small 6 inch sub, a bag of chips, a cookie and 1 can of soda. We were starving by the time we got back to the ship.

We just came back and ended up doing the tour to Chichen Itza. It was a lot of travel time for not so much exploring time. It was an amazing sight and while we do not regret going and doing it we did question if it had really felt worth it for all of that travel time. 40 minutes for the ferry, 3 hours on a bus and then only 1 1/2 hours mostly on a led tour (due to all the extra time spent herding and grouping people) . We would have loved more time there. The lunch was just a small 6 inch sub, a bag of chips, a cookie and 1 can of soda. We were starving by the time we got back to the ship.

We usually don't do ruins excursions from cruiseships, but rather wait til we're in country visiting or at an AI for this very same reason--just not enough time!

I have been to Chichen Itza, Tulum and just got back from Coba. Chichen Itza is by far the best; however, I wouldn’t plan to do this excursion from a ship. I drove from Cancun and was able to spend lots of time and avoided tour buses. I also drove to Tulum (different day) and again when the tour buses showed up the place was packed. I was able to climb the temple at Chichen Itza but now you can’t. If you don’t ever think you will get an opportunity to ever go to Chichen Itza in the future, I would definitely try to go there. Tullum was very beautiful but very crowed. I tell people it’s like an outdoor museum. You can look but don’t touch. It’s not very spread out so this is something that would be great for older people or people that have a tough time walking. Kids would probably want to go down to the water and play. There is no shade so bring lots of water and wear a hat. Now for Coba which we did as an excursion on the Carnival Magic…well about everyone got sick on the ferry as the water was very choppy (it was a little windy). The ferry ride was about 45 minutes. We got onto a bus and stopped to buy some souvenirs and use the restroom. Our guide was of Mayan descent and was very passionate so the 1.5 hour bus ride didn’t seem too bad. We only had 1.5 hours to visit the ruins (really wished we had more time). We only got to see a small portion of the ruins but were able to climb 138 feet to the top of the main temple. The climb wasn’t bad and the view was awesome. My dad of 68 made the climb with his bad ankle and my 19, 16 and 5 year boys’ wife and I made the climb. A few others didn’t want to try to climb. Some of our party used rickshaws. A two seated bike that one of the locals pedaled around, which was $10. Then it was back to the bus. We did buy a few souvenirs at the ruins but didn’t have any other shopping time. The ferry ride was much better as the water was much calmer. Our excursion was 7 hours so 3 hours on a bus 1.5 hours on a ferry boat were pretty rough. Tulum will probably be the same for many years as most of the restorations have been completed along with Chichen Itza, however, Coba hasn’t been restored much and there are many ruins to be unearthed. So really think about what you want from this type of excursion and choose accordingly. Oh…our tour guide said that you may not be able to climb Coba much longer. He said they may close it down in the next few months. My 5 year old son really enjoyed this excursion but slept the whole way back to the ferry boat. Sorry this is so long.

Archived